Skip navigation
Byron Spates
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign ChildrenBook epub ebook kindle book creating

Dec 31, 2012 10:59 AM

Hello I'm trying to create a childrens epub book for Kindle and I'm having probs. Bascially the images are moving around. How I have it set up the images are in the background of the text on top basic. The only option I tried to make this work was making the text and images a eps file opening up a new indesign and pasting as a image but I want the text to be readable can anybody help me please or give me some suggestions

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 31, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Byron Spates

It sounds like your images are floating--i.e., not anchored to the text. They do need to be anchored in the text frames.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to Byron Spates

Creating eBooks, that use formats such as ePub and Mobi (this is the file format for the Kindle) from InDesign is not straight forward. I suggest you get some basic training, for example:

http://www.lynda.com/EPUB-tutorials/InDesign-CS6-EPUB-Kindle-iPad/9883 4-2.html

You will usually get answers to specific issues on this forum once you get going.

Use the latest version of InDesign - CS6.

Derek

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to Byron Spates

ePub is a pretty "dumb" format. Simple and rudimentary. you need to work within its limitations. As to using background images, I have no experience on how to achieve that in any digital book format. Sorry.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 1:26 AM   in reply to MW Design

I'm not sure I'd use the adjective "dumb" for the ePub format. Surely each publishing platform has advantages and disadvantages.

For example, you might describe printed books - with no opportunity to have interactivity such as internal and external hyperlinks, video, or audio and with a fixed typeface and text size - as even dumber!

(Just a thought.)

Derek

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 4:12 AM   in reply to Byron Spates

Not sure what you are trying to do is wise in a reflowable format like epub. It is possible using CSS to include an image in the background of some text but how many devices would actually display it I wouldn't like to say. See http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_background.asp. Perhaps fixed-layout epubs would be a better bet?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2013 12:53 AM   in reply to Byron Spates

Here is a free ebook tool for you.

You can easily convert your ebook from epub to pdf,epub to mobi, epub to kindle, etc.

Free Online Converter / EPUB Converter

epub to kindle

It provides you with the best mobi to epub converting experience.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points