Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Digital Editions for Surface RT

Dec 29, 2012 10:59 AM

I would like to purchase a Microsoft Surface tablet to replace my netbook. The Surface runs the Windows 8 RT operating system, which is different from Windows 8. Executable files (such as the Adobe Digital Editions installation EXE) cannot be run on RT -- apps must be downloaded from the Microsoft Windows App Store. Will Adobe make a version of Adobe Digital Editions that will run on the Surface RT?

Thanks,

Cara

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to Cara Hart 42

Cara we do not currently support Windows RT with Adobe Digital Editions.  You can find the current system requirements listed at http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices.

You may also want to reference Digital Editions Supported Devices - http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices for a list of supported devices and applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to Cara Hart 42

We would have to completely rewrite the software to work on an ARM based processor.  We are always continually evaluating additonal platforms to release for Adobe Digital Editions.  I would recommend looking at the supported devices page as was previously offered in message #1.

If you have not already purchased your Windows RT device you may want to hold off as I believe a version running the full version of Windows 8 will soon be available.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to Cara Hart 42

Hi Cara,

I have been doing a little research on this sort of topic. I am in college at the moment for web developing and was planning to buy the Windows surface tablet in 2 weeks. I wanted a tablet that I could carry around with me and work on school stuff. Thing is I need it to run Adobe software's such as Photoshop and Fireworks. From what I can tell Surface RT will not do this. My plan is to either hold off until Windows surface pro comes out or find a different tablet that has a Windows 8 OS and not RT. I don't really know much about the question you are asking, but if you are going to spend a good chunk of money on a tablet, you might as well just wait and gather a little more money and buy one with a Windows 8 OS. This way you know without a doubt anything that can run on a Windows 8 OS or below will run on that tablet. Clearly I am not telling you what to do, but I don't want you disappointed either. I am really glad I found out about the things Windows surface RT can't do before I bought it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to Cara Hart 42

I see what you are saying now Cara. I can see how the Surface RT would fit your needs just fine. I know what you mean about checking out tablets to see if I can find one that will do what I need it to do. I already have a laptop and a desktop that work just fine. I really just wanted a tablet that would be able to do a few things as needed if I am say not at home to work on stuff. I would never make it my main editing source. I really can't explain what my intentions are with a Windows 8 OS tablet. I make a monthly payment to Adobe for their creative cloud so I can have whatever software I need at my fingertips. I really like the cloud so that way no matter where I am I can access my work and send it in or make a few small changes before submitting it. I pretty much really need the comforts of all Windows OS features, yet in something smaller than a laptop that would say fit in my purse!

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking in your first question. I guess you can say I am trying to do my homework before I spend a good amount of money on something so tiny.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 4:39 PM   in reply to Cara Hart 42

This is all pussy-footing around a really serious issue. Windows TR Surface tablets are a mainstream device that is here to stay, and every Microsoft and Adobe customer has a reasonable expectation that mainstream e-products they have bought - such as Adobe DRM-protected e-books from mainstream e-book sellers/publishers - will NOT be locked out from being used on such a device. Having lumbered the world of e-books with the chastity belt of DRM, Adobe has a direct  responsibility to make sure that its much-touted universal solution to copyright protection on e-books DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST or DISADVANTAGE those of us who have a Microsoft Surface Tablet instead of an Ipad or an Android  device.

It is NOT good enough for Adobe spokespersons to tell us - as on this forum - that it is too expensive or too much trouble, or that we should not buy this mainstream device but go with that because they can't be bothered living up to the hype about Adobe Digital Editions that heas lured e-book publishers into using the platform.

Now I have to complain to certain e-book publishers that they have let down the customer by publishing only in DRM-PDF format instead of something civilised and truly transportable between a legitimate customer's portable devices, such as Epub. And I'm talking about expensive academic and technical e-publications at $50 or more each, not $2.99 bodice-rippers!

Shame on you, Adobe!

Associate Professor Neale Draper,

Australia

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 1:57 AM   in reply to NealeD

Will the Overdrive app for Windows8 do the job of reading DRM eBooks.

It looks like it from the blurb.

http://www.overdrive.com/News/New-OverDrive-App-Taps-Power-of-Windows- 8

iPads and android tablets don't run ADE. 

DRM and non-DRM files can be transferred to read on those tablets with appropriate app installed and registered on the tablet.

Assuming Overdrive does indeed work on an WinRT tablet, isn't that the same as for other tablets?

And I think Bluefire intend to make their app available.

You can't expect an RT to replace a laptop/desktop/netbook with full Windows/Mac OS, only to replace a tablet.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to sjpt

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I checked the Overdrive media console webpage, and the Windows Surface RT OMC app does not support Adobe DRM documents, sadly. I think the solution has to come from Adobe, who created this digital document platform and persuaded mainstream publishers to adopt it.

Yes, a device like a Surface RT is not a full laptop, it is a tablet - and one of the primary functions of a tablet is as a reader for digital documents!

Thanks very much though to sjpt for an inspired suggestion!

Assoc. Prof. Neale Draper

<Removed by Moderator>

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 10:27 AM   in reply to NealeD

NealeD I do want to confirm that we do not offer a version of Adobe Digital Editions for Android or iOS.  You can see the system requirements for Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 at http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions/tech-specs.html.

If a Windows 8 RT application does become available then it is likely it will be added to the list of supported devices and activations at http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices.

I also reviewed the page and from what I can see it does look like Sjpt's suggestion might be a viable option.  You can find more information about the formats supported at http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/.  In addition there is separate page which lists incompatible devices at http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/incompatibledevices.aspx.  If you have a specific URL which is stating that Windows 8 will not support Adobe EPUB and PDF can you please post it to the message thread?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to NealeD

H'mmm. 

I just checked out the Windows8 Metro (what are we meant to call it?) specific version of Overdrive.

I didn't check it on a tablet but on the Metro side of full Windows 8; I guess it should be the same, but ???

I did manage to register it with my AdobeID (charms-Settings-Accounts).

I then found that it would not open DRM .epub files from the main part of the PC (library or bought).

However, when I opened a .acsm file for a library DRM ebook, it did work

Trying to open my (only) bought DRM ebook using the .acsm file,

it keeps saying 'system busy, this title will be added after the current process has finished'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other advice indicates that it is meant to be able to ... eg from http://www.koorong.com/info/ebooks/deviceadvice.jsp

Windows 8 RT Tablet:

Getting Started:

You will need to install an app capable of reading DRM-protected ePub files on your Windows 8 tablet device. We recommend Overdrive Media Console available for free from the Microsoft App Store.

You will also need to enter your Adobe ID into Overdrive which can be done through the 'Accounts' option in the Settings menu. Swipe in from the right of the screen to open the menu and select 'Settings'. Select 'Accounts' and then 'Authorize'. Enter your Adobe ID and password.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to Cara Hart 42

As far as I am aware, Adobe has not ported Digital Editions software to Android or ios.

There are Adobe DRM capable apps on those devices; but these apps are not supplied by Adobe.

(I assume the app vendors have some agreement with Adobe on the DRM details.)

It will be interesting to see if the WinRT Overdrive App really can read DRM books other than Overdrive Library books on Windows RT.

I guess that there will be a Bluefire app for WinRT pretty soon as well.

Then an RT tablet will be in pretty much the same situation as an android or ios tablet.

Meanwhile, there are apps such as epubee http://epubee.com

There are arguments on both sides about the legality of using such software;

as long as it is not used to circumvent the intent of the DRM it seems morally completely justified in cases there is no alternative solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Hi Jeff,

On the Overdrive Media Console site http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/ go to “See what formats you can use on your computer or device” halfway down the page – this takes you to the Device Resource Center page http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/ .

Scroll down to Microsoft Surface with Windows RT and you will see that only Kindle, Epub and MP3 are supported (which you can do with many apps for this device), and that PDF DRM files are not supported.

Regards,

Neale

Chief Executive Officer & Principal Heritage Consultant

Australian Cultural Heritage Management P/L

446 South Road, MARLESTON, SA, 5033

t (08) 8340 9566

f (08) 8340 9577

m 0408 657 544

Level 7, 524 Hay Street, PERTH, WA, 6000

t (08) 6211 5300

f (08) 9221 5961

108 Powlett Street, KILMORE, VIC, 3764

t (03) 5782 0268

f (03) 5781 0268

e neale.draper@achm.com.au<mailto:neale.draper@achm.com.au>

www.achm.com.au<http://www.achm.com.au/>

Associate Professor

Department of Archaeology,

Flinders University of South Australia

http://www.flinders.edu.au/ehl/archaeology

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to Cara Hart 42

I have found that the best way to manage content for my sony e-reader is to install the sony reader software (which is on the reader) onto my laptop (just connect them and it wants to do it) and purchase content (including Kobo etc) via the laptop, and keep the library there (sony reader software opens a my books folder in my documents) and load them / delete them on the e-reader as desired. If the laptop has your DRM registration, all content transfers just fine, I have found. Still waiting for equivalent sony app for surface tablet on Windows RT, and their is a Kobo app, but it has limited functionality, though they say they are working to improve this.

Regards,

Neale

CEO,

Australian Cultural Heritage Management

Archaeology Department, Flinders University of South Australia

<Removed by Moderator>

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 9:32 PM   in reply to Cara Hart 42

I found a basic reader, DL Reader, which uses your Adobe ID.No highlighting, bookmarks,etc. Only other way is to purchase a program which remoes the DRM restriction.

Hopefully DL reader will be uograded at some time.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 1:45 AM   in reply to trainmore

DL Reader does not appear to run on Windows RT, only a full Windows 8 system.

Only other way is to purchase a program which remoes the DRM restriction.

epubee is free and does a good job.

DRM stripping should only be used where legally permitted,

or in some cases, where clearly ethically justified because the absurdities of Adobe's inept ADEPT DRM infrastructure prevent use within the intended ts&cs.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 3:55 AM   in reply to sjpt

I have it loaded & running. Loaded from RT store. Only displayed covers once I had opened the book.

Sent from Windows Mail

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to trainmore

Ah, thanks.  I had been misled by what it said on the DL Reader website.

I have downloaded a version to my regular Windows 8 just to test.

It does indeed claim to be the RT version, not full Windows 8.

It works for me.  I can do page turns with the left/right arrows half-way up the sides of the screen.

Cursor keys don't work; which is (maybe) reasonable for an RT app; I assume swiping would work but can't check on my desktop.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 11:59 AM   in reply to sjpt

Even I have bought the Surface RT, which is less price, most easy to access, known interface of windows, able to attach to my computer easily or my skydrive.

It also has keyboard and I can attach mouse too. I started reading books and tech pdf's for my knowledge improvement in this while i am in my bed or at my desk.

I would also love to see Adobe making an Digital editions app for Surface RT Tablet in the Microsoft Store since RT is the tablet kind like an ereader which last long with more battery and processor support. I love the adobes Reader app in the RT Store. Need the same kind of Digital editions app to buy and read books in my tablet. Adobe, could you consider this request ?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to Praba.haran

I think it unlikely Adobe will consider the request;

• they don't even seem interested in fixing the myriad bugs in ADE2.0/2.0.1
    • they don't provide apps for other tablets such as android or ios, but rely on third party apps

Have you tried the DL Reader app?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to sjpt

It works for me too, but I cannot manage to enlarge my fonts, and letters are a bit too small for me:-(

I can read my book, but I get really tired very fast, it would be good it I could just enlarge them with a small movement of my two fingers, like a picture or anything else on the tablet...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to Cara Hart 42

In case this thread is still active . . .

The eBook.de READER app allows Adobe Digital Editions books to be viewed on a Windows 8.1 tablet. The interface is in German but it does seem to work ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

so your sayiing that it wouldnt be worth spending the time making adobe products for the surface rt, yes you would have to rewrite the software, however you did basically did this for the iOS and android versions of photoshop, so why not on the RT???

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2013 3:57 PM   in reply to Declan_Foster

so your sayiing that it wouldnt be worth spending the time making adobe products for the surface rt, yes you would have to rewrite the software, however you did basically did this for the iOS and android versions of photoshop, so why not on the RT???

Two things. 

Adobe does make some software for iOS and Android, but not Digital Editions; third parties make compatible programs.

And why not the RT ... because the market isn't big enough to justify the cost. 

If Microsoft wants to push RT they need to get over that market threshold, so they had better write or persuade third parties to write the appropriate apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 10:14 AM   in reply to sjpt

I bought the surface RT some weeks ago. I am just a normal user, not an IT crack. I informed myself before buying and realized that there is an app for RT which is able to open DRM locked epubs. I admit I thought that the app will also open DRM locked pdfs.

Wrong! It took today several hours to find this fact. A normal user is not able to go into such details in your software before he buy anything.

Dear Adobe Team, please consider to develop an app for DRM locked pfds for RT. I am working at a university and we handle all day with DRM locked pdfs.

Please let me state, that I, as a consumer of articles and books, really don´t like being a victim of Microsoft product managing policies and Adobe product managing policies as they follow different aims... I am just a normal user who wants to read the article I bought - in a very simple way.

Hope to get an official feedback from Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 11:09 AM   in reply to ek1780

@ek1780:

> Dear Adobe Team, please consider to develop an app for DRM locked pfds for RT

The eBooks.de app allows you to read Adobe DRMed books and pdf files on the Surface (Windows RT).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 12:48 PM   in reply to Cara Hart 42

Try ythe apps "DL Reader" or "DReader".

Authorize them with your Adobe ID and you should be able to use the RT.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 2:39 PM   in reply to sjpt

I tried all of them before I visit that forum... With DL Reader or DReader (as well as ebook.de) I am able to read DRM protected ebooks (epub) but NOT protected pdfs (neither bought ones nor borrowed from library).

During the last years I was always able to read those files with Adobe Digital oder Adobe Reader (both not available for RT, Adobe Touch is not able to read those files). As a simple user, using Windows, I cant understand why there are always those difficulties with new running systems.... I simply dont want to bother with that.... *sigh*

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 3:20 AM   in reply to ek1780

As a simple user, using Windows,

Unfortunately, you aren't really using Windows, you are using something Microsoft marketing chose to call Windows to confuse people.

Also, with it still being a minority platform developers aren't rushing to support it.

The only way I know round this is to use a DRM stripper such as epubee BEFORE you deauthorize the device.

I do NOT advocate using such code to get around the valid limitations placed on a DRM book.

However, where the problem arises only because of the ineptness of Adobe's ADEPT DRM infrastructure and its implementation (or lack of it),

such a measure is totally justifiable.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2014 4:03 PM   in reply to sjpt

I am having terrible trouble understanding all this ... I have a simple question and would like a simple answer please ... I want to use ADE (or other such product) on my Microsoft Surface RT with Windows 8.1.  I have Overdrive Media Console installed, but can't seem to find out how to download content to my Kobo ereader device.  I don't understand all the jargon being thrown around and am getting thoroughly confused about what to do and what not to do.  Please help.  What do I need and where do I get it?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points