Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need to see document size in inches, not pixels

Dec 20, 2012 1:03 PM

The measurement circled in this picture:

http://i.imgur.com/pcoHo.jpg

... needs to be in inches, not pixels. Doable?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to Racidio

Why do you want it in inches?  The size in inches is dependant on the medium.  For instance pixels per inch.  So depending on the ppi setting it will change the size in inches, that is why the best dimension is pixels. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2012 1:54 AM   in reply to Racidio

... needs to be in inches, not pixels. Doable?

While agreeing with Curt that inches are also depending of ppi I tried a bit myself and have a strange outcome. Some files have these info and most files not. I have some files of an other camera I haven't set a custom ACR setting for and they also still show on the default 240 ppi setting ACR uses after default install. They have the info in inches showing. Also some saved jpeg and PSD files show but most of them don't show it.

You can also set the option for inches showing under thumbnails using Bridge Thumbnails tab and under details choose the info form the pop up menu.

The default setting in Bridge preferences Metadata tab is hide empty fields (should be so because otherwise you have ton's of blank fields showing) and therefore the field only shows if the info is there in the metadata itself.

Really don't know the reason why some have it and others not. But again, like Curt already stated, the pixel info is the most reliable, having an image of 17,28 inches width at 300 ppi and without resample the image choosing 100 ppi using PS image size makes it 51,84 inches width. Yet the pixels in both scenarios stay at 5184 width

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 5:51 PM   in reply to Racidio

If you read my post #1 you realize that changing the ppi setting changes the image size.  So you have to have more info to have program give you size in inches.  In Bridge I see a size in inches, but it has some arbitrary resolution set (ppi) so seems like that is not helpful to anyone unless using the same resolution for printing.

To see the size problem, open Photoshop and click edit/image size.  Uncheck "resample image" so the image size stays the same.  Then change the ppi and see how the image size changes.

So someone has to determine the ppi first.  If you have an image size in pixels, and set the ppi, PS will compute the image size.  Can not see option in Bridge to change resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Should mention that if resample in PS is checked then changing either the image size or resolution will change the pixel dimension.  This will effect image quality.  There is no free lunch.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 1:45 AM   in reply to Racidio

Bridge is far more raster orientated file browser… If you need to see info for your other file formats such as AI, EPS & PDF then you could take a look at these Inspector Panels…

They are in my prefered mm units as is. I had expected this to have been sorted by now so never bothered to update them but I can update them if you need this…

There are 3 AI file formats and 1 for ID

http://www.ps-scripts.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=44ce3dcea43bc775dc 6922c84aab1311

Bridge will calculate your graphic's so called pixel dimensions @ 72dpi

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points