Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Show items from Subfolders in order of folders

Dec 19, 2012 12:25 PM

We want to create a contact sheet of all our images, but we need the order to follow our folder order and not alphabetical order for all the folders combined. I am on CS5, but do have access to CS6 if that can be done there.

We need

folder a (a-z)

folder b (a-z)

folder c (a-z)

and not

all folders combined a-z

our images are named by job number  and to rename each image with an abbreviaotn for brand be a huge task

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 19, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to Mike Gondek

We want to create a contact sheet of all our images, but we need the order to follow our folder order and not alphabetical order for all the folders combined.

The easiest way I can think of is to create a contact sheet per folder and when all are done combine this to one PDF. On a Mac this can be easy done. If you have Acrobat Pro use this and choose add pages, but the simple and default application Apple 'preview' can also do this. Open the files in preview and drag and drop the other files on the first to create one multipage file.

The second easiest way is to rename them all in one batch per folder. You can use Bridge for this task.

If you don't want to destroy the original naming just duplicate the folders (using Bridge, this should provide you from recaching again) to one main folder and point Bridge to the first of the sub folders. Select all files and use the menu Tools/batch rename. Inhere you can set many options but I would choose to add '1-' or '01-' in front of the existing filename. Let it apply the settings and proceed with the next folders using 2- or 02- etc.

Then point Bridge to the main folder and use show items from subfolders and make one contact sheet of the lot that should follow the sort order 01- and 02- when using sort option filename.

There is no difference in options for Output between CS5 and CS6. CS6 is rebuild to 64 bit and should be a bit faster although some Windows users have other experiences and find it acting slower.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Most functions dissapeared with Photoshop CS4, it might be scriptable if have Photoshop CS2/3 though.

With those versions you could do something like this...

createContactSheet(Folder("~").openDlg("*.*",true));

function createContactSheet(selectedFiles) { 
          var cSheetOpts = new ContactSheetOptions;          
      cSheetOpts.acrossFirst    = true; 
      cSheetOpts.bestFit        = false; 
      cSheetOpts.caption       = true; 
      cSheetOpts.flatten      = true; 
      cSheetOpts.resolution    = 300; 
      cSheetOpts.rowCount       = 2;         
      cSheetOpts.columnCount    = 3;          
      cSheetOpts.font         = GalleryFontType.HELVETICA; 
      cSheetOpts.fontSize      = 12; 
      cSheetOpts.height         = 2400/(cSheetOpts.resolution/72); 
      cSheetOpts.width         = 3000/(cSheetOpts.resolution/72);
      cSheetOpts.useAutoSpacing = true; 
      cSheetOpts.vertical       = 8;          // 0..1000 
      cSheetOpts.horizontal     = 8;          // 0..1000 
      cSheetOpts.mode = NewDocumentMode.RGB;  
          app.makeContactSheet(selectedFiles,cSheetOpts); 
    } 

So automating should be possible  with Photoshop CS2 or CS3.

(The old ones are the best )

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to Paul Riggott

Paul,

CS6 brought back Contact Sheet II.  Would this script work there as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to Curt Y

No it's not available in CS6, all it does is callup Xbytors version of ContactSheetII

Scripting would only work with CS2/3.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 20, 2012 4:42 AM   in reply to Paul Riggott

No it's not available in CS6, all it does is callup Xbytors version of ContactSheetII

I still think this is a real shame, no offense to Xbytor because I have used his script for a long period with pleasure but it had its limitations. Instead of getting Xbytor on board to improve the Output Module to an unmissable tool they polished the old script a bit to let it function in CS6.

Don't think putting back discontinued options from 3 versions back  instead of developing new features further is the correct strategy...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

The options have been put back in CS6 but they just don't work, just another CS6 bug.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 20, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to Paul Riggott

The options have been put back in CS6 but they just don't work, just another CS6 bug.

??

Just tried it for testing on my Mac with 10.7.5 and had no problems at all to create a contact sheet using the basic settings, first attempt showed partly filename and second attempt with same files and altering font size from 12 to 9 did work as expected.

I do have the Cloud version with the latest Cloud update for PS (13.1), did not try it before so it might have been fixed in the latest update?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Interesting, could be that us poor windows non cloud people might have to wait until CS7.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 21, 2012 2:10 AM   in reply to Paul Riggott

Interesting, could be that us poor windows non cloud people might have to wait until CS7.

Of course I fully agree with the combination of poor and Windows...

But I'm not sure you have to wait for CS7, I don't think the update was needed for Windows perpetual license, only had something to do with the Retina Display of newer Macs according to this blog (did not read it fully myself):

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2012/12/photoshop-13-0-313-1-1- updates-now-available.html

And the Cloud update was meant for problems occurring with Cloud install but yes, it seems they want to let benefit Cloud subscribers earlier with updates for newer features.

There seems to be a possibility to only subscribe for PS in the cloud but it also seems hard to find info about this, try the education section on the Adobe site.

It is also a choice, once you quit the Cloud you are on your own because you don't have a working copy left on your system like you do when having bought a copy yourself.

For me having PS, Bridge and Premiere Pro at hand including the option of also using InDesign, Acrobat Pro and Illustrator (need it to use occasionally) is very useful.  Having a small business myself, it was not a hard choice to make. Monthly predictable costs for the whole Master Suite and up to date software are very useful for my situation. It's all about weighing the pro's and con's.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 2:41 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

As an old age pensioner I don't have the need for the Cloud. Unfortunatley the Retina update has caused a lot of problems for a lot of people and a lot of scripts that I and others have written, the up side is it only affects Macs To zoom to a certain percentage uses the Print Size that has now been removed from the Macs. Still waiting for the promised script from Adobe as a replacement.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 21, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to Paul Riggott

the up side is it only affects Macs:)

There is always a bright side for someone...

but serious, it is indeed sad to hear older scripts are useless due to an update. Proves again that changing is not always synonym with improvement

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to Paul Riggott

Hey OAP put the top bar on that fire… I paid enough tax to cover your winter allowance… You have no need for cloud because yorkshire is covered with it…

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2012 6:52 AM   in reply to Muppet Mark

Thank you Mark, when it's snowing, raining or blowing a gale I will be looking out of the window with the central heating on full, thinking of you and others contributing to my winter allowance

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to Paul Riggott

Paul, your welcome, I've a lot to learn so crank it up…

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points