Skip navigation
Vnrzda
Currently Being Moderated

How to eliminate bad photos

Dec 26, 2012 9:42 PM

How to eliminate bad photos-I come in from shooting with 100 photos. How do I review them quickly to dump the mistakes. Slide Show & Review don't let me easily mark the ones to be eliminated, and contact sheets are too small to evaluate. Other than opening a photo, evaluating it, closing it, choosing another, opening it, evaluating it, etc., is there a better way

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 26, 2012 9:58 PM   in reply to Vnrzda

Hello there,

Photoshop isn't really the best way to be reviewing large batches of photos. Its really best to use Photoshop as just a photo-editing software. I would recommend you using Bridge or Adobe Lightroom for sorting photos. You can review its product capabilities here. Adobe Lightroom allows you to filter through photos and compare them side to side, set rankings, and even make minor photo edits. Lightroom is a product that is ideal for people who shoot large amounts of photos and allow for filtering and then to categorize them.

I hope that helps.

janlle

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to Vnrzda

I would suggest trying out the Filmstrip view:

Screen-Shot-2012-12-29-at-5.23.32-PM.png

This view shows thumbnails of all the photos in your folder, and gives you a big preview of all the photos that you have selected.

This can be useful in selecting one photo from a series of shots:

Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 5.21.18 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to Alec Molloy

Yes, slideshow mode is good, or else enlarge preview panel.

You can also mark "reject" on picutre and it appears in red letters on thumbnail.  You can latter review these and choose do delete or change label.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to Vnrzda

The best I can come up with is Browse in Bridge, select a photo, Space Bar to view full size. Then if I like it, Space Bar again to go back, then select the next photo, repeat.  And if I don't like it, Ctrl+Del to eliminate it, then proceed. A very slow process. Any suggestions?

You are on the right track. There are multiple solutions but here are 2 that I use the most:

1- Create a custom workspace with at least the content panel, folder panel, filter panel and preview panel. Enlarge the preview panel by placing the cursor on the border of the panel until you see a move icon to both sides.

Here is one of my workspaces I use for this purpose:

BridgeWorkspaceCS6.png

But you can create your own including custom background colors etc. For this method be sure to have selected the option to create HQ previews (default setting after install) and let it have a bit time to build all the previews properly.

In this workspace you either select the files you want to view or just select the first. Then use the arrow keys to navigate through them. If like one use the shortcut (for Mac) Cmd + . (dot) to increase the rating with one star. Cmd + , (comma) decreases your rating with one star, when no star it goes to 'reject files'.

After one round you can use the filter panel to select only the one star rating and go on with a second round if needed and even more, up to five stars. (their are other shortcuts to use, see under the menu 'label') but for me this is handy because all the keys are close to each other.

The second option I sometime use is the full screen with space bar. For this you best have also set the preferences to Generate mointor sized previews (Bridge prefs / advanced). This can use more space in your Cache file, depending on screen size (I have a 30" so bigger files but very good views).

You can use the same keys (arrow for back and forward and cmd + . for star rating. After you rated one file in full screen the star rating section keeps visible.

It is a very easy and quick way to select files. But I oonly select upwards and don't bother about rejecting files. Disk space is very cheap and I find it quicker to not bother about rejected files but focus on the good ones, using the filter panel helps focussing better and when finished selecting you can start working on your selected files or first move the non wished files to an archive location. Plenty of options

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Vnrzda

To expand on Curt Y's post (4): Alt-Delete will mark image Reject.  So do as you've described: Browse in Bridge, select a photo, Space Bar to view full screen.  Then Alt-Delete to mark image Reject if you want to eliminate it.  Right arrow to view next image and repeat.  Then after you've reviewed all you can filter by Ratings - Reject (which will display all the ones you marked Reject), select all and send them to the recycle bin. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points