Skip navigation
christen lowe
Currently Being Moderated

i recently reinstalled cs2 and now i cannot open raw files.  how can i get them to open?

Dec 30, 2012 11:57 AM

Tags: #help!!!

i cannot open raw files anymore

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to christen lowe

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General discussion forum.  You may also want to consider posting an inquiry in the Adobe Camera RAW forum at http://forums.adobe.com/community/cameraraw.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to christen lowe

What operating system are you using?

If you can't open the camera raw files you could before reinstalling, you probaly need to update to camera raw 3.7

Also update photoshop cs2 to 9.02.

windows updates:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform =Windows

mac:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform =Macintosh

Do you get any kind of message when trying to open them?

What camera are the files from?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 2:28 AM   in reply to christen lowe

This may simply be a compatibility issue with CS2 and Win 8 and may be unfixable.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 2:59 AM   in reply to christen lowe

You shouldn't need the dng converter for the nikon d80 as camera raw 3.7 should open them.

In photoshop cs2 if you go to Help>About Plug-In>Camera Raw, what is the version?

Also, you need to unzip the camera raw 3.7 update and then copy the Camera Raw.8bi to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats  on a 64 bit windows 8 system

or

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats  on a 32 bit windows 8 system

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 12:22 AM   in reply to christen lowe

When in photoshop cs2, if you go to File>Open and pick one of your d80 images, do you get any kind of message when you try to open the file?

Did you by chance try in Bridge by right clicking a thumbnail of one your d80 files and choosing Open in Camera Raw?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to christen lowe

Did you, by chance, also install Nikon Capture, or any other Nikon utility?

I am going from memory here, but IIRC, the Nikon utilities write their own .8bi files to two locations (back in CS and CS 2), and those got in the way of the ACR .8bi files. I had to replace the Nikon versions with the ACR versions, and in two folders. That was on XP, so am not sure how/where Win8 might do things.

Just a thought, and if you did not install any Nikon utility, then just ignore the above.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to christen lowe

Most raw problems are one of two things.  Either you have the ACR file in wrong folder, or you have more than one file in the folder.  The folder is as R_Kelly described.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points