Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop elements 11 & EPS files???

Dec 29, 2012 8:16 AM

Tags: #photoshop #windows_7 #elements #eps #11

I have Photoshop Elements 11, on a windows 7 platform, when I want to open an EPS file I get an error message stating the file type is wrong. This product claims to support this type of file.

Is this an upgrade issue or ????

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to perfectparty

Hi perfectparty,

Unfortunaly pse 11 dropped several supported file formats, eps being one of them.

more info: (where it says upgrade notes)

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/release-note/photoshop-eleme nts-11-release-notes.html

• Following file formats are no longer supported in Photoshop Elements 11 and the corresponding files will not be imported into the new catalogs
      • JPEG 2000, Filmstrip (FLM), Wireless BMP (WBM, WBMP), PCX, Targa (TGA, VDA, ICB, VST), Photoshop RAW (RAW), PICT File (PCT, PICT), Scitex CT (SCT), Photoshop EPS (EPS), EPS TIFF Preview (EPS), Generic EPS (AI3, AI4, AI5, AI6, AI7, AI8, PS, EPS, AI, EPSF, EPSP).
    • In addition, on Mac OS following formats are no longer supported: IFF Format, Photoshop 2.0, Alias PIX, PICT Resource

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to perfectparty

Photoshop Elements 11 no longer supports Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) files. It is a dated file format that really shouldn't be edited by Photoshop Elements in the first place.

If you really need to open the file, I've sent you a private message with my email address. I would be happy to convert the file for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 11:26 PM   in reply to perfectparty

perfectparty wrote:

do they offer any recommendations in regard to what to do with a the program if the purpose was to work with EPS files?

The eps format is not really an image format like tiff, jpeg or psd, it's more a printing format (an old one) like the more common today pdf format. You can import or convert an eps or pdf file to an image format ; older versions could do that with both eps or pdf files, pse11 can only import pdf.

I suppose you are not producing your own eps files, but using (old) eps illustration libraries. The solution is simple : do a Google search for 'eps converter online free' and you'll find many software able to convert not only eps but other exotic formats.

By the way, that is an excellent reason to keep your older PSE version as well as PSE11, they can be kept together on your computer

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to perfectparty

The best program to edit an eps file would probably be Adobe Illustrator, which can edit the vector and raster elements of an eps. But it's not a cheap program, for your purposes a converter might make more sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 12:44 AM   in reply to Alec Molloy

Try this to open the EPS file in PSE:

1) Click File->Open As

2) Choose your EPS file

3) Choose Tiff from file format dropdown

4) Click Ok.

EPS Tiff Preview

Use File->Open As

Generic EPS (AI3,AI4,AI5,AI6,AI7, AI8,PS,EPS.AI,EPSF,EPSP)

Drop EPS Parser.8BY (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 8/9/10\Locales\en_US\Plug-Ins) from some recent old versions in E11 Plugins folder

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Garry

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 9:45 PM   in reply to ukgaurav

Garry,

Your plug-in tip above worked for me - copied the plug-in from my old Elements 8.0 folder.

Thanks,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 9:47 PM   in reply to DaveEbenhoh

Thanks Dave for the update. Please mark this as answered so other users can also look at solution.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points