Exit

Missing menu commands in FM11

Mentor ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

FM11, structured, original release (not patched), Win XP

I have begin to notice a number of commands that have disappeared from FM menus with version 11, including:

Format > Font

Format > Paragraph

Format > Style

Format > Characters

Format > Paragraphs

Table > Custom Ruling And Shading

I first noticed this when I needed to undo some wacky ruling and shading that came in with a table pasted from MS Word. I could get the ruling and shading pod using the keyboard shortcut (Esc t x) but just cannot get it to appear in the Table menu. I am in the WYSIWYG view and it doesn't matter whether a structured or unstructured document is active.

Does anyone know what I'm overlooking here? Did somebody decide that I don't need these functionalities because I have the product interface set to structured?

Thanks,

Russ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Hi Russ,

There's new functionality in FM 11 that allows you to customize menus and call up custom menus via the Workspaces.

I wrote it up in the FM 11 Reviewer's Guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try patching your version first & see if that has any impact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this affects those particular menu items, but check

View> Menus to see if you have Complete or Quick set. Quick menus are a

subset of Complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Russ,

It's not the structured mode. Here's what I get in FM11:

FM11_format_menu.png

Are you using any plug-in that modifies the menus? The menu customizations have changed for FM11 (see Klaus Daube's info at: http://daube.ch/docu/files/etb-customising-fm.pdf )

Also, the Table > Custom Ruling And Shading option has been moved to a sub-menu since FM10.

FM11_table_format_rows.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all who responded. Mike's comment has gotten me a little closer to a solution... I was sure that I didn't have quick menus active, but went ahead and checked anyway. While there, I noticed a command I've never used... View > Menus > Modify. When I select that, it pops up a file browser that defaults to a 'menus' folder where there are some menu config files. The file that is pre-populated is:

menus_structured_authoring.cfg

When I select 'menus.cfg' instead, all the commands return. If I go back to the original, those commands all disappear.

So, I guess now I'd like to know how to activate 'menus.cfg' on startup, rather than the other one. It does seem that all my commands are there until I open the first document, then I get the different (undesired) menus.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... 'menus' folder ...

If nothing more elegant gets posted, you could always rename the .cfg folders and/or files ,

(after making backup copies, of course)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick search didn't find menus_structured_authoring.cfg on my

computer. Someone may have created a custom set of menu items on your

computer. (This is sometimes done intentionally to keep users from

accessing certain commands.) Check the following setting in maker.ini to

see if it has been altered:

ConfigMenuFile=fminit\maker\menus.cfg

Note: there are two maker.ini files. One is in the FrameMaker program

folder. The other is somewhere in the users area. (I forget the exact

location.) The setting in the user area takes precedence over the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russ,

There's new functionality in FM 11 that allows you to customize menus and call up custom menus via the Workspaces.

I wrote it up in the FM 11 Reviewer's Guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, I got it. Thanks again to all who offered help. For future reference, here is what is up:

My menu configuration files are located at (on my PC):

C:\Documents and Settings\rward\Application Data\Adobe\FrameMaker\11\WorkSpaces\Structured\menus

...and as Matt's post implies, each workspace references a specific configuration file in its respective CFWS file, on my PC at:

C:\Documents and Settings\rward\Application Data\Adobe\FrameMaker\11\WorkSpaces

In a CFWS file, there is an element near the begining that controls the default menu file. I can change it there and get the menu I want:

<data type="all" menuFile="menus_structured_authoring.cfg" toolbarFile="fmtoolbar.xml"/>

When I am using my own custom workspace, I can pick a new file with View > Menus > Modify and FM will remember the setting (that is, edit the CFWS file automatically). However, for the "built-in" XML/Structured workspace, changes are not saved. It takes a manual tweak of the CFWS file.

Happy New Year!

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines