Skip navigation
RobertGall
Currently Being Moderated

.jpeg changes in PSE11?

Dec 29, 2012 2:02 PM

I have used Elements since version 7 to scan CD covers which I embed in files which I create in .mp3 format using Easy CD DA Extractor for many years. These files are then played back using Winamp with a plugin that displays the embedded album art.

Since updating to PSE 11 from 10, the embedded art (which is there, and visible within Windows 7) will no longer display in the Winamp plugin (this plugin has not been changed or updated for several years). I have confirmed that it is the file format that must have changed by saving the exact same artwork (.jpg) on an older system that I have running PSE 8, and re-embedding the image (no other changes to the .mp3 were made). I am saving the file using the exact same options from the save as dialog on both PSE 8 as on PSE 11.

Has the format/header/defaults for saving a .jpeg file in PSE11 changed? And if so is there a setting somewhere that would alter the behavior to be like previous versions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to RobertGall

Hi,

I don't know for sure whether this could affect your problem but back in PSE 10, Adobe made a change to EXIF data in jpg output which caused various other programs to have problems.

At the time, there were long discussions on whether what Adobe introduced was within the EXIF definition or not. In the end, the other applications had to change (Canon's Zoombrowser was one of them).

If the software you use doesn't parse the EXIF data correctly, perhaps this could cause your problem.

As I said, I'm really guessing here - hope you find the answer.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 11:31 PM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

If Brian is right, you might try to 'Save for web' instead of 'Save as' because that strips the exif data from the jpeg file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to RobertGall

Another thing that should make no difference, but sometimes does: I've heard from a few people that removing older versions can fix this behavior. It doesn't make any sense to me that it should affect anything, but just putting it out there for whatever it's worth.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 3:56 AM   in reply to RobertGall

Hi,

Ok, I'm sorry but I missed the bit about using PSE 10 in your original posting - so my previous comments aren't relevant to your problem.

The replies from Michel (#2) and Barbara (#3) may give you an answer - have you tried them?

I don't know of any other setting (other than the preference you have tried) that can be turned off.

If the EXIF data is within spec, then there may be an updated Winamp plugin - but you've probably checked that.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to RobertGall

Under the preferences menu in PSE11 'Saving Files', 'File Compatibility' checking the option to 'Ignore Camera Data (EXIF) profiles' does not change this curious output.

In real terms that just means ignoring any non-standard color profile info in the EXIF data. AFAIK, the behavior called by turning on that checkbox has not changed in many versions of PSE.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to RobertGall

Hi,

You are of course welcome to stick on version 10 but that may limit your options in the future as, if there is a bug there, Adobe will not fix it if they aren't told about.

If you want to report a bug, the best way is through the feedback system - it can be a pain working the system but that is the main tool that we, as users, have to let Adobe Know.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

I suspect that if the Winamp plugin is old, there maybe a need to report back through the Winamp community to see if they can help or perhaps get the plugin updated.

Have you tried other tests like use the (free) application Irfanview to load the scanner output and then saved again, does that cause a problem?

Testing with other software could strengthen your argument for a PSE fix or a Winamp plugin fix.

Good Luck

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 8:40 AM   in reply to RobertGall

Hi Robert,

Although PSE10 and PSE11 will work alongside each other, you need to be careful if you use the organizer - they use different catalog.

I have done a little bit of testing and there does seem to be a difference between PSE11 JPGs and previous versions in that they use a different carriage return - it could be this that is messing things up for you.

I tried reading the PSE11 output in two other programs and they didn't object - so I think that it must be within the JPG spec. I can find no way to change it in PSE11 and I doubt very much whether Adobe would treat it as a bug - but you could try.

I did load the PSE11 output into IrfanView and just saved it again and it seemed to revert back to the old format.

Brian

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points