Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

3D feature, when importing 3d model, unwelds polys at UV borders

Dec 27, 2012 6:02 AM

Hello,
         When I import any obj or dae file from Maya into Photoshop CS 6 then the program always unwelds the model's edges along the UV boundaries which causes a mess if I import the geometry back into any other 3d program as well as making photoshop unable to paint over seams accurately which is supposed to be one of the key advantages to using photoshop extended in the first place. Can someone please explain to me how I can stop photoshop from doing this?

Here are the images detailing the problem where I used one of the simplest possible models and uvs to make sure it wasn't a problem on my end.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/97993483.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/85471742.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/61658057.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/76040241.png/

Here's the simple sphere that I used for the test.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104089847/problemsphere.obj

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 27, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to Georgerocious

It should be noted that Photoshop neglects to put paint into a padding border around each UV island in a texture. Lack of padding can result in seams becoming apparent when a textured model is rendered, even when the model's mesh is seamless.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to Georgerocious

It's a holiday - we're off until after the first of the year.

So it'll be a few days until someone from the 3D team can respond.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to Georgerocious

Photoshop does not, and can not do that. We do not split geometry that comes in whole.

If the geometry/mesh comes in split then use you can transform pieces. But we are not a modeler like 3D Max, and three of the four look like screen shots of 3D Max. The exception being image 61658057.png which is Photoshop.

If you don't want your mesh to split apart then dont export it as pieces, which is what you show in that 3D editor, 76040241.png for example.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to Daniel Presedo

Daniel Presedo wrote:

Photoshop does not, and can not do that. We do not split geometry that comes in whole.

If the geometry/mesh comes in split then use you can transform pieces. But we are not a modeler like 3D Max, and three of the four look like screen shots of 3D Max. The exception being image 61658057.png which is Photoshop.

If you don't want your mesh to split apart then dont export it as pieces, which is what you show in that 3D editor, 76040241.png for example.

The mesh was whole before import into Photoshop!!!

Is anybody testing the software? If yes, then you'd surely know that polygons within a previously seamless mesh are being unwelded from each other, along UV island boundaries, on import to Photoshop. The mesh isn't broken into separately named objects in Photoshop, but its structure is changed and unwanted seams appear in the mesh and prevent correct texturing. Splitting along UV boundaries when importing can be found in some other apps, but these apps give the user the option to do that or not!

What hope of a fix is there when you don't even understand Georgerocious's abundantly clear screenshots? He shows an exploded mesh that was a seamless mesh before import to Photoshop. He imported the pristine seamless mesh into Photoshop, exported the wrecked mesh from Photoshop then imported the wreck into Maya or Max or similar for examination and to produce the exploded image.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 10:09 PM   in reply to conroy

I understand what you are saying but the forums are lighting up for misinterpreting the issue described here.

If that is happening >>being unwelded along UV island boundaries<< we will investigate. I checked out the sphere posted on this and other threads and it does not look that way (eg broken up) in some of the 3D apps (eg Cinema 4D) I have looked at, so that could mean any number of things are going on.

I would like to know what apps, aside from Maya are seeing this. I'll check 3D Max tomorrow and make my own examples and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:29 AM   in reply to Daniel Presedo

Daniel, what the heck is going on? Your absolutely wrong response (reply #6), where you deny Photoshop has a problem that it does have, is marked correct!  That's also happened when other Adobe staff have posted denials of definite problems in Ps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to Daniel Presedo

In the following screenshots of various apps, the sphere on the left is the original UV'd mesh provided by Georgerocious, and on the right is the sphere after going through Photoshop where it is unwelded at UV boundaries on import. I stopped at three apps although I have others which undoubtedly will show the same damage.

Hexagon

Hexagon.png

Wings 3D

Wings.png

Cinema 4D, with HyperNURBS on the spheres

Cinema.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 7:13 PM   in reply to conroy

Georgerocious, I apologize for the delay. We have identified the issue and will fix it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points