Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Multicam STILL DISFUNCTIONAL after all these years.

Dec 29, 2012 6:10 PM

I am starting this thread to try to get some attention paid to this issue again - after fighting along with several other people to try and get this issue resolved. What issue could be so important, yet so ignored on the part of Adobe? It is simply this:

 

THE MULTICAM FUNCTIONALITY IS FLAWED, AND PRESSING THE SPACEBAR DURING A MULTICAM EDIT CAUSES AN UNINTENDED EDIT BACK TO THE FIRST CAMERA SOURCE SELECTED WHEN THE PROJECT STARTS TO PLAY.

 

Nowhere in the civilized world would any editor want to create an edit when stopping playback - yet in Multicam mode with Premiere that's exactly what it does when you stop. Adobe has claimed over and over that this is just a design quirk, and not a flaw. How they justify this is anyone's guess. I'm here to stand up and say that they are being unreasonable, unfair, and absolutely unacceptable in their judgement on this issue. This IS a flaw, plain and simple, and it has kept me (and is still keeping me) from doing the most important work I have to do in Premiere as opposed to FCP or Media Composer.

 

They also came out and said that there is a "workaround" to this "quirk" by pressing the "0" key before you stop playback. THIS WORKAROUND DOES NOT WORK ON A MAC, AND THEREFORE DOES NOT WORK, AND IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE ANSWER.

 

After two years of people complaining about this issue it is both INFURIATING AND UNACCEPTABLE that Adobe pushes this issue off while other issues which would seemingly be much less important are dealt with via updates.

 

I CANNOT DO MY WORK WITH THIS ISSUE STILL HAPPENING!! Multicam editing is too important, and this problem slows me down to the point where it is absolutely unusable for me.

 

Kevin Monihan, a forum moderator went around and around with users on this issue in another thread that has since been LOCKED without resolution.  (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1069438?start=40&tstart=0)

 

Locking a thread will not cause your issue (or all of the users who cannot accept this explanation from Adobe) TO GO AWAY.   It is NOT a design "quirk" if your "workaround" does not behave the same in Windows as it does on a Mac  - and further, it's not a quirk, it's a mistake. Compare it to any and every other editor out there, and it is WRONG BEHAVIOR.  Don't tell us it's the way it is supposed to behave - we aren't stupid, and it's an insult to me and all the other professional editors out there who agree and have brought this issue up in this forum!! 

 

Yes, I am angry.

 

ADOBE - FIX THIS ISSUE ONCE AND FOR ALL.  NOW.

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to BillVincent

    What was never noted in previous posts about this very annoying issue (due to the fact that it was locked) was that it's actually the RECORD TOGGLE that causes this issue. Any time the record button is toggled on and then toggled off again Premiere has decided that that is a great place to make a cut and switch angles in your timeline. Unfortunately, there's no way to keep that record button from toggling off so that unintended cut and angle switch is inevitable.

     

    This makes Premiere Pro CS6 multicam workflow essentially disfunctional.

     

    You cannot stop or pause (using the spacebar or manually) a mulitcam edit without this error happening. So techincally it's not the stop/pause that's the issue but the record toggle. So Adobe's declaration of toggling off the record button as a successful workaround was wrong in every way. It is precisely that step that CAUSES the issue. Wherever the record button is toggled off the issue/flaw/error occurs. So if you stop/pause several seconds after you've done their "workaround" then you still end up with the awful cut and angle switch several seconds earlier. The workaround is as flawed as the feature itself.

     

    I look foward to a swift resolution to this issue that plagues this program. Premiere Pro is a very buggy program with lots of potential. One would just hope they actually care to fix things that are essentially broken. I'd welcome a true workaround at this point. One that allows you to stop your edit without this issue occuring at all anywhere in your timeline. If anyone has any real ideas on how to fix this I'm sure many users would be all ears...and "not using that feature" or "quickly fixing it everytime" is not a real solution.

     

    Oh, and Adobe, while you are at it...please enable the Audio Meters/Levels while in Mulitcam Window. I've never seen another NLE program where this feature is disabled. Every editor should be allowed basic audio monitoring at all times and the fact that it's missing here was a huge oversight which frankly makes me wonder if those who made this program really know how to edit. 

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to DMH79

    BillVincent and DMH79,

     

    I feel your pain and just wanted to add my voice of support.

     

    Adobe, I've sent you several Feature Resquests regarding desperately needed Multi-Camera editing fixes.  Please show your clients respect by fixing these issues!

     

    Thanks

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to BillVincent

    Guys, I understand the frustration, we already went around and around with this. Reposting and ranting anew isn't going to solve a thing. Please file a feature request, If you already have, that's all you can do for the time being. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 4:50 PM   in reply to BillVincent

    BillVincent wrote:

     

    Kevin Monihan, a forum moderator went around and around with users on this issue in another thread that has since been LOCKED without resolution.  (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1069438?start=40&tstart=0)

     

    Locking a thread will not cause your issue (or all of the users who cannot accept this explanation from Adobe) TO GO AWAY.   It is NOT a design "quirk" if your "workaround" does not behave the same in Windows as it does on a Mac  - and further, it's not a quirk, it's a mistake. Compare it to any and every other editor out there, and it is WRONG BEHAVIOR.  Don't tell us it's the way it is supposed to behave - we aren't stupid, and it's an insult to me and all the other professional editors out there who agree and have brought this issue up in this forum!!

    Hi BillVincent,

    It's Monahan, by the way. And I'm not a moderator but I help and assist moderators. I'm a content lead and write the Help for Premiere Pro and After Effects.

     

    The thread was locked because users were ranting, going round and round in a circle with no end in sight. If you rant, you get locked. Here are the community guidelines that say, "no ranting." We didn't lock it because we are afraid to hear about our shortcomings, in fact, we feel you should point them out. The way that thread was going, however, was not productive. This thread is going down the same road. Keep it civil and the community will appreciate it more. Rant on, and I'll lock it.

     

    To change the multicamera interface and workflow, is a major change. It is not a patch or a simple fix, and I highly doubt that something like this is changed or altered between versions. I know it's hard to be patient, but file a feature request and "stay tuned." That's really all you can do at this point.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to DMH79

    DMH79 wrote:

     

    What was never noted in previous posts about this very annoying issue (due to the fact that it was locked) was that it's actually the RECORD TOGGLE that causes this issue. Any time the record button is toggled on and then toggled off again Premiere has decided that that is a great place to make a cut and switch angles in your timeline. Unfortunately, there's no way to keep that record button from toggling off so that unintended cut and angle switch is inevitable.

     

    This makes Premiere Pro CS6 multicam workflow essentially disfunctional.

     

    When you operate Premiere Pro this way, yes, it won't work the way you expect. It has been suggested by veteran PPro users to do the multicam edit in real time, and then go back and fix the angles and trims. It works pretty well (as I said before, this was exactly the way I used to cut multicam in FCP and Avid), but if you use a different workflow from another NLE, you might not like this. So, to you, it is broken. Fine, all I can suggest is file a feature request and sit tight.

    DMH79 wrote:

    You cannot stop or pause (using the spacebar or manually) a mulitcam edit without this error happening. So techincally it's not the stop/pause that's the issue but the record toggle. So Adobe's declaration of toggling off the record button as a successful workaround was wrong in every way. It is precisely that step that CAUSES the issue. Wherever the record button is toggled off the issue/flaw/error occurs. So if you stop/pause several seconds after you've done their "workaround" then you still end up with the awful cut and angle switch several seconds earlier.

     

    After investigation, toggling off Record is not a valid workaround for what you want to do. As you stated, you really cannot edit in this way in the Premiere Pro interface. The workflow is not exactly like FCP or Avid in every respect (only some). Again, I suggest editing it in real time and then go back and make changes, as I used to do in FCP and Avid. I wonder what your specific problem with this workflow is? I think it's very fast.

     

    DMH79 wrote:

    I look foward to a swift resolution to this issue that plagues this program.

     

    I do hope you get your feature request filled.

    DMH79 wrote:

    Premiere Pro is a very buggy program with lots of potential.

     

    It might surprise you, but all NLEs have bugs, and lots of them. Some more annoying than others. I've seen the bug databases for other NLEs, believe me, it's no picnic.

    DMH79 wrote:

    One would just hope they actually care to fix things that are essentially broken.

     

    You're suggesting we "don't care." I have to strongly disagree there. I've worked at a lot of companies, and believe me, this team does care about fixing bugs and granting popular customer requests.

    DMH79 wrote:

    I'd welcome a true workaround at this point. One that allows you to stop your edit without this issue occuring at all anywhere in your timeline. If anyone has any real ideas on how to fix this I'm sure many users would be all ears...and "not using that feature" or "quickly fixing it everytime" is not a real solution.

    Currently, there isn't one. You simply have to find a different workflow until when (and if) your request is fulfilled.

    DMH79 wrote:

    Oh, and Adobe, while you are at it...please enable the Audio Meters/Levels while in Mulitcam Window. I've never seen another NLE program where this feature is disabled. Every editor should be allowed basic audio monitoring at all times and the fact that it's missing here was a huge oversight which frankly makes me wonder if those who made this program really know how to edit.

     

    Sounds like a bug, file a bug report: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 7:57 PM   in reply to BillVincent

    It takes a lot less time to reverse for three or four seconds to find that sweet spot and then commit the edit  than to have to go back and fix all the slop.

     

    It actually doesn't, more so with the way PP works.  Correcting the edit points is very quick, skipping along and using the Rolling Edit tool.

     

     

    the overriding difference you and I (and the rest of the users who care about this issue) have is that you will not admit that this is a bug... All evidence to the contrary!

     

    A bug is by definition when the software does not perform as intended.  This is performing exactly as it was programmed, therefore not a bug.  Feature Request is correct.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 8:15 PM   in reply to BillVincent

    I would really like to see an experienced multi cam editor using Premiere Multicam as it is and as it is designed.  ( a video screen capture of the process)

     

    I dont do enough multicam editing to have a full opinion,  but know enough from experience of it,  that I do not want to "edit-on-the-fly" then roll back and fix an "issue" caused by the fact ...I want to let my brain catch up with my position on the timeline.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 12:49 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

    Thanks Kevin.

     

    A few thoughts on this most happiest of new years...

     

    I know YOU care. It's evident from the time and patience you've spent on this topic over numerous threads. There's one or two others that often reply here that I deem inadequate or generally unhelpful and often laugh at and ignore their responses. But you've always shown a great deal of compassion in your responses and I thank you for that. And to be honest, I'm sure Adobe does care too. They obviously create great software. And Premiere Pro CS6 really is no exception. It's just unfortunate that they consider multicam an important feature of this particular software but yet neglect to fix this issue since it was first reported over two years ago. Two months makes sense. But two years? Guess that just means its our job to make this issue "more popular".  It's far too nice of a program to have this issue continue to plague it year after year and thread after thread. I sense from your responses that this issue has been duly noted and the "team" is aware, but that it may not have their full attention because its a bigger and deeper issue than one would think. And that's sad. Its sad that those who use multicam each and every day have to "deal" with it knowing that no end is in sight. Yes, I am passionate about this issue as you can see from my now locked THREAD about it. That's because I care too. I edit for a living up to 80 hours per week and every week that includes 5 or 6 multicam edits that range from 10 minutes to an hour or more. I deal with the issue day in and day out so that's why I can't avoid it.

     

    The thing is...I love Premiere. You wouldn't know it from some of my posts on this issue, but there's a reason I'm using it. It's great. Unfortunately, the two things I use the most (Warp Stabilizer - I apply this effect about 200-300 times per week (no exaggeration)  & Multicam - Like I said, several lengthy multicam edits every single week) have major issues. But like you said, all NLE's have their issues and bugs. Ain't that the truth. Multicam is actually great in Premiere EXCEPT for the fact that you can't stop an edit without this the unintended cut and angle change and also the fact that you cannot monitor audio levels while editing for some reason. Fix those two things and it's a great feature...but as it stands, it needs help. My constant "does Adobe care?" sentiment is an honest question and one I bring up only because I don't have a long history here so I have nothing to pull from except a two year old unresolved post about this issue started by another user and also from acknowledgement from you (or another "staff member"...can't remember) that multicam is VERY important to the Adobe team. That's precisely why I would hope that they fix these two glaring issues sooner than later.

     

    Warp Stabilizer is awesome...BUT its very buggy. That I know. I apply that to hundreds of clips every week and I have isolated three (3) VERY repeatable issues with this effect that cause either errors or freezes (ticktime error, toggle off, and auto-save). At this point, with how much I use that effect, I'd almost consider myself an expert on it. I can repeat them with ease and have filed the appropriate bug reports. We'll see. I have high hopes for that since its clearly a "bug" issue. But that's for another thread.

     

    Kevin, thank you for calling the missing audio levels/meters while editing multicam a bug. Thank god! Yes, I've submitted a bug report. I'd love for others to join in.

     

    So, since my previous two threads were locked without warning my hope for this new thread is that it stays alive (so I don't have to keep on other forums and coming up with new 21st century ways to "spread the word" about this issue and can keep the focus here where it belongs) and hopefully we can come up with either  a) a note from a staff member with great news that a fix is on the way ... or b) someone chiming in with some secret key to press so you can stop the multicam edit without it causing the dreaded cut and angle change. I've learned to deal with it. You have to. But Bill Vincent has basically said everything I was thinking so I'll keep this thread productive and hopefully a fix will come soon.

     

    Kevin, I do appreciate your feedback. I always have. You are doing your job and as a paying user, I'll do mine and keep you guys abreast of the issue, even if that means an innocent "bump" every now and then just to see if there's any new news or solutions on the horizon. I want this program to be great. It is what I choose to use day in and day out 80 hours per week. Unfortunately, my projects are all basically the same thing and multicam and warp stabilizer will always be a huge part of my daily routine so I'm reminded every day of what's wrong with Premiere. If the Adobe team does, as you say, care about fixing bugs and granting popular customer requests then its in my best interest to keep this request popular.

     

    So if you are reading this for the first time as a new user...CLICK HERE to let the team know of this issue. Thank you all and happy editing.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to BillVincent

    Okay Jm, you still didn't say that you would accept the behavior from the normal timeline... And I don't think you would.

     

    Agreed.  But how does that argument change anything?

     

     

    It is having to fix the edit and switch back to the last cam after every time you stop... Hardly quick or fast.

     

    The point is, don't stop. That's when it becomes faster than the work flow you're used to.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to DMH79

    Indeed, 2 years is a long time to wait for a fix, or change to an important workflow. I'm sorry about that, because I know how important it is to users like you. I want you to know that multcam workflow is very important to the team, and each release has had improvements to the tool. We are aware of the tool's deficiencies and your feedback is helpful. Whether you want to call it a bug or a feature request, I agree with you that the behavior should be modified and I don't like it either. That is why, behind the scenes, I am making sure they know about your concerns. I am also sure they have read the many feature requests you and others have sent in. The posts you have written are great, and I appreciate your passion. The thread locking business had more to do with going 'round and 'round in circles, as I can't snap my fingers and put the feature in your hands.

     

    I also am a professional editor too. I don't like the current behavior of the tool. When I first came on board, I really didn't like a lot about Premiere Pro over FCP and Avid. However, note the amount of fixes and updates we've done specifically for FCP editors over the past few releases. The amount of work in this regard has been huge. I strongly believe that this work will continue. Unfortunately, I agree with you, our multicam tool leaves a lot to be desired. We really, really want to improve it. We're also sorry you are getting so frustrated by an industry standard workflow. That's why specific feature requests will help us get there. Recall that it took several versions of FCP to come up to the level of Media Composer, and that's what we're also up against. It's going to take some versions to get it right.

     

    Thanks again, and thanks for your patience regarding improving the multcamera workflow.

     

     

    DMH79 wrote:

     

    Thanks Kevin.

     

    A few thoughts on this most happiest of new years...

     

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to BillVincent

    BillVincent wrote:

     

    To sum up the reason why I am so frustrated over this is because as a professional editor, I don't appreciate someone telling me that something is supposed to be a certain way on purpose, when it is most definitely wrong! 1

     

    I learned multicam on Avid back in the 90's, and FCP took 7 major versions to have anything similar to that. FCP 1.0? No. FCP 1.01? No. FCP 2? No. FCP 3? No. FCP 4? No. FCP HD (4.5) No. FCP 5? Finally! Also keep in mind the basic things that never were implemented in FCP that were really important to editors coming from Avid (Virtual KEM, dynamic trimming, etc.).

     

    Premiere Pro is going through similar growing pains. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, and I do agree with you that the multicamera tool should offer an editor the choice to make a cut or leave the cut alone. A feature request is the best weapon in getting what you want. And be specific. Rants don't get you anywhere, but feature requests do. I don't mind impassioned discussion, but please, giant blue letters are not necessary. Let's have a discussion about it.

     

    BillVincent wrote:

     

    You can't tell me that this behavior is correct for ANY timeline, not just multicam. I say again, if the normal timeline created an edit every time you stopped playback, people would be screaming bloody murder until something was done.

    I don't think of it that way, since multicamera editing uses a wholly different mode. Let's just say that I agree that when stopping playback in multicamera session, it should not behave as it currently does--the Space Bar should merely stop playback.

     

    BillVincent wrote:

     

    Don't insult my professional intelligence by saying this is appropriate behavior for the software. And I also would like to see even ONE pro editor try to use multicam and tell me it behaves as it should, or that the behavior is preferred for any long form edit.

     

    I'm agreeing with you, the behavior is wrong. It should be modified. Whether or not it's the appropriate behavior of the tool, it is the way it was originally designed, and that's the unfortunate reality we're dealing with. I have no idea why it was designed that way either. Please know that this is a change most pro editors would want.

     

    Believe it or not, I'm an editor too. Before I came to the video software business, I also found it hard to understand why fixes and new features took so long to implement. Let's say you create this cool new feature, but when you check it in to the main branch, other tools get broken. Those are the kinds of things engineers and QA has to deal with.

     

    BillVincent wrote:

     

    Why ARE we going around and around about this? Why can't Adobe admit this fault? Is there a legal issue behind this somehow? Are we not getting the full story? Why is it so hard to call this a bug? Why continue to provide excuses and arguments instead of addressing this issue head on?

     

    We're going round and round about this because it is an important workflow that is not optimal and could use a modification for those that are FCP switchers, and others, used to a different behavior. I'm an Adobe employee. Here's the straight dope: the tool as designed is not working the way we want, and we as pro editors agree that it should be fixed. Since CS5.5 (post FCPX), more and more FCP editors have been coming into the fray expecting absolutely everything should work precisely the way FCP does. Tough road to hoe! We've been doing our best, and most have appreciated the work we have done over the past few releases, but we admit we have a lot left to do. I am addressing the issue head on by telling you to file a feature request. The more feature requests on any one feature, the more weight it gets for consideration on an upcoming release. For those new to the Adobe community, that's exactly the way we've always dealt with issues like this. Sorry if you weren't aware of that. I also meet with the team to tell them of customer complaints, I'll make sure to let them know that people are still disappointed that the feature has not yet been modified to the way it should.

    BillVincent wrote:

     

    Don't just give the same story again. Tell me why the normal timeline doesn't create an edit when the playback stops and multicam does, along with changing back to the first angle before playback began.  Explain the reasoning, and maybe I can somehow understand. Was this behavior on the advice of a pro editor? Who, and why?

     

    Let's not waste time as to the reasoning about the way the tool was designed. It is what it is. Let's just both agree that this behavior should be fixed and let's work towards that.

     

    BillVincent wrote:

     

    The level of frustration over this is huge, not just because of the problem itself, but because of the way we are being sold down the river by being told it is intentional behavior.

     

    Sold down the river? I'm just telling you that it was the way the tool was designed. We agree that we don't like the way it was designed and should file feature requests about how it should be working. That sums it up, but unfortunately, a lot of multicamera editors coming from FCP or Avid are going to have to be patient.

     

    BillVincent wrote:

     

    What once was just a technical issue has now become ths ridiculous sideshow of back and forth. You have made this issue personal by being so obstinate about it. Maybe a supervisor needs to review this issue. I am furious not over the issue, but from the attitude Adobe has taken toward it's users over it.

     

    I'm just telling you the way it is. Nothing changes without a feature request. It's too bad I can't snap my fingers and give you the feature you want. Also, that I agree with you. I'm on your side. I think you'll get much further by adding your voice in a feature request or bug report: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

    Thanks Kevin.

     

    Yeah, I know that it takes time. If we focus on statements like what you just made instead of "it's not important" feedback from general users like the ones above that say things like "some few of you don't like (this issue)" then the fire over this issue would probably burn, but be less hot if you know what I mean. I advise Bill and others who care about this issue to ignore those users in this thread as they can be generally unhelpful and often inadvertantly belittling with specific issues like this. Kevin, I appreciate your attention to this issue and for doing whatever you can in the background. Without your feedback here I know I would be MUCH more...um...how do I say it...passionate than I already am about this. But your feedback is careful and compassionate and is always welcome. Plus, I think you actually know what you are talking about.

     

    Like I have said many times, bug or not, the current design serves no purpose except to cause problems for editors. There isn't a single reason that it is a good thing to have this feature. If the only way to get this "moved up the list" is to bring more attention to it, then that's what I'll do. Not here in this forum necessarily but in other avenues. Not everyone edits multicam. Not everyone edits long multicam sequences that are complex with moving cameras etc where editing all the way through without stopping is counter productive and avoiding making tons of mistakes is impossible. I don't find this suggested workflow to be a big pain when I'm editing simple mulitcam interviews or speaker/reaction stuff. In fact it works quite well that way. But when you get into hour long sequences with multiple cameras and complex moves its a pain. Not to mention the missing audio meter/level bug.

     

    I do see how PPro has improved. Coming over from FCP in September I was pleasantly surprised by how sharp it was. Minus this issue (and the missing mulitcam audio meters) and the warp bugs it's a great experience for me personally and one that I hope continues to improve. I just happen to heavily use two things that have major issues. Much of the rest of my days editing with PPro is quite smooth. And I am on this program day and night. Heck, I had over 300GB of Media Cache Files alone to clean the other day. These are no small projects. But imagine if every day you open up your project and you have to start by hitting "Continue" on an error around 400 times. You get used to it but then you are left sometimes wondering what you are paying forevery month on the Cloud. But I have faith in Adobe. With the huge exodus of FCP users looking for a new home, Adobe is smart to update things accordingly. I don't want Adobe Premiere to be "like FCP" either. I just want it to not make unintended cuts for me and not start my day with 400 continues. Ha! But thank you for your posts and feedback here. I don't expect version 6.0.4 to address all the issues I have. There are lots of other issues and bugs that others care about. I just hope to see baby steps toward a resolution.  

     

    Acknowledgement on your part that you also "don't like the behavior and that it should be modified" is the first step in putting out the fire so thank you for being honest.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

    Kevin Monahan wrote:

     

    Let's just say that I agree that when stopping playback in multicamera session, it should not behave as it currently does--the Space Bar should merely stop playback.

     

    Nothing changes without a feature request. It's too bad I can't snap my fingers and give you the feature you want. Also, that I agree with you. I'm on your side. I think you'll get much further by adding your voice in a feature request or bug report: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish.

     

    Again, thank you Kevin. Please everyone reading this that cares...click that link!

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to DMH79

    The really hard thing is that I can't really tell you what we're working on right now. I wish the rules were different. I can say that, we know about multicamera issues, and are working hard on fixes and improvements. In the mean time, I'll bring up this issue with team at the next meeting. I'm your commuity manager, which means I'm your direct link to the Premiere Pro product team. I'll do my best for you.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to BillVincent

    Nice, thanks for filing it as a bug. I do think it could go either way because most editors coming from other NLEs are confused by this behavior. Be it a bug or a FR, we are aware that this behavior is frustrating users. Let's hope we see a fix in an upcoming version.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

    Hi Kevin,

     

    Thank you for chiming in and agreeing that the current auto track changing behavior is undesirable and needs to be fixed.  I agree with you that it may not be a 'bug' per se, but that begs the questions "Why it the world was it programmed this way in the first place?" (BTW, I already filled a Feature Request to have this changed)

     

    In an earlier post you wrote:

    "To change the multicamera interface and workflow, is a major change. It is not a patch or a simple fix"

     

    Actually, I believe that the current behavior was probably harder to program than simply letting the current camera angle remain when stopping playback.  By simple virtue of logic, one could reason that requesting an automatic camera angle change would require additional program code, whereas simply keeping the current camera angle when stopping playback would require no additional coding.  If this is in fact the case, then fixing this problem should be a simple matter of removing the insidious code that instructs Premiere Pro to automatically revert back to the original camera angle when Multi-Camera playback stops.

     

    Regardless of whether fixing this is a minor or major change, the fact remains that the current behavior seriously hinders the usability of PP's Multi-Camera editing capability.  Jim Simon's statement that editors should simply not stop a multi-cam edit is unhelpful.  I can think of dozens of reasons editors might want or need to pause a multi-cam edit: phone call, washroom break, fix a cut to wrong camera, review camera angles before making a cut as BillVincent rightfully suggests, etc.

     

    2 years is simply too long a wait for fixing a serious workflow mistake that never should have been made in the first place.

     

    Kevin, I would really appreciate it if you could add your opinion and wisdom to another area that I feel the entire CS suite needs some fixing: Fonts.  More specifically, Font Organization (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1129861) and Font List Consistency (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4955178).

     

    BillVincent and DMH79, with your passionate yet objective calls to action, I would also love to hear what you both have to say about these ideas I've suggested.  Thank you!

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2013 6:38 PM   in reply to BillVincent

    We have spoken.  Adobe has listened.  Multicam is fixed!!!  PPCS6.5 can't come out soon enough!

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)