Skip navigation
johnnyspo08
Currently Being Moderated

Using a network-stored catalog with Mac OSX

Dec 29, 2012 1:58 PM

Tags: #mac #catalogs #network_storage

Greetings all.

I am using Photoshop Elements 11 on Mac OSX Mountain Lion and want to store my catalog on a local network drive (FreeNAS).  I have encountered many problems while attempting to do this.  Then I noticed in the Elements Organizer help, under the section "Repair a catalog", the following: "Note:  (Mac OS) You cannot access catalogs present on a network drive."

Is this true. or has someone found a workaround to the problem?

Thanks!

--John

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to johnnyspo08

Yes, this is true, unfortunately. You can store a catalog and images on a removable drive, but not a network drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Hi Barbara,

may I please ask an additional question and excuse any stupidity because I am a newbie:

Now even though you cannot store a catalogue on an network drive it is obviously possible to store the photos themselves on the network. Having done so, I have then been forced to move the files to a different folder. The Organizer has then lost contact to the files. However when I try to reconnect the photos the system just says that the photos are to be found on an external drive and prompts me to reconnect the external drive. Is there a way to tell the organizer that the files are now in a different folder on the network ?

In addition to that: Have you ever come across problems with the access rights for the photos on the network drive ? I have been unable to delete files on the network drive after I had added these to the Organizer catalogue. MAC OS X (10.6.8) did not let me write or delete files no matter what I tried.

Thanks for any help.

Andibuch

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 2:35 PM   in reply to Andibuch

Well, yes, these are part of the "no network drive" thing.

As for moving the photos, did you use organizer to move them? You will always have trouble if you move photos outside of organizer, even on the same drive--you have to let it manage your photos or it doesn't have a clue as to what happened.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Thanks, for that ( I assume we have to carry on in English due to forum policy even though we are both of German tongue I assume)

You mean the access problems are part of the "no network drive" thing? I suspected that. Took me a whole day in front of my computer to realign the mess.  So should one better not use the network drives at all? Quite a pity in times where everybody seems to use network storage.

No, I did not use organizer to use the photos. So there is no way to reconnect them? Should I delete the catalogue and start with the photos from scratch?

Regards

Andibuch

Am 02.01.2013 um 23:35 schrieb Barbara B.:

Re: Using a network-stored catalog with Mac OSX

created by Barbara B. in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion

Well, yes, these are part of the "no network drive" thing.

As for moving the photos, did you use organizer to move them? You will always have trouble if you move photos outside of organizer, even on the same drive--you have to let it manage your photos or it doesn't have a clue as to what happened.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4963270#4963270

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: Using a network-stored catalog with Mac OSX

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: Using a network-stored catalog with Mac OSX. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Elements by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points