Skip navigation
AdventureLi
Currently Being Moderated

Dependent Files inside of Server Side Include files (.inc) not Put to Testing or Remote Server

Dec 30, 2012 2:10 PM

Tags: #cs5 #dreamweaver #includes #server-side #dependent #inc

I am currently working in CS5. When I preview the page and select that all depedent files be uploaded to the server the page does not display as expected.

From what I can tell, It appears that  files references within ".inc" files are not recognized and as a result are not PUT to the testing or remote server.  If I copy and paste the contents of the ".inc" file into the main page (removing the include file reference), the page renders correctly and the referenced files are uploaded. 

Example:

If the following is NOT in a ".inc" file, Dreaweaver, sees the referenced image file ("/images/RequestInfo.gif") and uploads as a dependent file to the testing and/or production servers.owever,

If, however, the following code IS contained within an include file, the image file ("/images/RequestInfo.gif") is not recognized as a dependent file and as such it is neither loaded to the testing server NOR does the page render correctly. The include file is referenced from the main page (index.php) as follows:  <?php include 'main_left.inc'; ?>

Find a camp  

For reference,

File structure:

images/RequestInfo.gif

index.php ---- contains <?php include 'main_left.inc'; ?>

main_left.inc  ---- contains code above referencing the image

Does anyone have anyideas or suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to AdventureLi

From what I can tell, It appears that  files references within ".inc" files are not recognized and as a result are not PUT to the testing or remote server.  If I copy and paste the contents of the ".inc" file into the main page (removing the include file reference), the page renders correctly and the referenced files are uploaded.

That's correct.

Dreamweaver will recognize dependent files as those referenced in the HTML code e.g. images, external stylsheets.

It will not recognize files referenced by includes since they're usually processed by a server-side script then called by the server.

How is this impacting on your workflow?

In DW's Files panel, can you use the Edit > Select Newer Local or Edit > Select Recently Modified commands instead?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to AdventureLi

For organizational reasons, I keep my local site files inside my testing server folder.  When I save a file, it's immediately saved on the testing server.   Once less obtacle. 

When I'm ready to go live, I simply transfer all the contents from my testing server to my remote server.

HTH,

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to AdventureLi

what is the purpose of having separate descriptions in Site manager for Local and Testing?

Because a local testing server is optional.  Static site developers don't need one. Some dynamic site developers don't need one either, particularly if they test on the remote server (which I sometimes do).

Have you considered using a utility to clean your site of unused files?

http://alt-web.com/Articles/Remove-unused-site-files.shtml

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points