Skip navigation
cjdouglas123
Currently Being Moderated

Quick Selection Tool

Dec 29, 2012 12:34 PM

Tags: #photoshop_elements_11

Hello

Im new to Elements 11 and when I use my Quick Secection Tool instead of sececting my object it draws a custome selecting line ??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to cjdouglas123

I'm not sure what you mean by "draws a custome selecting line". When you use the Quick Selection tool, it should automatically find the edges of the object you drag over (more or less), and then you should see the marching ants (the animated dashed line) around the selection. If that's not what's happening, can you post a screenshot of what you do see?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to cjdouglas123

The object selected is within the "marching ants." Press CTRL+J to put the selection on its own layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to cjdouglas123

There are two similar selection tools, the Quick Selection Tool and the Selection Brush. It sounds like you have the selection brush. Look down in the Tool Options. The Selection brush icon looks like a brush (points down), the magic wand points up but has a starburst on it, and the quick selection tool, the one you want, looks like a up pointing wand with a dotted circle around the tip.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to cjdouglas123

Can you post a screenshot showing the tool options area?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 4:17 PM   in reply to cjdouglas123

Sorry, I should have mentioned that you can't email attachments. You will need to come to the forum webpage and use the camera icon above the message composition area to post it so that it will show.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to cjdouglas123

Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 7.26.43 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Not sure it works from a phone, though. There are a lot of things here that don't work from mobile devices, like editing a post after posting it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to cjdouglas123

It looks like you've got a one pixel brush size. Try moving the size slider over to the right a little. You don't need a huge brush, but a single pixel trail doesn't give it much info to work from to figure out the selection edges.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points