Skip navigation
susquehanna1
Currently Being Moderated

Network drives

Dec 29, 2012 7:56 PM

Tags: #file #photoshop_elements_9

I have a catolog with over 32,000 photos in about 2,000 folders all stored on a network share.  Recently I upgraded to a larger capacity NAS unit and had to rename the share on which the photos are located.  All of the folders in which the photos are stored are the same as before.  My problem is that when I open the catalog in PSE, each photo is shown as OFFLINE! How can I update the catalog so that it points to the new network share without having to reconnect each individual photo?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 11:16 PM   in reply to susquehanna1

See those faqs:

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Move_y our_photos

The principle of a catalog is to record the location of media files into a database. You store a link. That link has two parts : the drive (recognized by its serial number and letter) and the full path from the root of that drive ( C:/My own pictures/...)

So, when you move your pictures to another drive, be it a network or an internal/external one, the link is broken.

There is no easy way to update the database when there is such a change. That's why the recommended solution is to do a full backup of your files on an external media, and restore it where you want, including on another drive.

Reconnecting is another possibility (in the file menu), it has been improved in PSE11, but with a large catalog like yours, I would prefer the much safer and simpler backup/restore method.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 10, 2013 11:38 PM   in reply to susquehanna1

Glad you have found the smart solution !

I have bookmarked that thread.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points