Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best way to convert company's ID badges from vertical format to horizontal? 6.0.6

Dec 26, 2012 12:19 PM

Tags: #cs4 #script #scripts #automation #object_styles #badge #badges #6.0.6

My boss just told me that I have to convert all of our employee badges from horizontal to vertical. I have been thinking about how I could do this without individually changing each badge one at a time. I need to rotate the employees photo, name, barcode, and company logo. Is there some script that would do this? Do I use object styles?

Below is what I am trying to do. The left badge is what we currently have and the right is more or less what we want it to be. That white box at the top is where the barcode will go.

Picture 2.jpg

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 26, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to pik80

Object styles probably won't work unless the current badges have styles assigned. It could be easily scripted if all the existing badge layouts are consistent

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 26, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to pik80

You have to know either JavaScript or AppleScript to write a script. Are all of the existing badges setup the same? What OS are you using.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 26, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to pik80

Nothing premade would work for this because the arrangement is specific to your needs. If you can .zip a couple of the badges and post them somewhere or email them to my account, I might be able to do an Applescript for you—looks like it should only be a few lines.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 26, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to pik80

How did you populate the template the first time? This might be a candidate for Data Merge....

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 26, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to pik80

You can use AppleScript or JavaScript and pretty much anything you can do with the GUI can be done vai a script. There have to be enough badges to make writing the script worthwhile, but ti looks like all you are doing is repositioning 3 objects and changing the page size. The script could loop through a folder of files.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to pik80

Given the current situation, a script might be the best option, but going forward I think Data merge might make sense, if you are willing to do the up-front work to make it possible. Your barcodes would be handled, I suspect, by linking them as an image, just like the photo, unless there is a way to use your plugin on text already set, in which case you could merge the name twice.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to pik80

Probably wouldn't automate the barcode in that case.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 29, 2012 5:02 AM   in reply to pik80

It might be easiest to send you the files via Google Drive. If you want to give me your email I can send you the badges.

I don't need all of the badges just send two—an original and a repositioned version.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 29, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to pik80

I've made my forum email public.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Dec 29, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to Rob Day

Rob:

I've made my forum email public.

Unfortunately that setting in the forum has been broken for the past year or so .

You can post your email publicly in the thread, or you can put it in your "brief bio" section of the forum profile.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 30, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

zip at zenodesign dot com

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to pik80

If you are using InDesign CS6 try the new Alternate layout feature. Scroll to the title "Alternate layouts" in this link. I hope it help you.

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/alternate-layouts-liquid-layouts .html

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 2, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to Mohamed El-Beltagy

The Scale or Re-center Liquid Layout rules wouldn't work, so I think you would have to set up an Object-based rule for every object in each ID file, which probably isn't much of a time saver. Ideally a project like this should be set up in one document with a masterpage, but I don't think that's the case here.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 15, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to pik80

Here is the script and a sample to test. The script assumes that all of the badges were constructed from a template, or that all of the page items were added to the page in the same order:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PositionScript.zip

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 18, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to pik80

Download the .zip file I posted in #21 and try the script on the test file enclosed. Does it work?

The script  depends on the order of the page items to be the same from one doc to the next so if you were cutting and pasting it won't work. You still haven't sent me a sample of an existing badge, so I was guessing on the order.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 18, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to pik80

Sorry, forgot you were using CS5. Try this, it has an .idml file which you should be able to open in CS5:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PositionScriptIDML.zip

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 18, 2013 4:55 PM   in reply to pik80

.idml will work on CS4

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 18, 2013 6:36 PM   in reply to pik80

Looks like the script isn't completing. Did you try running it from Script Editor?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 20, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to pik80

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of CS4, so I can't check. You could send a few of the original badges, which I haven't seen—I don't need the placed art. It may be there are variations in the originals that a simple script can't deal with.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 21, 2013 6:26 PM   in reply to pik80

I thought the badges were in individual files—the file you sent has them eight-up on a page.

The AppleSript recording does not work with ID.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 22, 2013 4:50 AM   in reply to pik80

Building a script for 8-up probably would take longer than making an 8-up masterpage and replacing the photos and names

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jan 22, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to pik80

If you handle the master correctly you wouldn't need a script.

You have 7 page items per badge and only 3 need to be overridden in order to add content—the barcode, photo, and name. When you override those 3 items just be careful not to change their positions on the page. So in the future you could change the position and bounds of everything from the single master page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to pik80

After a month of playing, you're really back to where you were, and Data Merge still makes sense. I think it would be worth pursuing a different script -- one that could take the number that needs to be keyed into your plugin to make the barcode, make the barcode, and substitute if for the the number. That number could easily be added to the data merge as another field.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points