Skip navigation
Mark532011
Currently Being Moderated

basic question - strange icon in sceneview

Dec 19, 2012 3:54 PM

I've been using Elements 7 for a long time and have never run across this. My guess is it is something really basic but I can't find any way to ask the right question in the Elements Help. I know this is old Elements 7 but I haven't upgraded yet....and it may be the same in the new Elements if this is a built-in function of some kindpic1.jpg

I have several unprotected .VOB files ripped from my dvd. I added them all into my project. Numbers 1,2 work perfectly. I can add them to the sceneview, cut them apart, etc.

VOB #3,#4,#5 work differently. When I add them to the sceneview, they have a little double-square in the upper right corner of the window (see image) and I can't do anything with them.. I can't delete them from the sceneline, I can't right-click and select "ungroup" or anything. I can't cut them up or select portions. I can play them but I notice they don't show in the timeline either (see picture). basically every time one of these gets added I have to  reload the project becuase I can't get rid of it.

Can anyone tell me what the name of the little icon is supposed to be so I can search help for it?

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to Mark532011

I can't help with your question, but if you Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549 it may give you general help

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 5:16 PM   in reply to Mark532011

I have never seen that icon, so can only speculate.

As VOB's contain the MPEG-2 AV files, and they are often spanning several VOB's (each VOB can only be ~ 1GB, so longer MPEG-2's will span across two, or more), it might be that the MPEG-2 inside those VOB's does span several.

When you switch to Timeline View Mode, do you notice anything different, with regards to those VOB's? Are those files (actually the MPEG's in the VOB's) movable, in Timeline View Mode?

I Imported a full DVD of VOB's, into a Project, but did not get that icon, in Scenline View Mode.

When you hover over that icon, do you get a Tooltip, explaining what it means?

Unfortunately, I never work in Sceneline View Mode, and seldom work with VOB's, so it might be simple to explain, but I cannot do so.

Good luck, and maybe someone else will recognize the icon, and can explain what it signifies, and also why you seem to be locked out of editing those particular Clips.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I cover this in my books!

That icon indicates that you have video on an upper video track -- either a media clip or a title. If you switch to Expert view you'll be able to see the clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

Thank you for that. I had looked through the Muvipix Guide to PrE 7, but did not see that icon. Now I understand why it did not appear in my tests, as even in Sceneline View Mode, I had dragged the VOB's to the Video 1 Track. Makes sense now.

I was close, in suggesting that the OP look at things in Timeline View Mode, as that would have revealed those VOB's on Video 2, or higher.

Greatly appreciated, and I learned something new about Sceneline View Mode, which I have almost never used.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I've got to get you a new Muvipix Guide, Bill! Drop me a private message if you're using a newer version of the program. The Guides have greatly exanded since version 7!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points