Skip navigation
this is the pope
Currently Being Moderated

color banding in Premiere exports

Dec 22, 2012 5:14 PM

Tags: #premiere #quicktime #gradient_banding

I have imported QT animation codec files into Premiere and then re-exported them in variety of lossless formats and it seems like Premiere always introduces an ugly banding on gradients.

The original files are vector art with loads of gradients that are outputted from AE and look fine (they do exhibit some slight banding but nothing serious):

unrendered.png

I export them from Premiere at maximum bit depth, without using the preview files and in a variety of codecs but they all introduce more banding  (mostly evident in the dark grays which introduce a visibile fringing):

rendered.png

The thing is that the fringing is introduced when the source files are ingested. When I open them in the source monitor they already have this banding.

I'm on

PP CS6

Win7 x64

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 23, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to this is the pope

It's very dependent on the codec chosen for your sequence preview files and your choice of codec for export.  QT animation at 100% quality creates 4:4:4 chroma-subsampled files.  Many export codecs cannot duplicate that.  Read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to this is the pope

The banding is more likely related to bit depth, which is what determines the number of possible color gradations in a video file.

https://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2010/06/understanding_color_processi ng.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 7:46 PM   in reply to this is the pope

Did you find a solution to your banding problem ?

I ask because I'm experiencing a similar problem with gradients.

My .avi footage exported from a 16 bit  After Effects CS6 composition looks fine, but when I export the video from Premiere Pro CS6, in H.264 there's terrible colour banding, whether I check Maximum Bit Depth or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to El_Plates

That's because your export is only 8 bit.  This is normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Does choosing H.264 for export limit it to 8 bit ?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 5:10 PM   in reply to El_Plates

Yep.

You can get to 10 bit with H.264 compression by choosing an MXF OP1a export and the AVC-I 100 codec.  It's a very good Master format, but has limited use outside of that.  (You can't put it on DVD or Blu-ray, you can't add it to a web page, very few players will handle the format for computer viewing.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2013 6:34 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Thanks, Jim.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 1:19 AM   in reply to this is the pope

I have the same Problems. I am cutting with H264 files from a Canon 5D Mark III. When I render the sequence the preview files have banding problems. When I export the sequence, I also have banding problems. I tried different setting and codecs for rendering and export. Also ProRes 422HQ, 4444 does not work.

When I export a H264 to ProRes422HQ directly in quicktime I get perfect results without banding.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 9:55 PM   in reply to FriederDorm

That's interesting. Thank you. Whichever settings I choose, I must make sure it produces the best possible results for uploading to Vimeo.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 2:02 AM   in reply to El_Plates

Quicktime is not the best programm for every format. For flash I prefer Adobe Media Encoder. But when you make quicktimes like H264 or ProRes you get much more better results with Quicktime Pro than exporting the files with Media Encoder. I don´t know why but thats my experience.

The main issue ist getting a good result out of Premiere to encode it in any other format. When the export from premiere ist not satisfying (like ist is in my case) you won´t get a better result with quicktime pro.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to FriederDorm

All this guessing and experimenting is fine, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. What is the official ADOBE's advice on this????

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points