Skip navigation
photobugmom
Currently Being Moderated

Gradient Annotator is not showing.

Dec 29, 2012 12:12 PM

I am using ai Cs6.  I have a circle that I filled with a linear gradient (I do not have stroke selected).  I have my gradient filled graphic selected and turned on Show Gradient Annotator from the View menu.  But, the annotator does not appear.  What am I doing wrong or am I missing a step?  

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to photobugmom

Did you click on the Gradient Tool or depress the G key?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 8:46 PM   in reply to photobugmom

The Gradient Annotator will only show if: a) Show Gradient Annotator has been activated; b) a gradient-filled path is selected; and c) the Gradient Tool is active.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to tromboniator

... d) the gradient-filled path is not a live paint group

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

and

... d) the gradient-filled path is not a live paint group

Thanks, Monika.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 10:36 PM   in reply to tromboniator

if you select a top level layer or sublayer that only has one path in it, that also will not show the gradient annotator, you have to open that layer and select the path within it (I used the selection circle to the right of the path), then the gradient annotator appears.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 11:53 PM   in reply to bluefire777

If you click the circle for the layer you do not just select that layer, you target it, which means that you are dealing with appearances applied at the layer level. If you click to the right of the layer's circle, you will select the layer, which by default targets the contents of the layer but not the layer itself. If a gradient is applied at the object (path) level, the gradient annotator will appear when the object is targeted, but not when the containing layer is targeted. So, if the gradient is applied to the path, and you targeted the layer by clicking its circle, you then must click the path's circle to reach the path's appearances and thus the path's gradient and annotator associated with it.

Apparently the concept of targeting vs. selecting is a difficult one to grasp, as you can by the discussion here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 3:38 AM   in reply to tromboniator

Thanks Trombo, it was a very indepth discussion (the link)

I find the circle target useful for applying appearances between objects and drag/drop onto other objects, as well as see what objects at the path level have appearances, without having to have the appearance panel open to see this. And applying appearances to layers that do not yet have objects but in preparation.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points