• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 Mac Updater Failed - How I fixed it

Contributor ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed a fresh CS6 Production Premium on a freshly installed 10.7.8 OSX laptop. After the install, went to Photoshop, Updates and it brought up the Adobe Application Manager. Checked off all the boxes and every install failed after a lengthy download period.

Uninstalled, reboot, reinstalled, same thing. Downloaded the new AAM, same problem. This is no mean feat considering each uninstall and download attempt takes over an hour. I did not want to manually download all the app updaters.

Errors reported were worded differently depending on the AAM version:

Another instance of deployment is already running. Error Code: U44M1I11

Sorry! Adobe patch installer doesn't seem to be running

Solution was archiac. Apparently the AAM forks out another install process for the root user when I start it up. So the updates fail because my local user and the root user are both running the updater application at the same time. No idea why it would do this as the local user is also the admin. Baffling behavior, Adobe, truly baffling.

I had to enable the root user, give it a password, then open up a Terminal session. I used su to become root. Then I had to navigate to:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/PDApp/Core and execute ./PDApp.app

At that point, it was running the AAM as root, and I still had to login as myself to the Adobe.com website for it to properly check for updates. Again, baffling and annoying. But it found the updates and installed them after several hours of screwing around.

Finally I have to remember to go in and disable the root user for security purposes. Oh yeah, every time there's a new update available, I have to go through all these steps again.

Adobe: Pretty tired of this and the lack of any KB articles or assistance in these forums. Finally google tracked down the solution from another user on his Wordpress Blog for the same issue with CS5. Very disappointed at the amount of wasted time on this. Also, before I could post this message, I had to input a "Screen Name" and every single damn combination of screen names I could think of was taken. I even tried "Decker120908327128937129837" and it didn't accept it, because yeah, chances are that screen name is really in use, huh?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! (I should repeat that about 20 times)

After days of fiddling around with manual downloads, Adobe (non)support, uninstall, reinstall, etc. I found your post because I too finally went for a completely new installation (OS 10.8.4, Adobe Master Collection). When I ran the updater tool after the new install I got different errors than I had before and one of them led me to this post (U44M1I11).

Hopefully I can return the favor. Not really wanting to go through all the effort that you've described, I ran the updater again with Activity Monitor open. As you said, suddenly another instance of AAM sprung up with root as the user. I immediately killed it (force quit) and the original instance under my user name kept running, finished the download and the installation!

Perhaps the bold and exclamation is too much, but this issue has been plaguing me on two separate Macs and has wasted countless hours. Good luck out there folks.

Error Codes Involved: U44M2P7 U44M1P7 U44M1I11 U44M1I10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using 10.8 and a fresh CS6 install, I ran into the same problem. Actually I'm the guy at the original post and it wasn't until I read the username and said, "hey that problem sounds familiar" did I realize I've been down this road before. This time, my initial "Not This Again" started with this lovely and completely useless error message:

Installation Successful. Error Code: U44M1I0

Anyway, my new fix is to download the latest Creative Cloud Update Manager (ApplicationManager7.0_all.dmg). Log in with an Adobe account, and it should find all your CS6 updates. Let it download all the updates and see if it works. If it fails, you should have the installers located in your ~Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdater/1.0/Install location. Sadly, those still have the root access issue, so my fix was to:

Double click all those installers to open their DMG files

Enable root

su in Terminal

Navigate to the various Volumes from the above DMG files, enter the AdobePatchInstaller folder, keep going past Contents/MacOs and then do a ./AdobePatchInstaller, ie:

./Volumes/PremiereProTrial-6.0.5-mul-AdobeUpdate/AdobePatchInstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobePatchInstaller

That will run the patch installer as root and install them fine. Again, Adobe - you really dropped the ball on this. I am amazed that more people aren't struggling with this problem. I have nothing complicated about my setup, it's a fresh brand new 10.8 system with a fresh CS6 install, and the updater simply does not work out of the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi decker1222,

Please check the below link for resolution.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-u44m1p7-installing-updates-ccm.html

Let us know if it works.

Regards,

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 11, 2013 Oct 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In no way did this solve the problem. CS6 was installed on a completely fresh, empty system, so uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help a bit. On a test system right next to me it is literally the only thing installed on there other than Mountain Lion.

Also, on my primary system where I solved the problem using my above solution, the Creative Cloud updater is still telling me that I have 4 updates ready to install - even though I manually installed them yesterday using the DMG files. Opening Photoshop tells me that I am on the latest version. So the CC updater widget isn't even checking my version numbers properly.

Other than my method, it looks like the only other way to do this is to ignore the auto updater and download the individual DMG files and patch them all manually. That's a huge pest especially if I had 10 or more users, and it's my bet that I need to do several incremental updates in a particular order, similiar to the fiasco with Acrobat 7 years ago when it's auto updater stopped functioning for reasons unknown.

If you read the first post, you'll see a user had a similiar problem with CS5 a couple of years ago, and it looks like the problems persisted to CS6. Fortunately not many of these patches seem to have any show stopping bug fixes or massive improvements, so I probably won't bother going through this again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree it's absurd that the updaters run as user and root (and consequently fails) - I'm still having this issue

I fixed it by downloading the updates manually from here: Product updates

then running the update as root

I did this by:

Running the downloaded DMG file

Right clicking on 'AdobePatchInstaller' file > 'Show Package Contents'

The file you're after is Contents > MacOS > AdobePatchInstaller

Then open Terminal

Type 'sudo ' then drag that file into Terminal

You'll be prompted for you password, but for me that ran the installer without errors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I just got a new MBP last month and installed CC 2014 on it... and lo and behold, the exact same problem when trying to run the updater. This is a completely fresh system and yet, the Adobe Updater still won't run on it unless I follow these instructions that I typed up YEARS ago.

Does this mean that nobody has ever been able to use the Adobe Updater to update their programs, because I sure haven't ever been able to unless I use my fix that I wrote about in 2012. I've had this problem now on 3 different versions of the software, on at least 3 different machines, running 3 different versions of the Mac OS.

You can also run Photoshop using the sudo technique (or as root) and then select Updates from the Help menu. That will spawn the updater as root, since you spawned Photoshop as root, and the updates should run and install successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

the solution is to install the updates one by one.

once you did; the next time you run one the installed adobe applications; a message will appear to ask you to show the exact place of the software.

just reselect the correct place and it work.

Regards

Hadi FARAJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud 2015 just told me I have 7 updates to install. Tried to install a one of them at random and got this exact same error message that I reported over 3 years ago. I'm on a different Mac, running a different OS (El Capitan) and it still won't auto update. Thankfully I could go back to my post to get the fix for it.

Great job, Adobe!

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 11.20.46 AM.png

Here's some text of the error to help Google out in indexing this problem so when every other Adobe CC user in the entire world gets this error message, they'll know where to look.

Update Failed

There was an error installing this update. Please try again later or contact customer support. (U44M1|11)

U44M1|11   U44M111

Adobe Creative Cloud 2015 Updater

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, forget my above message, because the way you do it has changed for Adobe CC 2015. Now it no longer works no matter what I try and to be honest I don't want to screw around with this for another 5 hours just to get some bullcrap minor updates to the software that I won't gain any advantage to installing.

Guess I won't be applying any updates to any of my Adobe CC 2015 programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines