Skip navigation
jackaroe222
Currently Being Moderated

Internet photos are dark and murky

Dec 29, 2012 9:49 PM

I'm using CS6 with Windows 8.  I use Convert to Profile Working RGB-sRGB, which I've used in all previous versions of PS.  But when I publish the photos on-line they come out dark and murky.  I've tried this on different computers to different websites, with the same results.  I've never had this issue with prior PS versions.   I've tried Save for Web, I've tried just Save As, but always with the same poor results.   Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 2:14 AM   in reply to jackaroe222

Well, are you actually working in a color managed environment?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 3:03 AM   in reply to jackaroe222

Try reinstalling your application. I had this issue before. Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 5:15 AM   in reply to jackaroe222

I use Convert to Profile Working RGB-sRGB,

What is the RGB Working Space?

Do the images originally have no profile embedded?

Could you please post a screenshot to illustrate the issue?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to jackaroe222

You cannot achieve proper color-management by just randomly trying stuff.  Nor is there one set of configuration settings that just works for everyone, and there are settings you almost certainly don't know about (such as your monitor color profile as maintained by the operating system). 

All the settings are there for good reasons.

You really do need to strive to understand exactly what you're doing.  Get your head around color-management so you can make intelligent choices and achieve repeatable results on your own system.  This will involve reading and more reading, some experimentation to see how things work for yourself, and probably some discussions with experts.  Before you're done you're going to want to give up and reach for a simple answer.  Try not to be tempted to do that, even though there will be people who will say "do this, and don't think about it".

Consider dropping the assumption that you ever had it right.  You may have been lucky to find a workflow and settings that gave you somewhat acceptable results, but that may not be repeatable if you have a different monitor or something else has changed.

Understand that not every application is properly color-managed, so images on your very own system may not be consistently displayed from one application to the next, and even if you DO get everything straight showing images on the web is a bit of a hit or miss proposition because the folks viewing them won't have proper color-management setups.

Finally, experience has shown that trying to learn color-management on a web forum is nearly impossible, though well-meaning folks that have (some of) it figured out will try to help.  Tempers will often flare.  It takes a lot of specific effort to try to understand and embrace the concepts before things start to click, but don't worry; it all makes sense once you get it and it's an understanding you will be able to use to your advantage for the rest of your life.

Best of luck.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to jackaroe222

in theory, bugs and defective profiles aside

if Photoshop is applying the correct source profile (via use embedded profile or assign profile) then Photoshop is displaying properly through the 'calibrated' monitor profile (through a source> monitor profile conversion)

if your other apps don't "match" Photoshop then they are not applying the correct source profile and/or they are not converting to the monitor profile

Photoshop "soft proofing" View> Proof Setup: Monitor RGB and View> Proof Setup: Internet Standard sRGB may offer you a clue to what's going on in your problem apps...

try ASSIGN CONVERT TUTORIAL (five easy steps to profile enlightenment)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points