Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player 11.5 r502 has stopped working

Dec 31, 2012 4:13 PM

Tags: #adobe #update #not_working #flash_player_11_5_r502

When Firefox 17.01 loads any web page with flash content, or I attempt to view flash video, I get the message

--------------------------------------------------

Adobe Flash Player 11.5 r502 has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

---------------------------------------------------

Windows (Vista SP2 Bld6002) offers to close the program, and is sometimes successful, but frequently Firefox just hangs up as it tries to open video after video and fails. This was true for both FP 11.5.502.110 and 11.5.502.135. As a temporary measure I installed the "Disable Flash" extension from the Firefox add-on gallery. Very helpful in buying time while I tried to find a solution. So nice, in fact, that I'm keeping it.

I uninstalled FP (11.5.502.135.) and down-graded to 11.2.202.235, which has solved the problem in the same way the same downgrade solved a similar issue with FP11.3 last spring. As another user has commented, "this is not an ideal situation." OTOH, I've been running 11.2.202.235 on my desktop since the June downgrade without any problem, so I may just keep FP11.2 on the laptop, too.

I gather that Adobe has not fixed the issue yet, since I see FP11.5.502.135 still being offered as the current version. Here is the laptop's MSinfo summary. I can email a full msinfo if it will help you find the problem.

Firefox 17.01

Flash Player 11.5.502.110 and 11.5.502.135

Error Message:

--------------------------------------------------

Adobe Flash Player 11.5 r502 has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

---------------------------------------------------

12/31/12 21:04:54

OS Name

Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Version

6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

Other OS Description

Not Available

OS Manufacturer

Microsoft Corporation

System Name

XXXXXXXXXXX

System Manufacturer

Dell Inc.

System Model

Inspiron 1721

System Type

X86-based PC

Processor

AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58, 1900 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date

Dell Inc. A05, 11/5/2007

SMBIOS Version

Windows Directory

C:\Windows

System Directory

C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device

\Device\HarddiskVolume3

Locale

United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer

Version = "6.0.6002.18005"

User Name

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Time Zone

Pacific Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)

2.00 GB

Total Physical Memory

1.87 GB

Available Physical Memory

585 MB

Total Virtual Memory

3.99 GB

Available Virtual Memory

2.43 GB

Page File Space

2.17 GB

Page File

C:\pagefile.sys

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to BajadaAkchin

Did you get any information to solve this yet?  My computer is doing the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to BajadaAkchin

BajadaAkchin, Thank you for posting this information.  I have been having the exact same problem  using Firefox and Chrome browers and I will do as you have suggested.  Will come back to post if it solves my problem as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to BajadaAkchin

Hello, sometimes an antivirus programm (AV) can cause crashes. Try it again with AV disabled please.

Else are your drivers and DirectX up to date (very important) ?

Do you have tried to disable Flash Player Protected Mode (since 11.3) ? (that would explain why it is working with Flash Player 11.2)

Do you have tried to disable Hardware Acceleration (Flash Player or/and Firefox) ?

Do you have tried to disable all other extensions and plugins in Firefox ?

Do you have tried to use the Firefox safe mode ?

dxdiag.txt and about:crashes could be helpfull.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to BajadaAkchin

Hello, I'm in the same situation as you, I've tried everything but seems an internal error from Adobe that they need to patch.
    can you please post the link from your new thread when it be ready?

I'm having this error on Google Chrome and every time i play an HD video on my Computer, my computer crashes, I already ensure that all my drivers be up to date, so wierd.
    I'm running Windows XP 32.

I will gather more info. too for help Adobe fix this, thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jan 9, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to eomar500

@BajadaAkchin - Thanks for trying all of the steps that MrX suggested.  Given that disabling protected mode "works" and 11.2 is also fine, my guess is that you are running into a protected mode conflict.  You are correct that we don't recommend disabling protected mode as a permanent solution. 

It's odd that disabling error reporting reduces the problem.  I'll ask the team if they are aware of this connection.  Unfortunately, without the crash logs we're just taking wild guesses when applying fixes.  Even with them, it's always best if we had reproducible cases that we can step through when debugging.

I know you mentioned you tried 11.6, but we released another build yesterday that you might want to try out.

If you still encounter problems, our current recommendation is to roll back to the latest 10.3 release which contains all of the latest security updates.  You can find instructions for doing this here:

How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

Where can I find direct downloads of Flash Player 10.3 for Windows or Macintosh?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to BajadaAkchin

Hi,

I am having the same sort of issue, I have done a full unistall of flash using http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows. html

exact window says:

adobe flash player 11.5r502 has stopped working

windows is checking for a solution to the problem

cancel

I have uninstalled and reinstalled firefox 18 even deleted all my settings and started a fresh but still get a window flashing up whenever i load a adobe page or adobe flash eneabled page saying the flash player has crashed. It flashes up then disappearsa automatically any number of times i have the option to cancel but it still shows the further two times. Please can you advise how to fix this?

I have the latest version of flash 11.5 r502.

The one I installed was install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_aih.exe

I have windows 7 64 bit

Thanks,

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jan 18, 2013 1:49 PM   in reply to Ghost-Mjr

@BajadaAkchin - No security issues with disabling error reporting, we just won't get the error logs that your system generates.  I believe they are still present, just not submitted.  Here's a Mozilla doc that describes how this works.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Breakpad

@Ghost-Mjr - Have you tried temporarily disabling protected mode or crash reporting to see if that makes a difference?

How do I troubleshoot Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points