Skip navigation
4siteplan43
Currently Being Moderated

Why is running Elements 8 slower on Windows 7 than XP?

Dec 30, 2012 12:05 AM

Tags: #windows_7 #windows_xp #premiere_elements_8.0

I am afraid this is query is a bit long, but I have tried to provide all the

info I can ....

THE PROBLEM

My old PC died, so I bought a new PC to improve my video processing speed, and also move off Windows XP.

- I installed the same copy of Adobe Premiere Elements 8 on both PCs.

- I applied no updates (on either machine) as the original versions works fine (on XP - why fix something that isn't broken)

- I changed the preferences to stop background rendering (due to data volumes -

same on old PC).

- I then copied the project file (.prel) from the old PC to the new.

Having set up the new PC, I carried out a benchmark test in Premiere Elements 8.0 converting the same 4-hour long HD file from M2TS to MPG on both PCs.

It was 4 times slower on the new PC !!!!

I then tried out another video conversion program (to demux MPG files so that they can be edited in Premiere) and that was 30% faster on the new PC.

In the Premier test the original file was on a 6GB/s 3TB disk drive with the output file on a 6GB/s 2TB drive (which also has the Windows system and Adobe cache files).

-  Both processes ran identically without errors.  In fact the output files were almost identical (one was 12 685 358 KB, the other 12 658 402 KB). I ran MediaInfo on both output files and it summarised them as identical in terms of codecs, size, etc, etc.

- On the old PC, CPU utilisation is usually around 90%, on the new one it is closer to 50%.

- Disk and memory utilisation are not limiting factors.

Can anyone help me finding out why the new PC is so much slower than the old?

SPECIFICATIONS

OLD PC

ASUS P8Z68-V

INTEL CORE I5 2500K 3.30GHZ

2 x KINGSTON 4096MB DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 1GB

1 x 2 TB disks with 4k sectors

4 x 3 TB disks with 4k sectors (each with 2 partitions)

Windows XP Pro SP3

NEW PC

ASUS P8H77V

INTEL I7 3770 3.4GHZ

2 x KINGSTON 4096MB DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1GB

1 x 2 TB disks with 4k sectors

4 x 3 TB disks with 64k sectors

Windows 7 Pro

BACKGROUND

I have a very specific use of Premiere (for research purposes):

- I have 2 HD video Sony XDR160E camcorders monitoring bird nests 13 hours per day.

- Each camera generates 160 GB data per day on its internal HD.

- File sizes range from 20 GB (smallest) to 160 GB.

- I download the files from the camera to disk using the cameras download facility.

It is then that I use Premiere.

- I open a project that has the exact specs of the camera's output.

- I open the M2TS file in Premiere, drag it onto the sceneline.

- I do not view the file but immediately share it using a preset that matches the requirements of my MVIX PVR.

This bit is not relevant to the problem per se, but provides background info:

- I then copy the file onto the PVR decoder.

- I view the file through an MVIX PVR which allows viewing at 32x speed with minimal data loss.

- I will then identify activity periods (which may be only 5 minutes per day).

- I use the camera's editor to extract the relevant clips keeping all the camera metadata intact.

- After that I may use Premiere again to create illustrative montages.

CONCLUSION

Does anyone have a clue as to why I am having this problem? (it is not an error per se)

- The obvious differences are the operating system, the graphics card and the disk allocation unit size

- It may well NOT be a Premiere issue, it may be Windows 7 Pro that is causing the problem.

- I assume that the graphics card is irrelevant as I never actually view the video in Premiere (in this scenario)

- Could it be that Adobe cannot handle the 64k disk allocation size?

- Is there some special setting in Windows 7 that I need to enable that wasn't required in Windows XP?

- Is there some special setting in Adobe that I need to enable when running in a 64-bit environment?

Or is there something else I am missing?

Any help would be really appreciated - it could take weeks to try out all the various combinations to identify the problem.

Giles

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to 4siteplan43

Have you got your drives partitioned? That might be counter productive.

But the simplest answer is that version 8 was optimized for XP. Windows 7 wasn't around yet. (Additionally, version 8 is one of the buggier versions Adobe released.) In fact, even upgrading to version 9 (also not a favorite) you'd see  a big improvement in performance. Version 11, though, is where Adobe really got all the bugs out and created a piece that is much snappier than any of the previous versions. If you're working with hi-def or, moreso, AVCHD, moving up to version 11 is highly recommended.

But if you insist on keeping version 8, make sure you go to the Help menu and Check for Updates. Adobe did release patches that fixed a number of 8's sluggishness.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points