Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How does the Anti-Flicker Filter work?

Dec 27, 2012 5:07 AM

Some frames of the background in my video have variable luminosity; some are darker or brighter than the average.

I used in APE10 the Anti-Flicker Filter but not effect.

How can I correct the background luminosity for all frames to an average?

Peter

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 27, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to Guggi0

Flicker removal blends frames to limit the effects of interlacing.

I'm not sure how to fix a video with quality issues as you describe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 5:28 AM   in reply to Guggi0

It depends. Is the subject matter of your clip relatively stable, like someone standing in one place, or is there a lot of movement and changing scenery and lighting conditions?

Describe your clip -- or, better yet, post a sample of it. The Shadow/Highlight may not be the best solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to Guggi0

Can you post a sample of it to YouTube or Vimeo and then post a link to it here on this forum so we can see it?

Shadow/Highlight is ideal for things like brightening a foreground subject when a bright background makes your subject look too dark. Is this what you're trying to correct? Can you post an example of it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to Guggi0

Peter,

I agree with Steve that seeing the footage (I would post a short piece, both with and without the Shadow & Highlight Effect), will be helpful.

With the Auto Effects, if there are changes in the lighting, within the Clip, one CAN get what I would term a "strobing" where the Effect attempts to apply the correction, but then when something changes in the Clip, it can "seek" a bit, to try and change the correction. Though it looks different, it is sort of like early aperture control on lenses, where the auto aperture would "seek" to correct the exposure, and at a change, would cause strobing. Same thing for auto focus, when the subject to sensor distance changes - the auto focus seeks to regain focus, and the initial changes go into and out of focus, until the sensors can finally lock in on the focus.

With Auto Effects, it is often better to Cut the Clip, where changes in lighting, or exposure occur, and let the Auto Effect work on just that portion of the Clip. The Auto Effects work best when there are not changes in the lighting, or exposure, and everything (except for subject motion) stays the same.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to Guggi0

I'm not really seeing a reason to use this effect wth this sequence. Sorry.

What is it you're trying to fix with Shadow/Highlight?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points