Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Sorting out the backups?

Dec 27, 2012 6:45 PM

Tags: #duplicates #back-up

Over the past few years I have had every PC problem imaginable, HDD failures, Motherboard failure etc.  I already did have several HDD's & as as result every time I had an crash I made another B/U, sometimes even more than on the same HDD & even Folders within Folders.  I was stupid because I now have a colossal mess.

I know that my current catalog has hundreds of duplications as well as some pictures in more than one HDD location & even different tags on the duplicates.  I have no idea as to how to sort out the current catalog so I decided that I perhaps should start with deleting some of the OLD B/P's. 

To that end it would help to know just how many as well what kind of files the PSE backups create.  Is Breeze data,Waldo etc all part of PSE?

Does PSE have anything to do with permissions?  The reason that I ask is that I can sometimes just hover my mouse over a B/U folder & windows says that the file is empty.  Then I click on this empty file & can see thousands of photo's all of which appear to be greyed out but if I then click on these pictures they open up & I can see them OK as well as all of the EXIF data. Is this a PSE or Windows problem?

Can I use Windows properties data to determine just when each B/U was created?

There are also 3rd party programs that are supposed to be good at finding duplicates but do any of them work with PSE?

Thanks in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 28, 2012 5:00 AM   in reply to The Old Fart

Rather than beat your head agains the wall I would do a new backup now via PSE, I name my backups "Full 12272012" so I know when I did them. If I have an incremental(I don't do incremental normally) I name it "Incr 12272012". After you do this delete all your other backups. You may want to do it twice for safety, naming one -1 and the other -2.. After that you can begin the next phase of sorting out the pictures. I also use an EHD for my backups and keep my catalog and pictures on a different EHD.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to The Old Fart

If you write your tags to file(I think in 11 it has changed to metadata, it is under file) all your tags will be placed within each photo, this way you don't lose your organization. At this point you have a few solutions, all a lot of work.

You can have PSE look for duplicates and start churning through the results. I haven't been impressed by this approach, not very robust.

If you find an outside pgm just have it churn through your pictures. I have never used these but if there is a good one I would like to know.

Since you have written your tags to file you can reload all your pictures into a new catalog. I think you will lose your Albums, stacks and version sets, but that may be a small price to pay to get yourself out of the duplicate problem. This approach gives you the most control and I feel is not as overwhelming if you just do a folder at a time.

Good luck in this project.

I would suggest you do a backup frrequently, minimally once a week.

Maybe someone will come up with a better solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to The Old Fart

I don't know much about the interals of the catalog so I can't hep you there. My understanding was that the catalog had a pointer to your actual picture, did not do any renaming. If you are looking at the backups that is Elements own convention, nothing to do with your actual pictures, I would just not worry about the backups and its conventions. If you use a 3rd party to delete the duplicates(or whatever, move them to a new location) they will show up in the catalog as unconnected, then you can delete all the unconnected from the catalog.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points