Skip navigation
ReedWhite
Currently Being Moderated

PE-11 Inserts Single Frame From Prev Clip Into Still Clip that Follows

Dec 28, 2012 11:33 PM

Tags: #problem #error #adobe #bug #workaround #instability #windows_defender #premiere_elements_11 #stabilize_function #orphan_frame

I spent hours working to isolate the following nasty bug, and it's a strange one!

In short, while editing I was seeing a single frame from a video clip get inserted in a still clip that follows.  No, the single frame did not show up as a separate one-frame clip in another track, or whatever.  It appeared instead to be a part of the still (in other words, impossible).  How could a single video frame get inserted in a still clip (without me doing it -- not that I could do that)?  I tried deleting the still (.jpg) clip and re-inserting it in the time-line, but every time the offending artifact frame re-appeared when the still was played.

So, I deleted it from the work area, and moved in a fresh copy.  The problem persisted, even with a fresh copy!  Important: I should mention that the frame did not show itself in any other still clip that followed the video clip.  It only showed itself in that one specific .jpg when it was placed on the timeline, even with a fresh copy of the .jpg.  Somehow, PE-11 knew that I was re-importing the same .jpg, even though it had been removed from the timeline and asset area, and re-imported.  That was strange.

At this point I had been banging my head on this for almost two hours, and I was running out of ideas.  Next, I tried re-naming the .jpg before importing it.  THIS WORKED.  The offending frame was gone from the still clip.  Using exactly the same .jpg with a different name solved the problem.

I wanted to dermine the cause, so I kept experimenting.  The phemenon happened again, and it happened after I had applied a Stabilize to the preceeding video clip.  Because it happened twice after each Stabilize, I think Stabilize is the culprit.

As before, the following procedure eliminated the artifact:  (1) deleting the still clip that follows the video clip, (2) clearing the .jpg from the asset area, (3) renaming the source .jpg, (4) importing it with the new name, and (5) inserting it after the Stabilized video clip.

Because a person can easily spend more time dealing with instability behaviors than editing a video, I hope an Adobe software programmer reads this and endeavors to fix the problem.  It was observed on the Windows version of PE-11, and I expect it might be reproduceable.

... Reed White

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to ReedWhite

When you preview the clip in the Clip Monitor (before you add it your timeline), can you see the random clip?

Does the same random frame always appear at the exact same spot in the clip?

Can you zoom into the spot on your timeline as much as possible and then post a screen capture so we can look at it?

ALSO

What model of camcorder did this clip come from and how did you get it into your computer? Did you use Premiere Elements tools to capture or download it or did you use some other tool or utility?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to ReedWhite

Where, in the Duration of the Still Image, did this "phantom Frame" from the preceeding Video Clip, appear - at the beginning, the Head, or at the very end, the Tail?

If at the Head, I have no idea how that could happen, but if at the Tail, I do.

I have observed a problem, when moving Clips (Video, or Stills) on the Timeline, with Snap ON. If the following Clip is forced against the preceeding Clip too hard, the last Frame, or two, is sheared off, and will then appear at the Tail of the Clip, that was butted against the previous one, with too much force. This can result in Orphaned Frames, that can be left behind, out at the end of the Timeline, if one does any Trimming. In that case, the sheared Frame(s) ARE separate Clips, but are only noticed, if one has the Timeline View zoomed in to show the individual Frames, and even then, might not show up clearly. In full zoom mode, one can carefully select that/those Frame(s), and Delete it. Whether the sheared Frame(s) is/are seen, if one steps through the Timeline, one Clip at a time, with the PageUp/PageDn keys, the CTI (Current Time Indicator) will seem to "pause" or "hiccup," as it hits the Frame(s).

I have never noticed this behavior, with Snap ON, in Premiere Pro, but perhaps does exist there too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to ReedWhite

The "phantom Frame" appears in the middle? That is odd.

I have seen similar anomalies, but only when editing MPEG Clips, where one has a GOP (Group of Pictues) structure, where there is one I-Frame at about every 15, or so, "difference Frames," and a Cut was made between difference Frames - the I-Frame can mysteriously appear in another Clip - but never with a Still Image, which will be full I-Frame, when one Renders the Timeline and "Video" is created from the Still Image.

This is strange, and I have no idea what might be causing the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 6:28 PM   in reply to ReedWhite

Wow, that is odd behavior, indeed.

I have never heard of such, and have no idea what is going wrong in your Project. The closest that I have ever seen was with MPEG-2 material, where I Cut in the "difference Frames."

Sorry that I have no idea what is happening.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to ReedWhite

OK, going from 15 FPS to 30 FPS will entail the creation, or duplication of Frames, so maybe something is going wrong in that process?

I have never used lower Frame Rate material, so have no experience in how that can work, or perhaps not work.

Good luck, and hope that others have some useful ideas for you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points