Skip navigation
shahn7878
Currently Being Moderated

I messed up.  Can i be saved?

Dec 31, 2012 10:48 AM

Short story of my "mess up":

I did a full catalog backup on Dec. 19th.

I did more editing the next ~10days. 

Often opening and closing LR 4 w/o doing a backup, but still able to go back to where I left off.

I, unknowing of the consequence, deleted ~5 out of 10 of old catalogs (which were pushing 2gb).

I reopen LR4 and it wants to open Oct.24th catalog. (why?).

I decide to open the Dec. 19 catalog...

Now I'm seeing the photos at the state I saved them on Dec. 19th. (makes sense).

My Q:

Since LR was obviously saving my editing somewhere b/c I was able to close/reopen exactly where I left off...

Is it possible for me to get back to any of post-Dec19 state??

::fingers-crossed::

TECH INFO:

Using LR 4.3 on OS X 10.6.8

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 31, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to shahn7878

If you have any of those catalogs left that are dated prior to December 19, you can double-click on one of those catalogs and Lightroom will open it. You will be at the point you are at when you closed and backed up that catalog. Of course, any work that you did in later catalogs will not be there. You will be starting over at that point.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to shahn7878

My Q:

Since LR was obviously saving my editing somewhere b/c I was able to close/reopen exactly where I left off...

Is it possible for me to get back to any of post-Dec19 state??

If you deleted the catalog that was in use approx 10 days after Dec 19, your work after is probably gone.

You might be able to recover some of the work you did if you were saving the metadata to XMP. This is not a Lightroom default to do this, so you must have specifically turned on the global option to do so, or if you were using the menu command Metadata->Save Metadata to File.

If not, your last chance would be to find an "undelete utility" and see if it can recover you most recent catalog. If you plan to go down this path, stop everything that you are doing, the only thing you should do on your computer is find such a utility program, download it (to a different HD than your catalog, if possible), and run it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to shahn7878

Any chance the deleted catalogue is in the recycle bin (or Trash)?

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 10:43 PM   in reply to shahn7878

Have you looked at all the files in the folder with the Dec 19th catalog?  Look at the timestamp on the files, not their names.  Is there a .lrcat file more recent than the Dec 19th one?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to shahn7878

In the screen shot there is a sub-folder named  Backups, could you expand the folder to show the contents thats where your backup catalog might be. It is dated Dec 31,12.

The folder you have expanded are only preview files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 11:17 PM   in reply to shahn7878

Appears you have been working with a Catalog inside of the folder of one of your backups. There is a file there with the same name as the catalog file but with a .lock extention.

If this screen shot was taken with Lightroom closed then it is probably what is not allowing you to restart Lightroom, if this is the situation then delete the .lock file and see if you can restart Lightroom.

However I believe there is more you may need to do to restore the structure within your Lightroom sub-folder. I do not think that the present structure is correct.

Maybe Hal or dj_paige could offer some advice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to shahn7878

I, too, consider this screenshot rather promising.

As DdeGannes suggested, first delete the "Lightroom 3 Catalog-2-2.lrcat.lock", then double-click the "Lightroom 3 Catalog-2-2.lrcat" and leave it open for a while, because it still has to process what is inside the "Lightroom 3 Catalog-2-2.lrcat-journal".

This journal-file should vanish.

Then you can close LR, ideally doing now a new backup including optimization.

Then copy the new backup over to your normal working catalog storage space and continue from there.

Change the backup settings to "Every time LR exits" and choose to skip it whenever you did not do more than you would agree to loose.

Good luck,

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points