Skip navigation
archinerdapparel
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know how to create a graffiti style digital stencil?

Dec 29, 2012 3:22 PM

Tags: #mask #art #path #compound #street #clipping #stencil #graffiti

I am somewhat new to Illustrator, and I am attempting to create a street art style stencil graphic to put on a t-shirt using Illustrator (note, not an actual stencil for spray painting, just the visual effect of one).  I was able to make something similar in photoshop, but pixelation issues lead me to attempt a vector style graphic.  The overlying "stencil" image is a complex vector object and the underlying "paint" layer is a series of semi-transparent paint splatter vector groups to get a more textured effect.  I am doing it this way because, I have not been able to find any graffiti style brushes that work the same way as those in photoshop.  The problem I am having is that when I attempt to make a clipping mask of these objects to be left with just the desired "paint" areas, there is a message about the complexity of this operation, and the result is total disappearance of all the objects, except for their paths. 

Does anyone know what's going on and how to resolve this issue, or perhaps a better way to get a vector graffiti stencil effect with texture?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 4:15 PM   in reply to archinerdapparel

...I am attempting to create a street art style stencil graphic...

Post an example of what exactly you consider "street art stencil graphic."

...to put on a t-shirt...

To put on a T-shirt how? Screen printing? Heat Transfer? Cutout transfer?

I was able to make something similar in photoshop, but pixelation issues lead me to attempt a vector style graphic.

Why? You're going to make the image one size to fit the shirt. What makes you think it has to be vector paths? What "pixelation issues" are you having?

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points