Skip navigation
Jeff-n-Kabul
Currently Being Moderated

The ruler disappeared

Dec 30, 2012 11:12 AM

Tags: #photoshop_elements_11

Hello,

I am running PSE 11 on a Macbook pro with OS lion 10.7.5.

I started with PSE 11 a few days ago and things were fine.  Now a file I have been working on has problems.  I can cut, but can't paste (only paste into selection), also I can turn on the grid, but not the ruler.  It does not happen with new files I open, but it has with some that I have already worked on.  I was saving my work as PSEs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

J

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Jeff-n-Kabul

When PSE gets weird, the first thing is to delete the preferences. Go to the editor's preferences>general, click this button and restart the editor:

prefs reset.gif

Then try View>Rulers again.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 9:04 PM   in reply to Jeff-n-Kabul

No, it should not. It would seem to be something awry with those particular files. Can you post a screenshot of the layers panel for one of them?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to Jeff-n-Kabul

Try it without an active selection. Is it still unavailable?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to Jeff-n-Kabul

Barbara,

Jeff appears to be in a create mode, like Greetings card, the rulers seem to be disabled in this mode - is that normal?

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

Good catch, Brian. Yes. Jeff, click the expert mode button for things like the rulers to become available.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Jeff-n-Kabul

Jeff,

You said that you had saved your work as PSEs files - my understanding is that these files are project files and contain pointers and information about images and do not actually contain an image themselves. If you open a PSEs file you can continue to work on the project with the limited tools for that project.

The main purpose of the project is usually to print out a collage or similar and so the output is usually to a printer.

If you are trying to merge parts of one image into another to form a new image, there are ways to do it.

Sorry if you know all this, but if you let us know what you are trying to do, someone like Barbara will be able to point you in the right direction.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to Jeff-n-Kabul

You must click Done at the bottom of the create window to get out of create mode.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points