Skip navigation
teos55
Currently Being Moderated

Raw to tiff, then to camera raw

Dec 27, 2012 3:58 AM

Tags: #raw #conversion #tiff

Due to size concerns, I began to convert my orijinal raw files taken by 7D as 5184*3456 pixels to  3000*2000 pixel by Canon Digital Photo Professional 3.12.52.0

to TIFF files . ( gaining almost %50 of the original size)

Then I'll use bridge to open them as raw files in Camera raw for editing ...

Do you think that, there will be some quality issues after then ?

Your replies will be highy apprecitaed.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 27, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to teos55

Is your camera supported by Camera Raw?

What Color Space and bit depth are the tiffs?

Do you think that, there will be some quality issues after then ?

You seem to be throwing away data that might be useful later on – both with regard to dimensions and contrast and color related image content.

Regards,

Pfaffenbichler

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to teos55

If professional printing of the images is an option it’s a bad idea to »mutilate« them early on.

srgb is a small Color Space, so using that may be a bad idea unless you work definitively exclusively for the web.

And personally I consider working in 8bit a problematic decision, at least if color and contrast corrections might be necessary.

Have you tried converting the Raw images to dng?

That might also shrink the size somewhat without doing as much damage.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 1:34 AM   in reply to teos55

For web purposes using srgb is fine and even advisable. (And I guess some labs may also request it depending on their output devices and preferences.)

For use in high quality prints or publications srgb may simply not make use of the available gamut and a larger space might produce better results.

But when using a larger Color Space working in 8bit is more problematic when also having to create images for smaller Color Spaces.

When converting an image of a larger to a smaller Color Space there are several options for handling the »excess colors«; one can determine which one to use under Render Options > Intent in the Convert to Profile-dialog.

But for example when using »Relative Colorimetric« the resulting color values have to be created from but a segment of the originally available ones, and the smaller the original number the more pronounced the deterioration gets – even if it may be unnoticable with many or most images you edit.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to teos55

teos55 wrote:

Due to size concerns

Keep your original raw files.  Though DPP and Photoshop's Camera Raw are very good, the world's best ever raw converter has yet to be invented!

Disk storage is so incredibly cheap for so incredibly much, how could you have size concerns?

I advise rethinking the concept entirely.  Keep your original raw files.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points