Skip navigation
Mollup
Currently Being Moderated

Add notes for pictures in Lightroom 4

Dec 22, 2012 8:32 AM

Hello,

I would like to add notes to some pictures in my Lightroom catalog. I know how to use keywords, but in some cases keywords are not enough. For example if you want to note the names of a group of persons from left to right. You can enter the names as keywords, but then the names will be sort alphabetically - so you have the names, but later no information who is who on the picture! I would like to enter notes to some pictures, but don't know how I can do that in Lightroom? I think about many cases where notes would be helpful. Another example is, if you would like to describe a situation, which the picture shows (What happend there? Background information to the picture or something like this). You only can enter keywords, but you are not able to enter some sentences. Do you know an existing solution or could this be a new feature in Lightroom? I prefer to add notes to the Lightroom catalog not directly into the metadata (like EXIF or XMP).

Can someone help me? Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 22, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to Mollup

In Lightroom, you can use the caption field in the Metadata Panel in the Library Module. I don't know if there's a maximum number of characters for a caption, but I haven't hit it yet!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to Mollup

Indeed the simplest solution is to use an existing IPTC field. If not caption, pick another one...

If you run out of IPTC fields, or prefer not to use them, consider a plugin:

BigNote (John Beardy)

CustomMetadata (Rob Cole)

Internet search for them by name, author, and "Lightroom plugin".

Pros: Keeps IPTC fields free, can provide more than one field, notes will not be in XMP, nor exported photos.

Cons: notes will not be in XMP, nor exported photos, (and of course: Requires a plugin).

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to dj_paige

A limitation to the caption field is that it doesn't allow carriage returns.

I, too, am looking for a way to add detailed information to images. I'm scanning literally thousands of family prints and slides and I'd like a way to record a variety of details, including who is in the photos, how they were scanned, etc., and I don't want to rely soley on keywords. So far, I haven't found what I want. Photoshop Elements has a free text comment field that was very handy. Is there an equivalent in Lightroom?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to jonstot

I have added carriage returns to captions.

Ctrl-Enter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 5:59 PM   in reply to dj_paige

You're too fast, dj!

After I posted, I played around with the caption field a bit more and discovered that if I click on "Large Caption" in the metadata drop-down menu, it displays a larger caption entry box which allows carriage returns. Unfortunately, it also hides all of the other exif information, so it takes another mouse click to return to the full exif display once you've completed your entry. Doesn't seem like it should have to be either/or, but that's the way LR is programmed, I guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 9:01 PM   in reply to jonstot

Fields will expand (in UI) as needed to display all lines.

Ctrl-J in Windows or Option-Enter (Mac) for carriage-return/line-feed in any IPTC field.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 4:14 AM   in reply to jonstot

But my comment doesn't apply just to the Large Caption field. It applies to all metadata fields. (And I haven't tested this, but the Large Caption is just a larger starting box, it isn't otherwise different than the Caption field in any way ... both accept the same amount of text)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 4:19 AM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

I haven't tested this, but the Large Caption is just a larger starting box, it isn't otherwise different than the Caption field in any way ... both accept the same amount of text

that is correct

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Not so - on my system, at least. In the default caption box, CRs are interpreted by LR to mean "Exit text editing", not "Insert a CR into the text". In Large Caption, CRs are actually inserted into the text, so it behaves like a normal text editing window. I think dj_paige implied that you can add a CR by typing Ctrl-Enter. Perhaps so (I'm not at my LR computer so I can't test), but that's not really how I'd prefer to do it.

Either my LR is set up differently than others', or I'm doing a poor job of explaining myself. Probably both.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 12:19 PM   in reply to jonstot

I don't think anyone said pressing ENTER means anything other than "exit text editing".

I said Ctrl-Enter is a carriage return (Windows), Rob added that Ctrl-J or Option-Enter (Mac) also is a carriage return.

dj_paige implied that you can add a CR by typing Ctrl-Enter. Perhaps so (I'm not at my LR computer so I can't test), but that's not really how I'd prefer to do it.

Why not? What is your objection?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

I don't think anyone said pressing ENTER means anything other than "exit text editing".

I said Ctrl-Enter is a carriage return (Windows), Rob added that Ctrl-J or Option-Enter (Mac) also is a carriage return.

Right. - and FWIW, if I remember correctly, prior to Lr4, Ctrl-J was the *only* windows keystroke to get a carriage return into metadata.

jonstot: I doubt the functionality of  'Enter' vs. 'Ctrl-Enter' is likely to change anytime soon. Probably worthwhile to just get used to it. If really nagging you, consider keyboard re-mapping solutions, e.g. via plugins, or auto-hotkey...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

if I remember correctly, prior to Lr4, Ctrl-J was the *only* windows keystroke to get a carriage return into metadata

my memory is different, Ctrl-Enter worked in LR3

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to dj_paige

I have always used Ctrl-Enter, as far back as I can remember. I wasn't aware you could use Ctrl-J, until Rob's post

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to gvb279

Perhaps I am mistaken then - I was pretty sure it changed, on Windows-only I mean, somewhere Lr2/3 time frame, but maybe I'm slipping... .

Sorta academic at this point anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 6:41 PM   in reply to dj_paige

No objection, really; it's more a matter of degree. I'm using the caption field more for free-form notes, which are typically several sentences long, so having a working Enter key is preferable. I'm just happy I learned that I can get it to work the way I want in the Large Caption window, so I'm good!

Perhaps I'm pushing my luck here, but do you know if LR text searches include text in the metadata caption field? Again, I can't test it myself right now, just curious. [Later: in answer to my own question - yes, they do.]

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points