Skip navigation
SEWERTWO
Currently Being Moderated

Extracting and exporting small segments

Dec 26, 2012 4:17 PM

I have captured and imported all my old videos to mpeg format on my hard drive for easy access  into my project (PE 11).  I have a 30 minute mpeg of which I want to use only 3 short  15 second clips. I can open the 30 minute mpeg as a project, split out one 15 second clip, delete everything else and publish it as a mpeg. It seems there should be an easier way to extract multiple clips than opening multiple projects and getting one at a time.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 26, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to SEWERTWO

SEWERTWO wrote:

I have captured and imported all my old videos to mpeg format on my hard drive for easy access  into my project (PE 11).  I have a 30 minute mpeg of which I want to use only 3 short  15 second clips. I can open the 30 minute mpeg as a project, split out one 15 second clip, delete everything else and publish it as a mpeg. It seems there should be an easier way to extract multiple clips than opening multiple projects and getting one at a time.

Do it out of a single project.  Put the 30 minute mpeg in the timeline.  Set the "Work Area Bar markers" to the beginning and end of one of the 15 second clips.  The markers are grey and in the bar that shows the seconds and frames right above the timeline.  They slide left and right.  When you "share" check the box "Share WorkArea Bar Only"

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to SEWERTWO

Along with Bill's workflow, using the WAB (Work Area Bar) and Exporting/Sharing the desired segments, one could do it all in one piece.

Just start a New Project, matching that MPEG's specs., Import that 30 min. file into it, and drag it to the Timeline. Go through that Timeline, and Cut the Clip, into desired segments, Deleting the unneeded portions of that larger Clip with Delete and Close Gap. When done, just Export/Share that edited Timeline (with those needed segments), as a single file.

When doing that, for use in other Projects, where I will want to "break apart" that single file, into smaller pieces (what you end up with, using Bill's method), I will add a very short Color Matte, say red, between those segments, so that I can find them easily. When used, I just Trim out that red Color Matte, but I use the red Frames to quickly identify where my Cuts came.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to SEWERTWO

In the Project Panel, there is a New Item icon. When clicked upon, it has a drop-down menu, on New Items, that can be created, such as Black Video and Color Mattes (think about "colored video" here). The color can be chosen, and I have used bright red, but one might find say a lime green would stand out better. It sort of depends on the general colors in the surrounding Video Clips.

When one clicks on Color Matte, and chooses the color, a synthetic Video Clip will be created at the Duration set in Edit>Preferences>General>Still Duration (05 sec. is the default, but that can be changed). I just leave it at 05 sec., so that it is long enough in Duration, that I can quickly see it, when scrubbing through the output file. As I will be cutting that out (it is only to indicate to me, the junction between Clips), it could be longer, or shorter - it just acts as a "marker," to help me Cut the segments that I will use.

Do not worry about a red line appearing above the Color Matte (as it is synthetic video, it will show that it needs to be Rendered for smoothest playback), as one does not care about how it looks in playback of the Timeline - it will be nothing but several Frames filled with a bright color, and will, end up "on the cutting room floor," anyway.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points