Skip navigation
ThirdeyeDynamo
Currently Being Moderated

Hunting down incomplete Path in a layer...???

Dec 29, 2012 6:05 PM

I am currently tracing a piece of my artwork in CS3 and have multiple little pen tool objects that some of which are not complete paths. Consequently, I am not able to perform a compound path out of the two layers I have created and receive the message "Can't make a compound path. All objects in the compund path must be paths..... Is there a too in Illustrated that can hunt down incomplete paths in a layer?? Thank You!! Brian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2012 7:46 PM   in reply to ThirdeyeDynamo

I'm assuming by "incomplete path" you mean the path is not closed.

If you select all, and temporarily apply a  fill and stroke to each/all ; any shapes that are not filled and do not have the stroke completely around the fill, are not closed paths....visually see which do not meet your fill/stroke colors; those are incomplete/open paths.  Select those and fix them.

If unsure, make a test layer with closed and open paths and see/test the above method.

If you have many many paths, this may be too tedious.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 9:08 PM   in reply to ThirdeyeDynamo

A path need not be closed to be part of a compound path. Something you have selected is not a path, such as a symbol or a raster image.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 9:31 PM   in reply to ThirdeyeDynamo

Go get Rick Johnson's (http://rj-graffix.com) Select plugin. It will give you a list of Object types which can be selected much larger than the stock installation.

Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 1.29.49 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points