Skip navigation
kel_322
Currently Being Moderated

Mail Merge and margins

Dec 31, 2012 9:30 AM

Tags: #cs5.5 #mail #merge #layout #shift #margins

Hello,

I am making postcards mailers on an 11x17 landscape layout, 4 postcards per page. I am using the mail merge utility to get the addresses printed directly on postcards.

I set the margins to .4 inches all around, and I have a column gutter of .8 inches. When I do the mail merge and specify the margins, gutter, etc.  that I want, my layout is shifted.  For instance, the top of the artwork is now at .3889 inchces instead of .4.

Any ideas on how to fix this, or does anyone know what I am overlooking here?

I've included screen shots below to illustrate.

Thanks!

1.  This is the original file I have set up for the merge  (I cropped most of the page). It's difficult to see, but the top y axis is placed at .4 in.

1.JPG

2. This is the multiple record layout options page with the information I used for the merge.

Capture.JPG

3.  This is the merged document.  Again, it's hard to see, but the the top y axis has shifted to .3889. It also shifts on the other margins.

3.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 31, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to kel_322

My first inclination is to tell you to forget it and just make an adjustment on the cutter, but I know that won't, pardon the pun, cut it.

What happens if you remove the stroke on the outer shape? I suspect there's a change in alignment, though the numbers don't quite work out.

But back to forgetting about it....  This is a .0111 shift, or about .8 pt. That's well insided the amount of page-to-page shift you can expect from a laser or inkjet printer, and even probably hard to adjust for on the cutter if this is press output, which I strongly doubt since you are including more than just the variable data so I don't think you're printing on pre-made shells..

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 31, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to kel_322

I understand where you are coming from completely. It would drive me to distraction, too, and I'd spend three days trying to find out why it was happening.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)