Skip navigation
PowerChild_Mike
Currently Being Moderated

Preview in Mountain Lion Doesn't Like Spot Colors

Dec 19, 2012 8:38 AM

Tags: #illustrator #mac #preview #cs6 #spot_colors #mountain_lion

I upgraded to Moutnain Lion and CS6 at the same time, and one thing I've noticed is that Mac's preview doesn't seem to dig on spot colors. Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to be the case with .ai and PDFs. Not a huge deal; when you open the files, the spot colors display properly, but when you view the files within a folder through Finder, click "space" to preview, or view the file as an attachment within Mail, anything with a spot color previews as solid black, which makes the file appear as if something is "off".

My biggest concern with this is if I'm sending a PDF to a client, and they only view it within their Mail app, will it view properly for them? Not knowing the answer, I've taken to converting all of my spot colors to CMYK before I save the proof file, and this way they display properly within Mac's various previews. Just wondering if everyone using Mountain Lion/CS6 are having this issue, or if mine is somehow an isolated case.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to PowerChild_Mike

It's not a Mountain Lion (10.8) issue.. it's a Preview issue and has existed for at least 4 or 5 OS versions.

There's little you can do about it other than ask clients to use Adobe Reader or Acrobat to view proofs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to PowerChild_Mike

I'm having the same problem. When I open the Acrobat Files, the color looks fine. When I look at a PDF with spot colors in Preview Mode, in a Window Column View, or as an email attachment, I see SOME of the spot colors showing up as black, but not all of them. It seems to depend on the particular Spot Color.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points