Skip navigation
jahmanwife@hotmail.com
Currently Being Moderated

Type is poor quality

Dec 30, 2012 7:50 AM

I've been using Adobe PS CS4 for some time now without any problems.  The type on a new design is very poor all of a sudden.  Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot or fix this?  Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

"Very poor" could mean numerous possible things to each reader. Please post a screenshot and explain what aspect of the type is poor in your opinion.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

The small type is suffering from the 72 ppi resolution of the image. It's not possible to look much clearer when so few pixels are available to each letter. Increasing the size by a point might make a reasonable improvement. Most of the captions appear to have a definite drop shadow. The ones which clearly don't have a shadow are #3948, #3932, #3958.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to conroy

Here's your image with an alternative font that's slightly clearer, in my opinion. Note that Ps CS6 uses gamma 1.45 for type blending by default (and used in this example), which affects the anti-aliasing. I'm not familiar with CS4.

Screen-shot-2012-12-30-at-19.17.04.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

Note that the resolution value (ppi) is of no consequence when an image is displayed on the Web. Anyway, the type is significantly more legible in your new image. Best of luck to you and the animals!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to jahmanwife@hotmail.com

Gamma correction for type blending was added in CS6, and is not available in CS4.

(aka: the type is clearer in CS6)

But your major problem is using small type and a font that is not readable at that small size.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points