Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Recommendations for Colour Management Books

Dec 30, 2012 6:58 AM

I have been avoiding this topic for years but can no longer do so now that I am determined to print out my work. I have had a series of disasters and I know it is the result of ignorance in this area. Can anyone recommend a decent book on digital colour management (ie. how to try to get original image from a to z (monitor, PS manipulaton and off to printer) and end up with something at least recognizable (laughing. Yes, disasters!) I would appreciate something geared for those who know nothing whatsoever ie. the most basic possible. I find this topic extremely difficult to grasp but am prepared to put in whatever time it takes to try to at least have a clue and I think a text book (rather than web links) would be helpful. Any recommendations much appreciated. Santa left a few dollars under the tree and I will use them to educate myself.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to KimberlyGabriel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to KimberlyGabriel

You don't need to understand colour management to use it correctly no more than you need to understand the innards of a computer or a car to use or drive. All you really need is to know how to do it in practice.

I think Ian Lyons web tutorials are excellent, very well laid out and giving exact instructions on what to do without an overload of theory, which is actually pretty complex in this case. It was enough for me to learn how to make a decent print with an inkjet printer with Photoshop 6 some years ago now.

So although you said you don't want web links, maybe have a look at the following tutorial, as it should give you everything you need to make a good  print. You've not mentioned which version of PS you are using so if you are not using CS6, look around the site as there are tutorials on earlier versions.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps13_colour/ps13_1.htm

If you still want a book, then Martin Evening's Photoshop books tend to cover most of what most people need to know about colour managment to practically use it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to KimberlyGabriel

Well if you mark other answers as helpful,at least others who have correctly answered get 5 points.

I don't know if there are professionals in your area willing to custom calibrate your system,but depending on rates and if you earn a living from your prints,it might be a viable option.

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to KimberlyGabriel

my Fav books:

Real World Scanning Halftones

Real World Camera Raw

Real World Color Management

look for newer books (RealWorld Scanning may be the most recent tho it's older publication it is still relevant)...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to gator soup

Nice if those get updated.  I hope there are plans to offer Kindle versions or other e-pub formats.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to gener7

gener7, ya, I know RW Camera Raw and RW Color Management have been updated (can't recall if Jeff Schewe authored both, I think so), two great reference books...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 12:53 AM   in reply to gator soup

The Real World series seems to have stopped at CS5. Nothing newer shows on Amazon. It is a brilliant series of books for sure.

However, Jeff Schewe has authored a new book on the lines of the Camera Raw books called The Digital Negative. Excellent book as usual, pretty much rewritten. I bought it to bring myself up to scratch with ACR 7 and ended up buying Lightroom as a result.

Interestingly, according to Amazon, Jeff has a new book coming out in April 2013 called The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Photoshop and Lightroom. This would very likely be just what the OP is looking for.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 12:57 AM   in reply to KimberlyGabriel

KimberlyGabriel wrote:

Sorry, Clint, didn't know how to mark you as "correct" too.

No worries. I'm not gathering points. I just returned to the Adobe Forums recently after my Mac caught the PSCS6 has suddenly become a trial edition of PSCS6 Extended bug and have been keeping an eye on developments.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points