Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign won't let my Phaser 6360 manage colors

Dec 31, 2012 2:55 PM

In every other software, it will use my printer settings from my Phaser 6360 Printer. But in InDesign, I cannot figure out a way to let my Phaser printer manage my colors. 

Has anyone been succesful at doing that? I can do it in Photoshop and all my other programs, but not InDesign?

My Phaser Printer has the ability to manage each one of my colors, density and contrast, so I can match to my likings...

I've tried every combination and I can't figure out how to let InDesign let the Phaser printer manage my prints?

Thanks,

Gary

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 31, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to The Picture Dude

If you are using the Postscript driver it should be in the Color Managment section of the print dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to The Picture Dude

I think we need to hear from a user who actually owns this printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

and double check that color management is actually enabled, both through the driver and on the printer control panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 6:50 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I actually own one of those printers; I have it in my office at Adobe in San Jose!

Plain and simple – you cannot reliably print to that printer using the built-in secret sauce color management provided by Xerox. Such color management was great for pre 1998 imaging models of PostScript, but not for modern color-managed workflows that include transparency.

Our recommendations for reliable printing from InDesign to the Phaser 6360 or almost any PostScript printer:

(1)     Export PDF/X-4 from InDesign.

(2)     Print the resultant PDF file from Acrobat Pro X or XI using the default color management setting of Acrobat Color Management (i.e., disable any secret sauce color settings). Of course, you will be printing to a PostScript driver (invoking the printer's Adobe PostScript 3, not the PCL supported by the printer.

(3)     The printer itself should have its color correction setting set to none.

(4)     Make sure you set Acrobat to print with all spot colors set to print process. Don't let the printer convert spot to process. Things can get very messed up when transparency is involved.

Yes, I know this is very contrary to what Xerox may advise you to do.

By the way, if you really insist on printing directly to this device from InDesign (which I would not recommend), make sure that you print Composite CMYK, convert all spots to process via the Print Manager (of course in InDesign and Illustrator you should always use Lab alternates instead of CMYK alternates, but that is the subject of a separate lecture!), set the Color Handling to Let InDesign Determine Colors, set the Transparency Flattener to [High Resolution] (instead of the default [Medium Resolution]),  set Image Send Data to All (instead of Optimized Subsampling), and Fonts Download to Complete along with the Download PPD Fonts option checked!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 8:40 PM   in reply to The Picture Dude

InDesign lets you manage your own colors, albeit through industry standard ICC color management and profiles, but your output to a CMYK PostScript device must really be DeviceCMYK.

The real problem is that the solutions offered in PostScript RIPs and printers are well over a decade out-of-date in terms of reliable print publishing workflow color management since PostScript itself doesn't support either ICC color management or live transparency.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points