Skip navigation
FFWKin
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 "installing Shared Technologies" error during install

Dec 28, 2012 3:06 PM

Tags: #error #premiere #elements #11 #installation #shared #technologies

How do I fix the "The installation process has encountered an error whil installing Shared Technologies.  Please restart your system and try again." error while installing Premiere Elements 11?  Photoshop Elements 11 installed fine, but I keep receiving this error while trying to install Premier Elements 11.

I have already tried:

Install from CD

Install from C: drive root

Install from Adobe website trial version

Install from CD, after clean boot

In each case it installs at the same place with the same error.

From searching these forums and doing a web search it seems like a common problem with no clear solution.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 28, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to FFWKin

FFWKin please review your installation logs to determine the exact error which is causing you problems.  You can find details on how to review and interpret your installation logs at Troubleshoot install using logs | Elements - http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-install-usin g-logs-elements.html.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I am having this same issue.  There is nothing apparent in the log.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to TPE71

TPE71 did you try the solutions offered by the ASA tool and the solution offered by Baljeet? 

It might also be best that you post to a different thread unless FFWKin responds back with identical error messages to what you see within your log file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Yes, the ASA shows no errors.

The log file shows no fatal errors, errors, or warnings

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to FFWKin

FFWKin if you can choose the package for support option within the Adobe Support Advisor and respond to this thread myself or another Adobe employee can review your installation logs for you using the process listed in message #3.

TPE71 you may want to start a new thread as the ASA tool is indicating you did not have any errors as opposed to what was detected by the Adobe Support Advisor when FFWKin ran the tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

If i am not mistaken FFWKin does not have any errors as well

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 5:45 PM   in reply to FFWKin

Thank u very much for sharing!!  I just did the same and it worked.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 6:03 PM   in reply to FFWKin

Yes all is working for me.  However, I may have followed a different sequence.  When I started killing the processes in task manager I also terminated the windows install task of the installer. So,  I launched it again and it started the removal of the install that I terminated.  When that completed, I started the install again and it completed with no errors.  Now both applications start up fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to FFWKin

Oops one more difference here.  I had uninstalled Elements thinking that the install sequence may matter.  So I re-installed Elements after the successful install of Premiere Elements.  Maybe it makes a difference?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to FFWKin

FFWKin I am glad to hear that you were able to install the software successfully.  I did see a couple errors within your installation log you may be want to be aware of.

Beginning installation for payload at F:\Adobe Photoshop Elements 11\ElementsSTIInstaller\payloads\PSE11STIInstaller\Install.db

Evaluating condition# 1(Seq 1)

Condition failed(Seq 1)

I saw several entries for this which could indicate a possible problem with either the installation media or the optical drive.  Please keep this in mind if you find you have future failures installing from physical media.

In addition there was also some permission errors reported which may affect the lens profiles available for Camera RAW.  An example is as follows:

ERROR: DF037: Unable to delete directory "C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Tokina". Error 145 The directory is not empty.(Seq 35)

ERROR: DF037: Unable to delete directory "C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Tamron\Sony". Error 145 The directory is not empty.(Seq 52)

You may want to consider adjusting the permissions for C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\ and applying the permissions change to all child objects.  You can find details on how to adjust permissions at Error "Exit 6" or "Exit 7" | Install log | Read, write, system file errors | CS5, CS5.5 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-exit-6-exit-7.html.

As for your activation count there is a unique machine ID assigned to your computer based off the hardware installed.  Unless you made hardware changes to your computer the activation would be the same each time the application activated.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Thanks TPE71 and FFWKin.

I think there are probably big numbers of us with the same problem and wasted hours trying the useless "solutions".

Will give your efforts a go with my Elements disaster - fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your posts.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 8:47 PM   in reply to FFWKin

To comment: Killing the installer and the "error -press OK- popup" seems to leave the Premiere application installed -

but this is a un-elegant solution and makes me less willing to part with my 830 NKR for the otherwise great december deal on these two programs.

I subscribe to Creative Cloud, but for the couple PCs I have that are running XP and need some software for the occasional image / video edit the Elements duo is good.. Except for this install kludge :-D ....
    (I suppose two installs are possible on this software as well with the usual not simultaneous use limit ?)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to FFWKin

FFWKin

Are you able to access the Elements Organizer from your Premiere Elements 11 workspace?

Further thoughts...

Thank you for your input on this matter. My situation is that I am trying to install Premiere Elements 10 (disc 2 of 5) on Windows 8 64 bit laptop and cannot get beyond the Shared Technology error (Feature: Data 7). At that point, it appears that a lot of the program is installed...even have a desktop icon.  But the roll back was wiping that out. I have tried "every" trick in the book. What worked to maintain what was installed was your Chat person's use of the Task Manager.

Inspecting what is installed with this workaround, it would appear that it is the Elements Organizer that is missing since when I click on that Organizer option in the Premiere Elements 10 workspace, the Elements Organizer does not open. And, the use of Get Media from: Elements Organizer does not open the Elements Organizer.

I wonder about TPE71's status report that everything is now working. Is the Organizer working or just Premiere Elements workspace and the features accessed from the Elements Organizer workspace? I tried TPE71's details and still could not get anything more than just Premiere Elements workspace.

The interesting part of all this is that the other day I installed Premiere Elements 11 on this same Windows 8 computer without issue, and it is still working both Premiere Elements 11 and Elements Organizer 11 interfaces.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to FFWKin

Yes I am able to use the organizer and the editor with no problems.  As I mentioned before my sequence was a little different.  After I killed the install processes, I then restarted the install which prompted for a removal of the terminated install.  When this was completed I started the install again and it completed with no error.  You may want to try this method as opposed to ending with the error and the terminated install.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 8:14 PM   in reply to TPE71

TPE71

Thanks for the additional information.

I am still stuck with Premiere Elements 10 Premiere Elements workspace and no Elements Organizer. Photoshop Elements 10 install also runs into this roll back due to error, but that is a side issue right now for me since Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8 64 bit is my focus.

I tried what I think you suggested, but had no success getting any further with that. Maybe let me recite my steps...

a. Installation disc (also tried doing this from SetUp file in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Folder saved to Documents)

b. Firewall and AntiVirus OFF.

c. If I go the installation disc route, insert disc in DVD drive, and it does it thing until Data 7 when it rolls back with the Shared Technology message. That is when I used the Task Manager route to to prevent the roll back and salvage the Premiere Elements workspace.

At this point, you say that you restart the install which prompts for a removal of the terminated install. How are you restarting the install? Are you saying, disc still in DVD drive, it now installs automatically after it removes the terminated install. But this time it does not get hung up on Shared Technologies or more specifically Data 7. Anyone have any idea what that Data 7 and other Data files are supposed to be doing?

As I suggested earlier the dynamics of what is going on with Premiere Elements 10 installation on Windows 8 is strange since I can install Premiere Elements 11 in this same computer environment without issue. I even threw in some compatibity mode changes in one troubleshooting drill. No luck.

I would appreciate any comments about anything that I may be overlooking in the way you achieved success.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to FFWKin

FFWKin

Thanks for your follow up.

It is a fine line that we walk in troubleshooting as we strive to correct programs and not end up needing to resolve unexpected and unwanted side effects.

From the history of this Shared Technology error message, the problem would seem not specific for an operating system nor Elements version. Although the dating on this error goes back in time, this is my first encounter with it.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 5:12 PM   in reply to FFWKin

FFWKin

That was great news. Congratulations for giving that another try and succeeding to get your full installs for Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8.

Still no success here with Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8. Interestingly, I had no problems getting Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 to install on my Windows 8 64 bit the first time around with no Shared Technology error or others.

I have tried twice what you and TPE71 have had success with. Just will not get beyond Data 7.

I will be watching for any further developments and/or definitions of the problem.

Thanks for that follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to FFWKin

I had all the same problems and read all of the replies with interest. So after my first attempt did its automatic rollback I manually ran the setup.exe by right clicking on the file and specifying to run as administrator. It ran through to completion. I am running Windows 7

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to MOC52

MOC52

Thanks for posting your results. I thought that I had tried what worked for you, but I decided to give it one more try, following your route to success.

Result: same no go at Data7.

What Premiere Elements version are you working with here, Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8? I suspect that I am the only one in this thread who is trying to get Premiere Elements 10 installed on Windows 8.

Thanks again.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 4:11 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I'm running Windows 7 and I'm going from  Premiere Elements 10  to Premiere Elements 11. I plan to to wo Windows 8 soon but am not quite ready to upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to FFWKin

Well, I read all the responses to this Dec. 12 thread and was aghast that I seemed to have to know a lot more about computers (windows particularly) than I thought necessary to install some consumer s/w! Got the same Shared Technologies error msg. installing Elements Organizer - tried a couple things but what finally worked was to take Adobe's suggestion and copy all the CD files to C:\PSE7Installer folder that I created just before the copy. Long story shortened - it worked and I am now converting my PSE 9 database to 11. Running Windows 7 on a couple year old Dell XPS laptop. More later if this does not work but I am past the Shared Tech err msg at least. ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 8:04 PM   in reply to FFWKin

Well, i have the error too. Nothing seems to work. Great product Adobe, i need a programming degree to make it make it work looks like...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to FFWKin

Right on brother ... I'm having the same exact same problem ... brand new Windows 8 Pro PC ... this is stupid

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to Alansee

I formatted hard dive and reinstalled. Works perfect.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to FFWKin

This also worked for me. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to FFWKin

FFWLKin

I do not know if what I am about to report will help or confuse the Premiere Elements users further on this Shared Technology error encountered during Premiere Elements installation, but here is hoping that something in the following experience might be of help to someone....

I entered your thread with the Shared Technology error (targeting Elements Organizer/Data 7) when trying to install Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10 on a new Windows 8 64 bit computer. Unlike the others I had no problems installing Premiere Elements 11 and Photoshop Elements 11 from the Adobe installation disc a week earlier on this brand new Windows 8 64 bit computer. Short of re-formatting the hard drive, I did everything plus with no luck in getting versions 10 installed on this Windows 8 64 bit computer. So, I decided to focus on working with the already installed version 11 programs.

I headed for Premiere Elements 11 to create a DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc and to my horror found that the program's burn dialog had no burner(s) in the burner location (either the build in one or an external burner (USB). But, Premiere Elements 11 burn to folder did work. On the other hand, I found that Photoshop Elements 11 Organizer File Menu feature to burn (datadisc) to CD or DVD did recognize these burners and that burn to feature worked. I went through the typical drill for those in this type of situation and nothing remedied the problem. So, I decided to go for the deactivate/uninstall/reinstall route. Well,  now Premiere Elements 11 reinstallation ran into the same fate as Premiere Elements 10, that is, it ran into the Shared Technologies error related to installation of the Elements Organizer and Premiere Elements 11 would not install after going through everything decribed in this thread, excluding re-formatting the hard drive.

1. Deactivated/uninstalled Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11.

2. Apply the cclearer: cleaner and registry cleaner. And, then went into the Registry and deleted all related to Photoshop Elements 10/Premiere Elements 10 as well as Photoshop Elements 11/Premiere Elements 11.

3. Disabled firewall, antivirus, spyware...

4. Tried to reinstall Premiere Elements 11, using the installation files (setup.exe in 64 bit folder) copied to hard drive. No go. Same Shared Technology error.

5. Started deleting programs that I had installed after the initial successful installs of Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 (these programs included iTunes, VLC player, and ImgBurn). Still no go for the Premiee Elements 11 install, and same Shared Technologies error.

FINALLY, Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 got successfully installed on this Windows 8 64 bit computer according to the following scenario (iTunes, VLC player, and ImgBurn still removed from system...firewall, antivirus, spyware protection re-enabled)

1. Attached a USB burner to computer via one of its USB 3.0 ports.

2. Inserted the Adobe installation disc into the burner tray of this burner in order to install the program(s) via the installation disc.

3. Selected install for Photoshop Elements 11. It went to completion without problem.

4. Selected install for Premiere Elements 11. It went to completion without problem. And, now the burn dialog/burner location did recognize the computer's built in burner and my USB external burner.

None of the above may have had anything to do with what finally triggerd the version 11 installation processes to go to completion. But, I add this to the mix of how Photoshop Elements 11/Premiere Elements 11 finally got installed in Windows 8 for the user.

And, I would offer this suggestion to those who have already installed Premiere Elements 11 on their Windows 8 64 bit. As soon as possible make sure you have burners listed in the burner location of the program's burn dialog.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to FFWKin

I have the same installation problem with both Photoshop and Premier Elements 11.  Tried rebooting 3 times but no success.  Downloaded and tried the ASA.  It indicated everything was fine. Went to look for the installation files, couldn't even find the sub-directory.  I appreciate all the technical input from my fellow users and from Adobe staff.  However, I don't have the time, or the computer skill or the desire  to work this through.   And I'm certainly not going to pay for help to install malfunctioning software. 

I'll try the chat line tomorrow.  If all works out then great.  If not Photoshop and Premier Elements go back to Future Shop ASAP.

Judgeing from the number of submissions above, Adobe has a MAJOR problem with this software's installation and, from my perspective, it is responsible for making it right. 

But I don't want to just complain, I would also like to recommend remedial action.  One way is to replace, at no additional cost, the existing software with something that works.  Another way is to provide direct telephone support at no cost.

Your attention to this matter is appreciated.

Message was edited by: superjetting Update: Was on the chat line for about 4 hours.  Fellow worked hard to get Photoshop 11 up and running but not Premier Elements.  For me one no good without the other.  Guess I'm back to Future Shop today.  Adobe's reputation has taken an extreme hit in my estimation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 5:17 AM   in reply to FFWKin

Like all of the above I have tried many ways of installing this and to no avail, its now at the point of me returning the item and looking at other software.

I am disgusted that to enable the installion of this item you have to spend hours messing around, surely the point of buying from a 'reputable' company is that you insert the disc and follow the simple online instructions!!!

If I had wanted to be a computer expert then that is the line I would have taken for work, all I can say is Adobe you are a MASSIVE let down.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to FFWKin

This link maybe of help to some of you

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4955688

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)