Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

History in Camera Raw ?

Dec 30, 2012 6:53 PM

Tags: #raw #camera #brush #history

Is there a history brush in Camera Raw ?   I am using CS6 

In photoshop there is a history brush...but don't see one in Camera Raw.

How do I go back? 

Thanks, Penni

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to pennipeter

No History Brush...but it has unlimited (well, at least several hundred) undo while the image is open in ACR. Once you close an image, undo is lost. You can use Snapshots to store various states of an image adjustment series of steps–really useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to pennipeter

You can delete your edits in Camera Raw with the Developed Settings in Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to pennipeter

Undo, Redo, Step Backward and Step Forward through camera raw edits use the same keys as in Photoshop: 

Ctrl + Z toggles undo-redo of last edit (second Ctrl + Z performs redo)

Step backward:  Alt + Ctrl + Z

Step forward:  Shift + Ctrl + Z.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to Robert Shomler

Occasionally, I'll see that I've gone too far but some of what I did was valid. So I make a copy of the file and set it back to defaults to have a reference.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

So I make a copy of the file and set it back to defaults to have a reference.

That's what Snapshots were designed to offer. No need to copy the file, simpy take a snapshot and then you can reset and modify the image...you can also take a new snapshot and toggle between versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 10:07 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

When I first investigated Snapshot, I noticed that the Snapshot also appeared in Presets, which I already use, so it seemed redundant. Checking again and building additional snapshots, only the first one showed in Presets, the second one did not.

Is that correct behavior?

The nice thing about presets is that the collection of adjustments are available to any image. Not so with snapshots unless you include the image with the snapshot data in the filmstrip in ACR.

I'm asking to be sure I understand the operation and it is running as intended.

Thanks and I see it's already 2013 in Chicago!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 10:24 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

I'm asking to be sure I understand the operation and it is running as intended.

Snapshots have nothing to do with Presets...Presets are NOT stored with the individual file, Snapshots are. Not sure why you found snapshots showing up as presets, they shouldn't. The only thing I can think is you may have recorded a snapshot and also a preset using the same name. A snapshot will not show up in any presets...snapshots are really, really useful if you get your head around them and learn how to make them and also how to update them (if you make a change after a snapshot has been made).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 12:11 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

I did a new one and the snapshot did not show up in Presets, so it is like you say.

Thanks for the feedback.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points