Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Looking for a Good Commercial Software for HD to SD Problem

Dec 29, 2012 4:57 AM

Hi together,

I did not know the problem until this discussion forum. But now, I kow how "big" the problem is.

When the HD footage is exported to MPEG2 DVD (or other downscaling), the results are very poor!!!

The suggestions in this forum and other tools which I tested did not solve the HD to SD problem. I spent two days to test the suggestions and also some commercial tools. I think the editing software PremierePro uses a very bad downscaling algorithms so that the exported video files are useless.

I tested the followinng commercial tools:

- Wondershare Video Converter Pro

- SnowFox Total Media Converter

- Nidesoft HD Video Converter

- Imtoo Video Converter Ultimate

- HD Video Converter Factory Pro

- 4 HD Video Converter

- AVS Video Converter

- Xilisoft HD Video Converter

And sure, I tested HD2SD methodic with Avisynth, HC, FrameServer, DGMPGDec, VirtualDub..... The results were also very poor.

Only Imtoo Video Converter Ultimate has a little bit better result which was also poor.

Now, I am looking for a good commercial software for the HD to SD problem.

Who can propose me a good software? Please propose if you  tested it and have a very good result.

Best Regards

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to Aida-filmmaker

We can't read your mind. You must tell us explicitly about your source footage, your intentions for it, how you are trying to get there, and what you see that's actually wrong -- in other words, you have to define for us what you mean by "very poor". if you want help.

I personally have taken a lot of 1080p30 AVCHD footage through PPro to Encore via AME for output on DVD, and the results have been excellent. As much resolution as the DVD can handle (which is a lot less than the 1080p30 source footage contains, but it's a DVD and not a BD so this is expected), excellent color and gradation, excellent sound. I know it can work.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to cfg_2451

Its all be discussed in this thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1120914?tstart=0

If OP cannot even produce descend quality dvd with Avisynth or Frameserving then somewhere down the line OP is making an user error of somesort.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to Aida-filmmaker

When the HD footage is exported to MPEG2 DVD (or other downscaling), the results are very poor!!!

CS6 actually does a very good job of downscaling if you have either CUDA acceleration turned on, or Maximum Render Quality checked in the export settings.  It will not look as good as the original, which is simply not possible.  But it will look very good for DVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to Aida-filmmaker

I use CS5 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694 to convert AVCHD to DVD, and have excellent results

ADDED... look at these... I have NOT used either, but both have been recommended in the past

CCE Basic for coding http://www.cinemacraft.com/en/

or Grass Valley Procoder http://www.grassvalley.com/products/procoder_3

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 7:33 PM   in reply to Aida-filmmaker
    Results are poor.

Chances are it's your expectations that are too high.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to Aida-filmmaker

Hi Aida-filmmaker,

Does this sample 2012_Weihnachtsmusikcal_Schule_13-12_1-pmk3.mpg that can be downloaded from here: https://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/portlet-b2-serviceportal/storage/b1317 06/PMK3/ also have the same "poor quality"

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to PMK3

downloaded from here:

Acts like it is trying to load; not the usual download. I'm leery of anything that doesn't prompt me for where to load. And can't do a "save target as."

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stan Jones wrote:

downloaded from here:

Acts like it is trying to load; not the usual download. I'm leery of anything that doesn't prompt me for where to load. And can't do a "save target as."

I have uploaded a zip file instead of the mpg file, so you should now get a prompt asking you were you want to save the zip file when you click on the icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 8:51 PM   in reply to PMK3

The OP doesn't seem's to be around here anymore,so I have removed the sample.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to PMK3

hd2sd with AviSynth produces studio quality results. It doesn't really get any better than that. The most sophisticated algorithms are used, with completely customizable options to tweak it to your liking. If it looked poor quality, it was due to incorrect settings or unrealistic expectations for SD.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points