Skip navigation
nilesthespinach
Currently Being Moderated

How can I add frames to everything?

Dec 30, 2012 12:08 PM

Tags: #animation #cs6 #flash_cs6

I just started using Flash and I'm messing around with trying to make animations and add audio. I'm at a spot where some of the audio I'm using goes too long and cuts into other parts that I don't want it in. So I tried adding frames to one layer and all of the layers to try making it work out, but everything just ends up smooshed together. So is there a way I can increase the time one layer is on the screen and push all of the other layers down the same amount of frames? Is it something easy I just didn't think about?

Sorry if this question is kind of confusing, I don't know if I have the grasp of the terminology yet to properly explain what I mean.

Thanks a lot!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to nilesthespinach

In what way are you trying to add the frames.  You can select a section of the timeline (all layers if desired) then right click the selection and choose Insert Frames... I can't tell if that is what you've already tried.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to nilesthespinach

Here's the good news... you're trying things, which is the best way to discover how things work (and how they don't work).  Don't be afraid to... if you fear you might ruin progress so far, save a copy of the file you can revert to. 

As far as inserting frames, you probably don't want to be adding keyframes if the intention is to extend existing stuff along the timeline or to add time into the middle somewhere.  Just use Insert Frame from the right click menu.  Using that will insert as many frames as you have selected.

And it is always possible that I am misreading what you are trying to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to nilesthespinach

You should be able to select all the layers in the area where the first face is (which will include layers for the second face that is somewhere down the timeline) and insert frames all at once.  If there is a section where you can select a number of frames between keyframes, that is where you want to operate.  You shouldn't include keyframes in the middle of the selection.

Another way you could consider doing this is to make each face a self-contained movieclip so that on the timeline where the sound is you only have the one frame/layer for that face that you need to deal with.

You should be able to copy the frames/layers for the first face into a movieclip fairly easily, and the same for the second.  Once you have the frames copied, choose Insert -> new symbol -> Movieclip -> OK (or something like that), and when it opens the movieclip for editing, just select the first frame on its only layer, right click it and choose Paste Frames.  That will plant all of the frames and layers you copied into the movieclip timeline.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points