Skip navigation
LivingstonAtLarge
Currently Being Moderated

Original File Fine, Output File Noisy

Dec 21, 2012 9:24 AM

Tags: #noise #processing #noisy

I did some editing and such on a .mov file last night and when I played it back it was pretty noisy. I thought maybe it was because I shot from the hip so to speak before I learned about doubling the frame rate for shutter speed etc.

However, I happened to play the original file today and notice it is not noisy at all, so somehow in post processing I introduced the noise?

Thanks,

Ginger

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to LivingstonAtLarge

>somehow in post processing

Well... what did you DO to the video?

What effects did you use, and what was your export setting?

Some reading...

Importing Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1065281

-and project settings http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1112086

Saving & Sharing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1051093

Sharing for Computer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058237

Steve's Basic Training Tutorials... steps are the same for several versions

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to John T Smith

I'm with John.

What model of camcorder did you shoot this video in and what format and resolution is it?

What version of the program are you editing it in?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 6:04 PM   in reply to LivingstonAtLarge

Well, this is what happens when you start a new topic mid-conversation. We can't see the history so we don't know what we've already discussed.

That said, what project settings do you see listed when you go to Edit/Project Settings?

Also, which Publish & Share options did you select to output your MOV?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to LivingstonAtLarge

I find Shadow & Highlight to be a useful Effect, but it can "get ugly" quickly. I also do not find the Auto Shadow & Highlight function to be that useful, unless everything stays the exact same in the whole Clip, such as lighting and exposure.

I also like to use the Levels Effect first, then a bit of "touchup" with S&H. Not sure if PrE now has the non-Auto version of Levels, but if not, then 3-way Color Corrector can do much the same, with even more control.

For video noise, usually apparent, when the Clip is underexposed to begin with, I use Neat Video. I believe that it works in PrE. In PrPro, and even on my workstation, Neat Video does take some time to process and Render. Still, with some tweaking, it is very useful - albeit slow. I probably use it most, when restoring and editing older VHS tapes. [There is a stills version, Neat Image, that works great in Photoshop.]

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to LivingstonAtLarge

If you do start a new discussion that is related to or a continuation of a different discussion, all you need to do is post the link to the other discussion so people have an easy way to find out what was discussed before

Such as http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1118374

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to LivingstonAtLarge

There are a couple of ways to handle posts with different topics, but related to perhaps the same specifications (computer, Projects, Source Files, etc.).

With multiple questions/problems, I like to separate the posts, rather than have one, that covers so very much territory. Often, we see posts posing a dozen questions/problems, and then the Replies start coming in, but only address some of them. If the responders do a good job of block quoting, it's usually OK, but often questions/problems get missed. I might have something to offer on 4 of the 12, and so might the next person. Over time, all points might get addressed, but not that often. A question, or two, almost always gets left off. By separating the questions/problems, contributors can address them one-at-a-time, which is usually most efficient.

However, what does the OP do, so that the necessary data is provided in each? John T. points to one method. Another would be to do a Copy/Paste of the necessary data, and make sure that it is included, where necessary. I like the latter, as it does not then require responders to have multiple windows, or tabs open, and go back and forth between them. Some people might be trying to help out on a dozen threads in a given day, and keeping each separate can be an issue. I try to help them out, however I can. Now, the Copy/Paste method DOES make the thread a bit longer, but keeps things in front of the responders.

If I have multiple problems, and some might relate to my system, while others might be specific to my Project, I will do a WordPerfect document with ALL of the info in it, system, Project, Source Footage, Applied Effects, etc., and then selectively Copy/Paste from that.

Also, if I come up with another problem, I will re-state what I believe is the pertinent data, so that responders can see that quickly. If I feel that there are Replies, that might be useful in that thread, but appeared in the previous one, then I always link to it, and explain why I have done so.

It takes some experience in these forums (or any, that are similar), to know what necessary info is, in opposition to information overload. We see the latter, when one does a Copy/Paste of a 20 page crash log, etc.. Not easy to read, and often really tough to extract any useful data from. I feel the same about posts that are 90% the gory details of how tight the deadline is, and how one's entire college semester hinges on getting the answer to finish the Project, before class the next morning. A quick statement of having a deadline is adequate to urge responders to "please hurry." [I won't go into a diatribe on using an unfamiliar program, at the last minute, for an important Project.]

With John T's link to the previous thread, responders can head there for more info. I feel that neither method is 100% correct, or even wrong, in any way. Sometimes, it's just a personal choice, and if all the necessary data IS included elsewhere, then completely re-stating it, does make the thread fairly long.

Hope that you get some useful responses, and can find fixes, or workarounds.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to LivingstonAtLarge

Hi Ginger

Your source video is progressive, but you have used sequence setting with "upper field first" set in the field.

The video from Canon T3i must be an mov. It is not HDV, HDV is from a tape based camera .

Select a sequence from DSLR dropdown in new sequence setting.

Then, make sure you've select progressive in fields in export dialogue as well.

Hope it helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to LivingstonAtLarge

Thanks for reporting the results Ginger.

Enjoy working on Premiere Elements

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 5:07 PM   in reply to LivingstonAtLarge

Ginger,

That is great news, and congradulations!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points