Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Help | 3D rendering and saving (Photoshop CS5 Extended)

Dec 22, 2012 12:44 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 22, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to Community Help

What happened to the Render settings in CS6? For example, there is no Scene Settings menu, so there are no Face, Edge, or Vertex options.  The Scene Properties panel no longer has a Quality menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Sengstack

There are pop-up menus with options for Surface, Lines and Points in the Properties panel when Scene is selected in 3D panel. There's a High Quality Threshold control in Preferences > 3D.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to conroy

I'm aware of the pop-up menus. I don't know that they relate to final, Ray Traced rendering. I think they relate only to Open GL rendering, that is, how the 3D object is displayed in real-time. I think they are more useful as a means to see how the 3D object is built.

I also don't know how the CS6 Surface, Lines and Points menus relate to the CS5 Face, Edge or Vertex options.

As for the High Quality Threshold option...that applies only to the Ray-Traced render and it is a feature in both CS5 and CS6.

What I'm curious about is what happened to Face, Edge, and Vertex. It appears they have been rearanged and put in the Surface, Lines and Points menus but I'm not sure why and what their functionality is (if any) in terms of the final render.

And I'm wondering what happened to the Render Settings -- Interactive, Ray-Traced Draft, and Ray Traced Final -- and why they were removed (or tucked away in some hard-to-find location) in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 7:21 PM   in reply to Sengstack

Sengstack wrote:

I'm aware of the pop-up menus. I don't know that they relate to final, Ray Traced rendering. I think they relate only to Open GL rendering, that is, how the 3D object is displayed in real-time. I think they are more useful as a means to see how the 3D object is built.

The best way to discover what the options do is to try them. I find Points set to "Constant", and Lines set to "Constant", "Flat" and "Bounding Box" will appear in raytraced renderings. There doesn't seem to be an option to anti-alias lines and points, unfortunately.

I also don't know how the CS6 Surface, Lines and Points menus relate to the CS5 Face, Edge or Vertex options.

These menus contain the same items in CS6 as in CS5, plus a few new Surface styles. However, CS6 uses the words Surface, Line and Point instead of their CS5 synonyms Face, Edge and Vertex.

As for the High Quality Threshold option...that applies only to the Ray-Traced render and it is a feature in both CS5 and CS6.

Yes.

What I'm curious about is what happened to Face, Edge, and Vertex. It appears they have been rearanged and put in the Surface, Lines and Points menus but I'm not sure why and what their functionality is (if any) in terms of the final render.

They were renamed possibly because many users will be newcomers to 3D and unfamiliar with the more mathematical terms. Their functionality doesn't seem to have changed from CS5 to CS6. Try them and see.

And I'm wondering what happened to the Render Settings -- Interactive, Ray-Traced Draft, and Ray Traced Final -- and why they were removed (or tucked away in some hard-to-find location) in CS6.

Ray Traced Draft is no more, Interactive is the interactive OpenGL mode where you arrange the scene and/or paint on the models. Ray Traced Final is now simply Render.

Play around with the software to learn what it does.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 10:16 PM   in reply to conroy

Very helpful. And I've been playing around with the 3D features for quite a while. Just trying to tie up some loose ends. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 10:21 PM   in reply to Community Help

Please Help!!!

Can I use photoshop 3D file to replace 3D max modeling file?

For example: Render a ring by photoshop 3D, and use the file for model making.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 10:55 PM   in reply to sophiarabbitone

You can export any 3D layer with one or more 3D objects in that layer. But you can not export it as a MAX or as a 3DS file. 3DS is the one file type that PS can import but cannot export. You can export a 3D layer  as a Collada DAE, Flash FL3, Google Earth KMZ, U3D or a Wavefront OBJ 3D model.

To create the ring (or any other mesh preset), create an empty layer, open the 3D panel, click the Mesh from Preset radio button, select the mesh preset from the drop-down list (it includes ring and donut), and click Create.

To export that layer, select the layer and then choose 3D > Export 3D Layer, select a 3D model format, a file folder location and a file name and then click Save.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 2:34 AM   in reply to Community Help

i rendered a 3d object in cs 6 extended but when its done rendering it dissaperes how to i got the file to png to jpeg ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to JoeM2116

Normally it doesn't disappear and you just Save As.  You may be experiencing a display driver bug.  Check the web site of the maker of your video card (if you're on PC) to see if they've released updated driver siftware.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to Community Help

Can anyone offer any help?

I'm trying to create 3d shapes derived from images that will go to 3d printers.  Saving a CS6 3d layer as an OBJ file works fine to convet to STL in a program like Meshlab, or Netfabb that could then go on to print.

However, my idea relies on using Photoshop's cross section feature to cut my objects in half, which is all well and good for viewing on screen, but it appears all the 3d object's data is preserved in the layer, meaning that once I open my OBJ file in other 3d programs, the object is no longer the cross section, but the whole once again.

Is there a way of rendering/saving the CS6 3d layer that will delete the hidden area, giving me just the shape I see on screen?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points