Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

About linking and navigation

Jan 1, 2013 8:05 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 1, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to Community Help

Is it possible to use Site root–relative paths on a local test server within Dreamweaver? I'm trying to use these links for include files on my local development server (IIS) and when I view the page in my web browser I get a "Include file not found".

I've done a ton of research on this and I can't seem to find a solution. I'm using Dreamweaver CS6, Windows 7 Pro, IIS, and Classic ASP. Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to ftjjr

Fortunately, site root relative links do work on remote servers. 

I found this related discussion for setting up a Virtual Host on Apache/Linux servers & I'm pretty sure a similar approach is required for local testing on IIS.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446822

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 4:20 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Nancy O.,  Thanks for the suggestion and yes, the remote site works just fine with root-based relative links. But from a local web server development environment, I've found this to be an issue for a long, long time. I've got a brand new computer and OS and was hoping this would have already been solved by Abobe in the latest versions of Dreamweaver.

What I've been doing up to this point for IIS (for over 10 years) is to change the default root directory from "C:/inetpub/wwwroot" to "C:/inetpub/wwwroot/[my local site]", and then just use "http://localhost/" as my local web site directory location in Dreamweaver. I can't explain why it works, but it does and that's all I have cared about.

The challenge I have is that right now I'm working on maybe 20 different web sites and it would save me some time if I didn't need to change the IIS root setting each and every time I need to make a small change to one of my web sites.

The link you provided is a Apache/PHP solution (PHP I know a bit about), but I can't quite make the transition of how this would work in a IIS environment (and on a PC). I've tried creating virtual directories in IIS to see if I can make this work, but I am either doing this wrong in the Dreamweaver Site settings, OR it just doesn't work in IIS. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to ftjjr

I don't think this issue has anything to do with DW  but is rather an inherent problem with site relative links in all local testing environments. 

I'm a Linux gal so rarely use IIS environments.  But I found this MSDN article that might give you some clues on how to proceed.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb763173.aspx

Good luck,  Happy 2013!

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 5:11 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

I appreciate the help, but creating a virtual directory in IIS isn't my issue. I've done that successfully many times. The problem is how Dreamweaver sees these directories via Site Settings. If I create a virtual directory and then try to point to it in DW Site Settings, I still get a "Include file not found" error. I've confirmed that the include file is is in the location I'm pointing to.

I see the issue as being Dreamweaver because I CAN hit the local virtual directory via my browser, BUT if I enter that same URL (to this virtual directory) in DW site settings, DW can't seem to see it. If I enter a URL to a  virtual directory (or subdirectory) in DW Site Settings, I would think that Dreamweaver could use that path as the root path to that folder. This doesn't seem to work for me.

Anyone else have advice?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to Community Help

So if I get this right...

My root domain would be

http://nutriperu.com/

and my sub domain would look like

http://nutriperu.com/product.php?id_product=1372

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to Community Help

I am working in DW CS4, when i link my images to other html pages in site, a purple outline shows up. When I go live it it only shows up in Internet Explorer. Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to findshtuff

when i link my images to other html pages in site, a purple outline shows up. When I go live it it only shows up in Internet Explorer. Any suggestions?

Add the following line to your global CSS file

a img { border: none; }

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to Community Help

This doc, "Dreamweaver / About linking and navigation" only refs "site" links. Many of my docs use system-wide folder links (linked folders open in win8 File Explorer). No advice here about system-wide linking. In fact, something about DW's default setup does not like folder links. Let's review the problem.

First, when you try to create link to folder in DW, the Select File dialog opens. Relative to Document is the only option for system-wide links. There is no menu-based system-wide folder link editing functionality in DW. Pasting the folderpath in File name field is useless. So the only option is code view manual editing: foldername .

You can link to a file object in target folder and quickly edit code view link to remove file name from # tag. However, DW's extreme reliance on existing Site Structure results in links to folders on other disks as failed links to local resources relative to DW installation disk. Thus your link to a target file name on another disk is something like this:

link

the ".../.../" will not enable document linking to the folder on another disk.

Second, when you edit existing manually coded system-wide folder link, say g:\folder, you open the document in DW, right click the link, and select Change Link. DW responds with the same useless Select File dialog.

Why is this an issue for me? I am constantly writing html using Notepad (the only reliable system-wide linker provides a simple text-only interface). Extension through script and code makes browsing the fastest and most reliable way to administer and develop just about anything on a computer (networked or desktop). I have been coding this way for decades.

The problem described here is typical of DW's default, out-of-box setup configuration. How do I configure DW to edit my system-wide links?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to ftjjr

This may or may not help since my testing server is running Apache - it's also on a network mapped drive (U:).

At any rate, I have virtual servers configured in my Windows hosts file (e.g., 192.168.1.82 example.local)(the U: drive is actually on that IP, so all of my virtual servers have that same IP. On that server in the www folder, I have a folder for each site, so in this case I would have a folder in www called "example". In addition to informing Windows that I have that virtual server, I must also inform Apache (by way of the httpd.conf file which looks remarkably similar to the hosts file.

When I set up my sites, the Testing server is U:/example/ with a local/network connection, the Server folder is U:\example\, and the web URL is http://example.local. With this configuration my root relative links work just fine both locally and remotely.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 5:59 PM   in reply to Mark.Stewart

My apologies for the nul links above.

I must add, in 1987 as we coded links inside a government network, we discovered that logical linking crossing system configuration boundaries results system and hardware destruction. Today, more sophisticated network security breeds less drastic results.

On competitive (now officially deprecated) Expression Web edits, the editor crashes and must be reinstalled unless... Web Matrix and the complete VB Server system is installed, when Expression Web edits become effective and harmless.

Running Notepad (to manage just system-wide folder links) beside DW results not-too-eventual DW crash and essential re-installation or repair. Current platform resulting this gradualy resolving behavior is Windows 8 Pro and Adobe Creative Cloud CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Mark.Stewart

Mark:

I don't think I can help you. I know that DW doesn't allow such links (e.g., <a href="g:whatever_path/file") and can only suggest that you file a suggestion with the dev team. Or have you already done that?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 5:34 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Not sure where we go from here. I have submitted the suggestion... as you kindly suggested.

1. Pointed out that the free WebMatrix (mew-wm-vb) has left DW in the dust, respecting this important (some would say critical) system-wide HTML linking functionality in the Edit Tool.

2. With a phrase, indicated the end-user value of a global local html editor (ever-so humbly).

3. Made clear that DW should implement a LOCAL vs. CLOUD framework, which its current site-only framework cannot support (essentially where Microsoft has brought us, dumping its FP editor for a far too complex and NON-creative system programmer tool that happens to support HTML here and there).

Had no space in Adobe's minimalist suggestion form to example that I use Local HTML production to setup and configure my system, maintain communications, study developments, and so on. No space to point out that our mature resources are now multi-disk, even multisystem and Cloud integrated. But that would dust over the important new Cloud-Local boundary that has left DW with its head in the sand. Save the Ostriches! Seriously though...

The Security and Application complexity of moving from archaic site-only editing to Local editing is massive. Consider the logical dimensions of ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD. Consider that Microsoft's ugly new WebMatrix instantly fills half your 500GB SSD C disk just to install the basic, totally drab edit tool (updates add another 100GB). You all... WE ALL KNOW that our systems are THE platform and HTML is 100% preferable to doc and pdf notes. HTML is universal. So WE are left to struggle in neocolonial darkness with Creative Technologies that refuse to adapt to our creativity. Burrowing now into tiny little Site holes, speckled across platforms lacking cohesion that only HTML can provide.

We are masters of minimalism, or is it only me? Thanks to Microsoft (?) for moving ahead with system-wide linking, without even providing HTML page previews. LOL, anybody? DW is now the only CREATIVE SURVIVOR, wheelchair status or not. - - Change is brutal. - - As I indicated in our private, Murray, for over a quarter century I have been using Notepad to write system-wide code. Looks like I'll be doing that until I die. But I consider myself an Artist, not a Programmer. Stuck with having made the effort to announce the missing need and indicate AVAILABLE PUBLIC MARKET METHOD (however bulky, something you tinker with daily)... and trampled in the dusty dark. As usual.

Hmmm. Thank you, for shining like a star!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 5:48 AM   in reply to Mark.Stewart

Mark - good luck. As with anything in product development, all suggestions get prioritized based on how loadly the wheel squeeks, and how large the ROI is. To be candid, yours if the first such request I have seen regarding this particular capability, although it may be that I was off coding when they came in. I'll try to point some of the dev team to your analysis in this thread for their additional information and enlightenment....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points