Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Keywords lost in upgrading from cs5 to cs6

Dec 19, 2012 11:14 AM

Tags: #bridge-keywords #upgrade_keywords #bridge_cs6

Hi,

Recently, I upgraded from Photoshop CS5 to CS6, including Bridge.

A very bad surprise was to find that the keyword system that I had developed and used to assign kewords to new pictures was no longer there.

Apparently, this very important "personal setting" was not transferred in the upgrade procedure.

What can I do to retrieve it?

What is the filename in which Bridge keeps the keywords?

Perhaps I could find it on my system or some backup.

Or, if that won't work:  I notice that when opening an old picture its kwds appear in the kwd panel, although in italics. and not in the hierarchical fashion they should.

However, retrieving my kwds this way would be a terible task if I have to open each of thousands of pictures one by one.

Is there a batch kind of way to do this, that retrieves the kwds from all pix in a folder with subfolders?

Please help,

Sverker

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to Sverk

What type of images?  If RAW believe most of this is kept in XMP file.  If jpeg or others it is written to the image itself.  If the keyword is in italics it means it is not permanent and will not show up if Bridge closed.  To make it permanent you have to visit each picture with a keyword and right click and choose "make persistant".  The search function works good for this.  Right click and choose find.

If you want to replace the list one can do that.  Location?  What OS?

Hope this gets you rolling.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 19, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to Sverk

Perhaps I could find it on my system or some backup.

Depending on your system, on a Mac the keyword list is saved in the user library:

User (your name)/ library / application Support / Adobe / Bridge CS5 / and inhere find and copy the file called: "Adobe Bridge Keywords.xml" and place it in the same location but then CS6 (you have to replace the existing file there because it is by default created as a new empty file in CS6)

Maybe Curt will provide you the path for Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to Sverk

Omke gave you instructions to find file on a Mac as you did not state what OS you are using.  From your last post it appears to be Win7.

If CS5 is running easy was to get the keyword hierarchy is to export keyword file, and import  on CS6.  Find the option in keywords panel dropdown box in upper right corner.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 27, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Sverk

If so, it probably got restored into Win7, but then removed when I uninstalled CS5 in prep for the CS6 installation.

Since I only know about Mac this is a guess but normally uninstall Bridge is not deleting the keyword file unless you use the cleaner tool but also then  doubt the keyword list file is deleted. However if you find the windows equivalent of the Mac Path I provided just open the old keyword file from CS5 in a text application and save it with a proper name on the desktop or elsewhere on a for you easy to find location.

Then use the option Curt provided to import this newly saved file and you should be back in business.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to Sverk

Unfamiliar with MIG file.  The only thing you are going to gain is the keyword hierocracy as the keywords are on the  image.  So seems like it would be less pain to reconstruct the file structure than to do what you are proposing.  For it to succeed you would have to  have a backup copy of the roaming  location files and reinstall CS5. But unless you saved them they were deleted with the uninstall.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 28, 2012 1:59 AM   in reply to Curt Y

So seems like it would be less pain to reconstruct the file structure than to do what you are proposing

I agree with that, often you are spending more time and effort then taking the loss and start rebuilding things manually. My goal would be to put the preview quality to 'prefer embedded' (using the little checkerboard icons top right in Bridge window) and in the folder panel point Bridge to the parent folder containing all your images.

Then go to menu view and choose 'Show items from subfolders' and let Bridge have some time building all the contents of the parent folder (hence the 'prefer embedded' option, this is fast, using HQ preview takes a lot of time and space).

When finished go to the keyword panel and this will show all keywords you have added previously in italic. Use right mouse click menu and choose 'make persistent'. Sadly enough you have to do this one by one, at least I don't know of a way to select them all.

Yes this can be painstakingly but at least you have your list back and now you also know the importance of backing up your stuff. Export the list regularly and also back it up so you won't run in this problem again.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to Sverk

Have not tried this but you may be able to do Ctrl F to bring up Find and then in keyword panel right click on keyword and choose find.  Then highlight all and choose make persistant.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 19, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to Sverk

Do you know if there is an option to stop the immediate writing of changes?

I vaguely seem to remember I'v read about it, but now I can't find any such opotion.

Sadly enough that is a no, Bridge is not multitasking and therefor you have to wait for a first round to be finished before starting the next round, if not you will find some of the keywords from the first session have not been written to the files.

Usually selecting the bunch you want to change and hit some checkmarks for keywords until the activity bar bottom left starts to run, then you have to wait for it to finish

You could also create a new list in a text application (8 bit unicode like the most default simple text apps that came with your system.

A keyword starts at the beginning of the rule, hit return and 1 tab for a sub keyword and for every nested sub keyword further use 1 tab extra

Keyword

Sub keyword 1

Sub keyword 2

Other keyword

other sub keyword 1

etc. etc.

Don't forget to export your new list regularly as a back up so you can import it easily when needed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points