Skip navigation
NorfolkVideo
Currently Being Moderated

AE CS6 not recognising graphics card with CUDA

Dec 28, 2012 9:24 AM

Having invested in Production Premium CS6 this year, I wanted to make the best of it, and upgraded both motherboard and graphics card to take advantage of the promised CUDA processing. Having done so, AE (Edit > Preferences > Preview) has consistently refused to recognise the card, and I am looking for advice on what I can try next.

For information, my PC system involves Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, an Asus P8Z68-V/PRO/GEN3 MoBo, 16GB RAM, and the new graphics card, a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (2GB DDR5). I have installed the latest Nvidia driver, 310.70, and the CUDA Toolkit v 5.0. It is possible to run the samples supplied with the CUDA Toolkit, and an application called CUDA-Z functions, both of which seem to suggest to a non-programmer like myself that the 1,344 CUDA processors on the card are working just fine.

It was suggested on another forum that I edit the file raytracer_supported_cards.txt which is in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files to include the GTX 660. Other people have found this to work - i.e. that after doing so and resaving the file, AE recognises their card and its CUDA capability. I haven't.

I've run out of ideas. Does anyone please have either an explanation for the AE response, or a fix?

Peter

Norfolk, UK

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 28, 2012 3:17 AM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

Your card is not listed anywhere - not in the product tech specs, nor in the update info post for the 11.0.2. update. It really is as simple as that - what's not listed, is not supported. If you can't get it to work on your own, then there probably is no way to get it working at all. The text file is a hack, after all, and the actual code will do its own probing and simply not work if operations are not deemed to be safe within specified parameters. Does it suck? Sure. No argument from me here. It's just a shining example how fundamentally wrong Adobe got CS6. Can you still get your work done without the card? Sure. That 3D raytrace stuff is not worth making any fuss about, anyway. Maker your life easy and just get Element 3D or AtomKraft and forget the whole thing ever happened. Elemet 3D will burn on your card and you can get a lot doen with its "simple" OpenGL renderer....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

As Mylenium said, there are other, better ways to do 3d in After Effects (which is really the only thing CUDA-type cards benefit. Out of curiousity, if you were looking to use a new card with AE, why would you upgrade to a card that AE didn't list as compatible?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

Peter, are you sure you entered the exact name of the card into the text file?  Check the card name using GPUsniffer.exe (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files).  I noticed in your post that you put "GTX 660" into the file.  Perhaps you just short-handed it here in the forum but it should be something like "GeForce GTX 660 Ti" or whatever GPUsniffer says in the "Name:..." row.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

Each card requires extensive individual testing.

If there is a card that you want us to add to the list of those that After Effects will use for the GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer, submit a feature request here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

As others have said, the only feature that this matters for is GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer. Every other feature of After Effects should work just fine with the card that you have. See this page for details:

http://bit.ly/UHGwMC

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

approved cards show up on in an embedded file that you can manually edit. Do a Google search and you should find instructions. It was a simple matter for me to add an unlisted but compatible card to my Mac. Folks do it on windows also.

It will take a while for Adobe to update the software to include newer supported cards. They won't put in on a list until it's been tested.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

BTW, make sure that you've installed all of the recent updates, since we have added several new cards in the recent updates, as well as dozens of bug fixes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

Hi Peter,

Go to http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/AfterEffects.htm  read the article and following the directions.  You card will work once you do what the article says to do.

I have the same video card as you do, the GTX 660 Ti and it works fine for me.  I am using the GPU with the ray trace 3D render engine with no problems.

Also, make sure you have the latest After Effects update installed.  It should be 11.0.2.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

Hi Peter,

Try uninstalling the CUDA toolkit and try installing the 301.90 NVidia driver.  It was just release.

If that does fix it, go back to the article link I sent you, once you are on the site, click on Contact at the top of the page and call me directly.  I will help you get it working.  I am in the office from 10am till 5pm Eastern Time.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hey Todd,

I tried sending this to you but your mailbox is full.

Ive looked at several of your articles and hope you can help me.

I have had the Quadro 4000 for several months, using CS5.5 on a Mac Pro, with 10.7.5 and has worked with Mercury Playback.

I did an update - always keep up to date - and now it doesnt work.

I have tried to go back to 5.0.17, 5.0.36, 5.0.24, 4.2.10, etc with 295.000 5f03, 02

Nothting works. Ive talked to Nvida, Mac and Adobe, no one seems to be able to help.

From your comments with others I see you have a connnection with Nvidea - can you please list a link to help me with this.

Im running 10.7.5 OS on a mac pro, CS 5.5

Thank you for your help.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to Dave Knarr

Hi Dave, Peter and Todd

Did you ever get the GTX 660 Ti card to work for AE6?

I just bought the card for use with Davinci Resolve [as recommended here:
    http://nrsotw.blogspot.com/2012/09/gtx-660ti-in-mac-pro-and-davinci.ht ml ]

but after modifying raytracer_supported_cards.txt

to say:

GeForce GTX 285

GeForce GTX 660 TI

GeForce GTX 660

GeForce GTX 660 ti

GeForce 8800 GT

GeForce GT 650M

Quadro CX

Quadro FX 4800

Quadro 4000

I still don't have any GPU cards showing up inside ae, nor the GPU sniffer:

Texture memory: 512

Vendor string:    NVIDIA Corporation

Renderer string:  NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT OpenGL Engine

Version string:   2.1 NVIDIA-8.1.0

OpenGL Version:   2.1

Has NPOT support: TRUE

Has Framebuffer Object Extension support: TRUE

Has Shading Language support: TRUE

Started compilation of GLSL shaders

Successfully finished compilation of GLSL shaders

Ignoring SM4.0 check for cards on mac

Return code: 3

Not exactly what I'm looking for.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

Hi Todd,

I am on a Windows 7 system and I am using the GTX 660 Ti, this model  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127696

with no problems.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 2:35 PM   in reply to Dave Knarr

Hi Dave - Using it on a Mac.

The PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 660 Ti model.

Dave Knarr wrote:

Hi Todd,

I am on a Windows 7 system and I am using the GTX 660 Ti, this model  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127696

with no problems.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 4:08 AM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

Hi Peter

I have just installed After Effects and have a similar problem on my ASUS GTX 660 Ti TOP graphics card, v314.07 driver.

I have edited the supported cards text files for Premiere Pro and After Effects. However, when I launch After Effects, I get this message:

After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Initial shader compile failed (5070 :: 0)

scrrenshot-2-shader-compile-fails.jpg

Does anyone know what this means?

The weird thing is that when I go to preferences, it looks as if After Effects has selected the GPU for processing anyway:

screenshot-3-ae-preferences-screen.gif

Sometime today I will attempt ray tracing with the GPU enabled and then disabled. If the card is working ok, it should be much faster with GPU enabled than without and my only problem will hopefully be an annoying message popping up when I start After Effects.

Finally, I agree that GPUSniffer in Premiere Pro and After Effects are not returning the same results:

gpusniffer-screenshot.gif

It may be worth updating your drivers and trying again.

Good luck,

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 6:25 AM   in reply to CSNewbie19

Well, I just tried to use the 3D Ray tracing feature and it used the CPU not the GPU.

This is annoying.

I hope Nvidia and Adobe can bang their heads together soon to come up with a driver that can leverage the potential of the GTX 600 series.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

Hey this may sound crazy but it worked for me after trying for three months with CS5.5 and my CUDA Quadra 4000

I installed Jave SE 6 Runtime.

Don't ask me how or why but it worked

I had talked with Mac, PNY, Adobe for weeks.

Hope it helps

I was using my 4000 with CS5.5 with 5K and 4K files and just stopped one day

I believe it was a problem when I did an update but could not figure it out.

Also went back to older settings and did not work

Good luck

John

John Reed

john@reedpi.com

www.reedpi.com

435-881-1010

Have Panasonic HD Cameras, and RED EPIC, Cam Mate Jib and Steadicam - HAVE CAMERA WILL TRAVEL!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to reedpi

It works!!!!!

I downloaded Java SE 7 JDK from here and installed it.

I restarted the computer and launched After Effects and got very excited because I did not get the dreaded compile error ..... and then very disappointed because GPU 3D processing was still not working .....

..... until I remembered that I deleted "GeForce GTX 660 Ti" from the supported cards text file last night to get rid of that annoying start up message, continuously reminding me that I had bought the "wrong" video card.

So I ran Notepad as an administrator, edited the file. Saved it, restarted and ....

Bingo! It works!!!!! I am one very happy 660 Ti owner.

Thank you very much, John.

Try it Peter, I hope it works for you and any others out there with CUDA cards that aren't being recognized.

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 3:18 PM   in reply to CSNewbie19

I am so glad I helped someone else out!

It seems crazy and makes no sense but am glad it works.

I spent hours HOURS trying to figure it out.

Pass it on!

John

John Reed

john@reedpi.com

www.reedpi.com

435-881-1010

Have Panasonic HD Cameras, and RED EPIC, Cam Mate Jib and Steadicam - HAVE CAMERA WILL TRAVEL!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

I've had the same problem-- Premiere Pro and After Effects not recognizing my new GPU.

The problem is in the file PP looks for is cuda_supported_cards.txt

And AE looks in raytracer_supported_cards.txt

If your GPU isn't listed, then the programs assume you don't have the right CUDA enabled card. The problem is that Adobe has a hard time keeping current with the CUDA cards as they are produced. For example, I had a geForce GTX 670 card, which was not listed in those files, but the geForce 570 card was. Clearly, the 670 was just an improvement over the 570, but Adobe hadn't had a chance to update those txt files.

It has nothing to do with Java or anything else. It's just the txt file that contains the names of the GPUs.

Also, for AE, it isn't just 3D modeling or ray trace that gets affected. It's also speeds up hardware accelerated panels and the Cartoon Effect. Plus, I've got 4 GB on the Nvidia card and the CUDA cores going to waste if I don't maximize my use of the GPU I paid extra money for.

In my case, I'm using a souped up laptop with a geForce gtx 675mx chip. And I saw a noticeable increase in render speed once I modified the two txt files.

Yes, it would be nice if Adobe were faster in updating the cards in their txt files, but in the meantime, if you have a card that is clearly an update of an older card (like going from the 570 to the 670), then I think it is a pretty safe bet.

The only other thing to remember is that if you update PP or AE, via the Creative Cloud, or otherwise, your carefully prepared txt files are likely going to get overwritten, and you'll have to re-edit them to include your card.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to TheDano99

> Also, for AE, it isn't just 3D modeling or ray trace that gets affected. It's also speeds up hardware accelerated panels and the Cartoon Effect.

That is misleading.

The Cartoon effect and the hardwre acceleration of viewers have nothing to do with CUDA and have nothing to do with the text file that you refer to. Those features use OpenGL and work on any video card that meets certain minimum requirements without any tampering with any text files.

Details are here:

http://adobe.ly/AE_CUDA_OpenGL_GPU

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

If it's misleading, then it's AE's fault

If you go to  File menu: Edit / Preferences / Previews. Click GPU Information drop down menu,

Mine says: "Fast Draft Available. Texture Memory: 3948 MB. This setting also affects hardware-accelerated panels and the Cartoon effect."

Switching between GPU and CPU for Ray-tracing also turns on and off the CUDA section on Current and Maximum Usable Memory 

I didn't make this up-- I copied it from the AE dialog box. Perhaps the presentation of information isn't clear enough?

I read the article referred to above-- very informative. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to NorfolkVideo

Today, we released the After Effects CC (12.1) update, which adds many GPUs to the list of cards that After Effects will use for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer.

See this page for details:

http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_12dot1_details

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points