Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Poor DVD Quality

Dec 23, 2012 4:27 AM

Hi,

I created a MP2 video in Premiere Pro CS6 at 1280x768 (4:3)

I import into Encore CS6

I set the DVD to 9 mbps and check the option to render at highest quality...

However, after building the project onto the DVD, then playing it back from the DVD...

The quality is poor (with jaggies etc)

I tried every setting I could find.

Yet, if I create the MP2 video onto a DVD using Corel DVD Factory... the quality is great!!

So, how is it that a small software such as Corel can give better quality then Encore??

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 23, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to fwhilton

The DVD spec limits resolution to 720 x 576 (PAL), 720 x 480 (NTSC). Encore therefore had to transcode your footage (downconvert) to meet the DVD spec when it rendered the disc. Unless you had Encore set to use AME as it's rendering engine, Encore transcoded internally. There's not a lot of respect out there for Encore's internal transcoding.

That coupled with the small bit rate that DVD's are allowed by the DVD specification could account for the "jaggies" you are seeing.

fwhilton wrote:

Yet, if I create the MP2 video onto a DVD using Corel DVD Factory... the quality is great!!

So, how is it that a small software such as Corel can give better quality then Encore??

Am I missing something?

This again points default transcoding from Encore. Either transcode to the correct DVD settings directly out of PPro using AME, or set Encore to use AME when transcoding. Results of this workflow should meet or exceed what you get from Corel.

Just to save you from looking that up, in Encore that's Edit...Preferences...General, and check the tickbox for "Transcode assets using Adobe Media Encoder application".

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to fwhilton

Export from PPro as MPEG2 DVD, which gives separate video and audio files to import in Encore for authoring

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to fwhilton

Where did you get a 1280x768 source file? That is not standard video sizing and could be the root of your issue. What is the video source/specs? Sequence preset used in Premiere for editing? A 720p source would be 1280x720.

Thanks

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to fwhilton

Can you elaborate of the source of the video content, and why you chose that odd sizing? Helps us to help you if we understand the process

Thanks

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to fwhilton

I am experiencing the EXACT same issue with quality with a few exceptions:

• Sequences were imported from Premiere Pro CS6 projects to author a DVD.
    • The quality in the monitor was horrific, and the output was equally bad. The entire video looked like it had rolling shutter. Yes, AME was set as the rendering engine.
    • My next step in the troubleshooting process was to export my videos from PPro @ 1920 x 1080 using both h.264 and Quicktime presets at the highest quality. Note, please don't tell me you don't need to pre-render in PPro because I left the rendering to the software and there was a discernable difference in the quality when I did not render manually! Not only did I need to render each sequence, but after creating one separate sequence with the 6 smaller sequences and that sequence needed rendering too. Thanks for wasting another 4 hours of my time Adobe.
    • The new video files were imported and I manually set my chapter markers and poster frames.
    • Menus were customized in Photoshop CS6. To give you an idea of the difference in the quality of the output here's an example:

1-PS Screen Cap.jpg 2-Video Screen Cap.jpg

• These images were captured from my Apple 27" Cinema Display. The first image is a screen cap of the PS doc full screen, The next image is a screen cap of the DVD output full screen. Notice a difference? Yeah, me too, so it's not just me, is it? On a 40" HDTV the DVD looks like a second grader produced it.
    • Also, I tried using every Quality Preset, outputting the file to a disk image and appending a numerical suffix for each setting to differentiate between all.

What's particularly distressing is that I can play the video file on an iMac, stream it to my 40" Samsung via Apple TV and it looks flawless, crystal clear and incredibly sharp. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm far from a noob.

I DID NOT export the videos as MPEG2 DVD files because in my mind that would not affect the quality of the menus I created in Photoshop. A PS doc is a PS doc is a PS doc. There should be no discernable difference.

FOR THE GROUP - What do I need to do to produce a DVD that looks as sharp as when I play my video on my cinema display or stream it via Air Play?

frustrated_emoticon.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to Steve_Knepp

Hi Steve,

So it appears that the source video is 1920x1080, right? What resolution was the PS menu created at? DVD is always 720x480, so if you are comparing an HD source menu (and source video) to the resulting DVD, it is never going to match due to far less resolution, HD vs. SD.

There is no reason to export from Premiere as anything other than "MPEG-2 for DVD" when working towards a DVD. Exporting to other codecs is just taking additional time and adding more compression to the workflow. Anything going into Encore that is not 720x480 MPEG-2 for DVD will be transcoded again  In Encore anyway.

Can you provide a screen grab of the AME Export settings, if you had at some point exported to "MPEG-2 for DVD". Not interested in seeing H.264 or QuickTime settings, as they do not apply to the workflow.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to Steve_Knepp

I agree with Jeff. I'll add that the "poor" image in the side by side comparison looks VERY good, considering that it is DVD sized being put onto a 40" and presumably at least 1920x1080 pixel screen. (It is DVD size?)

Export video once at DVD size, and create menus at the correct size so Encore won't mess with them any more than necessary. Use an upscaling player to maximize quality of a DVD on an HD TV.

If you are really looking for nice output on a large monitor or TV, stick with bluray.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:11 PM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

Thanks Jeff, but after 11 hours of producing one 66 minute and one 12 minute MPEG2 DVD files. NOTHING HAS CHANGED! The resulting output in Encore is like, as I said previously, a rolling shutter type of video image.

I'm grateful for your suggestions and I'm not mad at you, I'm very frustrated with this program.

Here are the settings:

FUCKMEPLEASE.jpg

I do not believe the issue is the encoding of the output file. I opened the MPEG2 DVD file in VLC Media Player and although I could see the difference between this and the MP4 or MOV output, it is superior to the image produced by Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:13 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Most of the people I want to see the video do not use the internet and do not have Bluray players, If their equipment is not at least as good as mine the image will be far worse. Thank you, I appreciate the prompt feedback.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 10:39 PM   in reply to Steve_Knepp

Your source is 25fps, suggesting PAL. You are exporting as NTSC, with some of the settings unclear. For example, the output shows only "auto fps." What is your encore project? PAL or NTSC?

Is Encore showing your imports as "do not transcode"?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 4:53 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Sequence settings are 1920x1080 25 frames that is PALHD in widescreen. PAR1.0

Export settings are 720x480 which is NTSC with a PAL framerate and a PAR of 1.0? which should be 1.2

That will defenitly give a bad result.

Dont use Match Source Attrubutes when the output is going to be diffrent then the input.

Use a preset or set everything manually.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to Steve_Knepp

Another thing to consider is that you should be recreating your menus in Photoshop at the correct size, don't leave that scaling to Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I usually start in Encore with a blanc menu (sometimes with a button I like to modify) and bring that into Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Steve,

Let's back up a few steps and reboot here. You have given three different starting resolutions for your material - 1280x768, 1290x768, and 1024x768, apparently the latter being correct, right? You stated that you wanted the video to be a 4:3 aspect ratio, but then you said you exported as 1920x1080, which is of course 16:9 widescreen, AND you are "upconverting" the footage then, which would result in quality loss. Then there is the 25fps (PAL) versus the NTSC export setting.

So let me ask, what country are you located in? What frame rate did you use the original editing sequence in Premiere, and can you post a shot of the Project Settings? This is getting very convoluted.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

There are two threads (topic starters) here which makes it a bit unclear.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points