Skip navigation
Tanya Love
Currently Being Moderated

How to transfer ps - brushes/fonts/patterns etc

Dec 30, 2012 7:31 PM

Tags: #photoshop #cs5 #fonts #mac #transfer #shapes #plug-ins #brushes #patterns

Hi

My mac screen got damaged so got new mbp

Have installed Photoshop 5 etc from discs

However, all my photoshop everythings, the patterns I use, the brushes I have made, actions i've downloaded, shapes, fonts, & knoll factory filter they are all still on my broken laptop

How do I transfer them????? Please.

I do have an external hd, time machine, but was gonna leave that with old mbp tho could use it tho not plugged it in to new 1, not sure on that.

Ideally would prefer to burn my things to cd from 1 & transfer. Is that possible?

I did try this with "Presets" section, I got nothing extra, but don't think I damaged anything. Have trawlled google.

Really need help, thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to Tanya Love

While the screen is broken on your old laptop,it does have a port for an external monitor. If nothing else is busted, use that to get at your Photoshop actions,filters,and so on. You can borrow a monitor,although you may need a proper adaptor. VGA/DVI/or HDMI.

I would copy all presets,patterns,etc that did not come with Photoshop into my Documents folder.

Create a folder "Photoshop Extras" and subfolders for Brushes, Patterns, and other items in your Documents folder. I think it would make for a great way to organize.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2012 8:53 PM   in reply to Tanya Love

Go to your Applications folder, look inside your Photoshop folder and you should see your Presets and other folders.

If you can get that external monitor, you can plug that in for a look at your desktop. You won't have to deal with the laptop screen but if you can move stuff with that big band down the middle,it might work.

And yes, In your documents folder create a Photoshop extras folder and organize your third party plug-ins and so on by subfolder category.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to Tanya Love

Well, I may have a MacBook on the way, but my machines are Windows 7 based. So I am not familiar with how exactly to transfer stuff using their file system  If you do know the names of your custom filters, you can also re-download them as well. And as long as you

can clip a monitor to it, then your files are still there and you have the hope of eventually getting it all moved and/or backed up and recovering all your custom filters. Just take your time.

That's as good as I can do for now. I hope the Mac experts here can give better advice

Good Luck

Gene

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points