Skip navigation
Kirkman1414
Currently Being Moderated

Why are my grids off by single-digit thousandths?

Dec 29, 2012 8:00 PM

Tags: #windows_7 #create #columns #indesign_cs5 #grids #guides #gridlines #margins #measurements #gutters

My coworkers and I have been befuddled by something strange since we switched to CS5 and a new content management system.

Grids we create on seemingly-simple pages end up being off by thousandsths of an inch. For example:

Our pages are 66p0 x 23.5in. Margins are set at 0.75in top and bottom, and 3p4 inside and outside.

This means the dimensions of the working space on the page are 59p4 x 22in.

Because of the way our ad software works, standard columns have to be set at 6 columns with p8 gutters. We make these columns white, so they look invisible on the page.

On an open page without ads, we typically design on a four- or five-column grid. We use the Layout > Create Guides option to make the grid, on a separate locked layer.

If I make a four column grid, the first grid line (left edge of the working space) is at 0p0.004.

The next grid line (right side of col 1) is 11p0.804.

It's like this across the page. The rightmost grid line (right edge of working space) is at 59p4.004.

WHY? It's driving us crazy, yet we can't see any reason why this should be.

For what it's worth, we're working in a Windows 7 environment. Key units/increments prteferences are:

origin: page

horizontal: picas

verical: inches

points/inch: PostScript (72pts/inch)

Replies
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Dec 29, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to Kirkman1414

I don't see this behavior with CS5 under OSX 10.7.4.

Are you running 7.0.4.553? (Hold down Control and select About InDesign)

Have you tried FAQ: How do I reset or "trash" preferences?

I assume your zero point is set to the left margin, i.e. 3p4 relative to the spine?

You haven't mentioned either your desired column width or your gutter size for the 4C grid, so it's a bit tough to be certain of what you wanted. I assume you wanted a 4-column grid with 5p gutters, so your first grid line should be at 11p1 (relative to the left margin)? Because that's what I get.

And the far left and far right guides are right at 0p0 and 59p4.

InDesign internally uses points for its calculations (and floating-point decimal fractions thereof), but your problems sound like round-off errors. Yet they are far too large to be round-off errors...

Have you tried recreating your document from scratch?

On another machine?

As a last resort, you can export to IDML, unzip the file, and look at the actual coordinates of the margins and guides (this will be a pain).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to Kirkman1414

I recall a rounding error bug back around CS4 or CS5, but I don't recall if it affected windows. My memeory is that it incorrectly displayed digits in the thousandths place in the panels, but that the dimensions were actually correct. Are you using points or inches as your ruler units?

And by all  means, make sure you patch to 7.0.4 as John suggested.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

That was CS2 running on Intel Macs under rosetta.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

OK. I bet when you get as old as me your memory will be full of holes, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I thought I was as old you.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Not unless you're deciding if it's better to take your social security at 65 or wait to 70.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

No, but I am deciding on an early pension.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Dec 30, 2012 6:10 PM   in reply to Kirkman1414

Ah, you had said a 4-column grid, but you meant a 5-column grid. Gotcha.

Please try recreating from scratch. It's essentially what you've asked the rest of us to do (and what I did), so you should take the time to do it as well.

7.0.4 (and 7.0.3) fixed innumerable issues, not all of them in the ChangeLog. The benefit is huge, you should push for it. What version are you using, then? 7.0.0? You did not specify.

If I change the guide grid to 5 columns, things are fine.

Oh yes, originally you said:

Because of the way our ad software works, standard columns have to be set at 6 columns with p8 gutters. We make these columns white, so they look invisible on the page.

What do you mean by making the columns white? Do you mean you set the column guide color to be white instead of maroon? Or something else?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 1:36 AM   in reply to Kirkman1414

So you are using a template made in a previous version that you're opeing directly in CS5? In theory this shoud work, but there are enough reported problems withthis workflow that I HIGHLY recommend you recreate the template, or at the very least export it to .inx from the original version and resave that file as a new template in CS5.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points